News   Apr 26, 2024
 174     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 165     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 599     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

And having plenty of Toronto representation in the first Harris government (1995-1999) didn't help. The OPCs even took Toronto Centre-Rosedale that term (Al Leach).
Actually, TC-R didn't exist provincially in 1995 (that came when the Harris Tories made federal and provincial ridings the same). Leach won in St George-St David--and in a 3-way squeaker, despite Rosedale's favourable presence.

Certainly Toronto voters have some reason to believe the provincial PC Party will be harmful to them. The PC's anti-Toronto record includes:

Cancellation of the Eglinton Subway (for which tunneling had started)
Forcing amalgamation on us in the face of pretty overwhelming opposition (no amalgamation for Conservative-voting Kitchener Waterloo, though)
Market value assessment - fundamentally a wealth tax on higher-valued Toronto real estate for the portion of our property taxes used kicked to the Province for education funding

Truly sad how you are still haunted by the Mike Harris ghost from 20 years ago. You are one of those people who need to stop living in the past and you are a big reason why we can't move forward!

I've predicted for quite some time an increase in Conservative voters in Downtown Toronto, both provincial and federal. Consider the influx of young suburbanites downtown, and a growing cluster of professionals in the condo corridors. These aren't the urbane, granola crunchers who elected the likes of Dan Heap three decades ago. The newer residents work in tech or financial services and hold some conservative sensibilities.

Downtown Vancouver, for instance, has surprisingly high CPC support.

These people are not social conservatives. ^^^

They sort of pay a ton of taxes already and are not really fans of 'yeah I should pay more taxes for the greater good type'

Truly sad how you are still haunted by the Mike Harris ghost from 20 years ago. You are one of those people who need to stop living in the past and you are a big reason why we can't move forward!

Moving forward is desirable - but it cannot be done with conservatives. While I generally support the NDP, the Liberals are implementing traditionally left-wing policies with which I entirely agree and which they could have simply promised to implement in the hope of being reelected, and so I am inclined to support them in the next election despite their mistakes. Policy is all I care about; the hostility towards Wynne has become some of kind irrational bandwagon many people mindlessly hop onto. Many who support the Conservatives are concerned with the debt and government spending; but with the deficit very low or eliminated and spending among the lowest per capita in the country - and considering the Conservatives rather poor track record in this particular area - their solutions would be the opposite of what we need.

And what we need, in my opinion, is to increase taxes to invest in health care, including long-term care (where Ontario's offer is considerably inferior to that of Québec). Our problem is insufficient revenue.

Moving forward is desirable - but it cannot be done with conservatives.
Allow me to nuance that: With *these* "Conservatives".

Ontario was at its most progressive and productive under the Blue Machine. That ability and foresight is lost on the present Neo-Cons who phrase and parse everything in terms of absolutes and heavy-handedness.
How the Big Blue Machine dominated Ontario politics for more than four decades

Steve Paikin
Published on Aug 04, 2016

It was on this date 73 years ago that one of the most successful political dynasties in the history of the western world made its debut. And it happened right here in the province of Ontario. [...]
http://tvo.org/blog/current-affairs...d-ontario-politics-for-more-than-four-decades

Their formula? Govern from the Centre, embrace progressive ideas, and treat the electorate with respect. I find it the height of hypocrisy that some of the present 'Conservatives' have no sense of history or proportion on matters of governance.

This is not a defence of Wynne, just to point out that *by default* she remains a viable option in light of how the other choices are even less appealing.

It might behoove the Neo-Cons well to refer to the history of the Ontario PC Party, instead of ranting from the Trump Fake Song Book.

Moving forward is desirable - but it cannot be done with conservatives

Then try the NDP for 4 years. We have to give someone else a try and I am willing to see what Horwath could do as a Premier. I also think that the Liberals should have been given a chance to govern during that dominant reign by the Conservatives.

Last edited:
Then try the NDP for 4 years. We have to give someone else a try and I am willing to see what Horwath could do as a Premier. I also think that the Liberals should have been given a chance to govern during that dominant reign by the Conservatives.

I am open to the possibility. Over the past few years, they have been rather timid in their proposals; suggesting a mini-pharmacare plan covering only 150 medications is an example. There is no need for the NDP to rush to the right during an election campaign in the hope of winning votes, and I hope they will not repeat that mistake next year. Right now, I am not sure what they can suggest to win my vote other than good long-term care proposals or OHIP coverage of dental care. Wynne-bashing isn't going to work for me.

I am open to the possibility. Over the past few years, they have been rather timid in their proposals; suggesting a mini-pharmacare plan covering only 150 medications is an example. There is no need for the NDP to rush to the right during an election campaign in the hope of winning votes, and I hope they will not repeat that mistake next year. Right now, I am not sure what they can suggest to win my vote other than good long-term care proposals or OHIP coverage of dental care. Wynne-bashing isn't going to work for me.
Lots of people are OPEN to voting NDP, many of us have done so in the past. The problem now is that the current NDP seem to be unclear of what they intend to do (or they want to do stupid things because 'that's what lefties do'); the right(er) wing of the Tories is quite scary and Brown simply says whatever he thinks will get him elected this week. The Liberals certainly have their failings (let me count their ways!) but they are certainly better than the Tories and probably better than the NDP. Lots to think about before June!

Calm down or you will be reported. No need for the over-the-top posts

Actually, because this is Ontario and Toronto, it should be amended to read "Trump/Ford Fake Song Book."

Which is really part of the current PC dilemma in Toronto relative to the Big Blue Machine of yore; their power base being oxygen-hogged by one form or another of least-denominator Ford-archipelago populism...

What the Conservatives even did that was so unforgivable baffles the mind. Tory, Hudak, Brown... how many generations of leaders later is the party still going to be punished, meanwhile the Liberals get away with their schemes and crimes? It's like some people cannot see the forest for the trees. Change in government can be a good thing.

What the Conservatives even did that was so unforgivable baffles the mind. Tory, Hudak, Brown... how many generations of leaders later is the party still going to be punished, meanwhile the Liberals get away with their schemes and crimes? It's like some people cannot see the forest for the trees. Change in government can be a good thing.

I still predict that the sale of Hydro One will be the new 407 Sale, but with far worse consequences.

I know that the NDP and Conservatives aren't planning much for transit, but I actually think the Liberals have been underwhelming. We make fun of Del Duca photo ops for a reason.

Back