News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 460     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

It's rather simple...

You cant bitch and complain if the Tories eventually get into power in the 2020s with 39% or so of the vote.

The liberals had a chance to stop that and put their own self-interest first.

I would like the ranked ballots approach so that people had the freedom to vote for the top candidate that they liked but then rate the next best and so on. A 5% threshold to get in would be fine in my view.
And then the Liberals win a super-majority every single electoral cycle. (I have done class assignments where I calculcated the results using election polls, under ranked ballot. It gets ugly for everyone not named Liberals.)

Ranked ballot would be terrible at the provincial or federeal level. It would be great for municipal elections though.

I would like the ranked ballots approach so that people had the freedom to vote for the top candidate that they liked but then rate the next best and so on. A 5% threshold to get in would be fine in my view.

That would prevent a fringe group like the Christian Heritage Party from getting seats.

And then the Liberals win a super-majority every single electoral cycle. (I have done class assignments where I calculcated the results using election polls, under ranked ballot. It gets ugly for everyone not named Liberals.)

Ranked ballot would be terrible at the provincial or federeal level. It would be great for municipal elections though.
Curious as to why that would be? I too would like ranked ballots for municipalities first.

Curious as to why that would be? I too would like ranked ballots for municipalities first.
For which? The first or second sentence?

For the first, it is because Liberals are overwhelmingly most Conservative and NDP voters second-choice, and are likely to remain so, so long as more parties do not appear. Ranked ballot is a majoritarian system, and majoritarian systems (just as in plurality systems such as FPTP) discourage multi-party systems. So I don't think it would encourage more political parties in the center to split the Liberal vote.

For the second half, at the Toronto municipal level, we do not have political parties. So ranked ballots are great simple measure to ensure candidates win based on majority rather than plurality, encourage more people to run and actively campaign in all parts of their Ward, and aids against incumbency advantage.

Last edited:
Ultimately it shows that the Liberals and Conservatives are more similar than people would think- corporatist at heart- with a thin glaze of either vapid social justice or bluntminded social conservatism on top.

Andrew Scheer's use of 'super lucrative' tax shelter hypocritical, Liberal MP says
'Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house,' MP says of Scheer's attacks on Finance Minister Morneau

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/andrew-scheer-rrsp-for-rich-people-hypocritical-1.4375171

Ultimately it shows that the Liberals and Conservatives are more similar than people would think- corporatist at heart- with a thin glaze of either vapid social justice or bluntminded social conservatism on top.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/andrew-scheer-rrsp-for-rich-people-hypocritical-1.4375171
How stupid do the Liberals, and the CBC wing of the Liberal Party, think we are:
  • Sheer invested $75,000 vs. Morneau with $20M.
  • Sheer told ethics commissioner vs. Morneau lying that he put in blind trust.
  • Sheer is in opposition vs. Morneau having directly regulatory powers over his company.

You beat me to it. It seems that everyone has undeclared assets, but I am not freaking out over it. Let me know when Trudeau is selling Canadian secrets to Russia or something like that...

Nice try. The opposite really, since the House and Senate passed the Magnitsky Act without opposition.

Also, Scheer is showing out of touch he is on the drug issue. The feds want to follow the Portugal method and decriminalize all drugs and get people into treatment programs, which has worked for them. I would have no issue with that being the case in Canada.

Last edited:

Back