News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 679     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Ultimately, the US is an unstoppable force- it will either get what it wants, or it will poison NAFTA and make it untenable.

Canada 'extremely worried' about NAFTA: Ambrose

“I’m hearing that people are extremely worried about where this is going, and people use language behind the scenes like 'it looks like the Americans are driving towards a cliff on this, and Canada will have to follow' and we don’t want to see that," said Ambrose in an interview with Evan Solomon, host of CTV’s Question Period.
There, the American trade negotiators put demands on the table, including on auto and dairy, that Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland called "unconventional" and "troubling" in the round four closing news conference.

"The American’s demands are completely unreasonable. They may not seem unreasonable for the Americans but they are definitely unreasonable for the Mexicans and Canadians, and they put NAFTA at risk," said Ambrose, who prior to joining the NAFTA team was interim leader of the federal Conservatives.
'Trump has set himself up to win'

The U.S. has set the stage for them to either pull out, or get the "America first" deal they’ve been seeking. Either way, that doesn’t put Canada in a very good spot, said Ambrose.

"The way things are headed, Trump wins either way, but Canada does not," she said. "Trump has set himself up to win no matter what."

Doer said Canada should "talk over the White House and over the negotiating table" and leverage the argument that though a NAFTA pullout will have consequences south of the border.

"It won’t be without consequences in the United States as well," said Doer. "It’s not necessarily a win to get a one-day headline and have unemployment in your own country," he said of Trump removing the U.S. from the deal.

Ambrose said that though the deal won’t unravel overnight if Trump tweets he’s pulling out, it would create economic uncertainty.

The one "shred of optimism"-- as Ambrose put it -- for the Canadian government is that there is about a month before round five of renegotiations get underway in Mexico Nov. 17.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-extremely-worried-about-nafta-ambrose-1.3642290

And a bit of a contradiction on Trudeau's part regarding M-103 and Quebe's Bill 62:
The hypocrisy Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau displayed last week regarding his often-stated commitment to rooting out “Islamophobia” in Canada is breathtaking.

That’s because now that he’s confronted with what, according to his own definition, is a textbook example of “Islamophobia” — Bill 62 passed last week by the Liberal government of Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard — he’s hedging his bets and running for cover.

He’s doing so even while Liberal-concocted public hearings into a Liberal MP’s so-called “anti-Islamophobia” motion, M-103, continue on Parliament Hill.
The ostensible purpose of Bill 62 is to ensure religious neutrality in the provision of public services in Quebec, both for those who provide them and the public who use them.

But in effect, Bill 62 targets Muslims, in its stipulation neither public servants nor the public they serve can have their faces covered.
Yet ever since the passage of Bill 62 in Quebec, Trudeau’s been back-pedalling and running around in circles, saying while he opposes the niqab ban and is committed to the Charter, it’s up to the Quebec government to decide the issue.

In reality, the Trudeau government can lead or participate in various legal challenges to Bill 62 -- and there’s going to be lots of them.
Indeed, given Trudeau’s previous statements that defending the right of Muslim women to wear the niqab (very few do in Canada) goes to his “core values”, it’s hard to see how he can pursue any other course of action and retain his credibility.

But, for now, Trudeau is clearly worried that taking such a public stand on the issue could undermine federal Liberal support in Quebec — particularly during a federal byelection race to be decided Monday — since Bill 62 has broad popular appeal there.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/21/bill-62-shows-trudeaus-islamophobia-hypocrisy

Yes my guy is not that bad because another guy from the other side sucked to... Very grown-up debate :)

Joe Oliver was not very good but he did not ethical issues.

I think Trudeau lack of a strong finance minister will become an albatross if the deficits continue to grow or the economy slows down.

I was just curious what people thought about Joe Oliver.

Ultimately, the US is an unstoppable force- it will either get what it wants, or it will poison NAFTA and make it untenable.
We do not need to be too worried. If NAFTA is rejected, we simply revert back to the Canada-USA Free Trade Agreement signed in 1987 that preceeded NAFTA.

Really? You're gonna say that while Donald Trump is at the centre of negotiations?
I may not like Trump's style, but at least I understand that he wants to get the best trade deal for Canada.
Canada responds by discussing transgender issues and native issues at a trade meeting - even though these were not a thought when negotiating with China.

How does "America First" Trump want to get the best deal for... Canada? That makes absolutely no sense.
oops - Freudian slip

I may not like Trump's style, but at least I understand that he wants to get the best trade deal for America.
Canada responds by discussing transgender issues and native issues at a trade meeting - even though these were not a thought when negotiating with China - is obviously not after the best deal for Canada. Just trying to score political point to the domestic market.

Unless the US cancels that, too.
I doubt Trump even realizes that there is a FTA with Canada prior to NAFTA.

He'll parade that he canceled NAFTA and ignore that the same thing basically still exists with Canada through a pre-dating deal.

I believe the most notable difference for Canada between the FTA and NAFTA is softwood lumber, which canceling NAFTA will disadvantage us on. So, I see that is a pretty clear starting point for any negotiations since we have the predating FTA to fall back on.

oops - Freudian slip

I may not like Trump's style, but at least I understand that he wants to get the best trade deal for America.
Canada responds by discussing transgender issues and native issues at a trade meeting - even though these were not a thought when negotiating with China - is obviously not after the best deal for Canada. Just trying to score political point to the domestic market.
Do you honestly think transgender issues and native issues are the only thing they are bringing to the table? And if they want to discuss these things, so what? Trade and social issues are not mutually exclusive.

By the way, human rights is an adult issue.

Do you honestly think transgender issues and native issues are the only thing they are bringing to the table? And if they want to discuss these things, so what? Trade and social issues are not mutually exclusive.

By the way, human rights is an adult issue.

Considering Canada has signed trade agreements without caring about social issues in the past ..

To me it is a trend for Justin Trudeau and the liberals to talk about such issues to score political points than actually do much about them.

Trudeau main goal is like harpers, keep the base happy...

Only needs 38-39% of the people to vote for him to win the next election because he lied and never changed the electoral system :)

You can sense my cynicism has returned to Canada, it never really left.

Would you guys want a proportional representation system? It would be interesting if the NDP, Liberals and CPC had to work together. My only concern is fringe groups getting representation, though they could set a 5% threshold to get in.

Would you guys want a proportional representation system? It would be interesting if the NDP, Liberals and CPC had to work together. My only concern is fringe groups getting representation, though they could set a 5% threshold to get in.
Electoral reform is dead in this country, at least until the late 2020s I’d say.

I would like the ranked ballots approach so that people had the freedom to vote for the top candidate that they liked but then rate the next best and so on. A 5% threshold to get in would be fine in my view.

Back