News   May 03, 2024
 200     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 336     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 773     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

That's surprising considering how many MAJOR subway entrances still don't take Presto...St George and the Melinda/PATH entrance to King station stand out as high-traffic ones with many metropass users.
Presumably riders know this, and will make their decisions accordingly. I believe they are still selling tickets, despite not working in the very same locations!

I just checked the Presto site and it won't let me purchase passes for the TTC. I guess they sold out?
It just let me put one in my basket just now.

I went and programmed my card using my health card as ID but I believe a passport will do as well. I'm surprised your kids don't have student ID cards since every school in my area including mine needs one.
Hmm... they must have student ID cards then.

I'll take them to the Shoppers on Queen to get set up. I trust it can be all done in one visit, as opposed to getting the card, going home to set it up, and then returning to activate it?

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/find-an-outlet/customer-service-outlets

I'll take them to the Shoppers on Queen to get set up. I trust it can be all done in one visit, as opposed to getting the card, going home to set it up, and then returning to activate it?

I'm not 100% sure on that, actually. I distinctly recall that registration USED to be a prerequisite for other fare categories, but upon checking now, neither the Presto nor TTC websites say that it's necessary, and I've heard it said that you can do it all in one go, so it seems they might have changed that to make purchase/setup easier.

However, for the student discount, your kids will definitely each need to be physically present with a) valid government issued photo ID with date of birth, e.g. passport/health card, or b) valid high school student ID.

You can purchase cards on their behalf, but you can't set them to Student, they will just be basic adult cards. To change them to Student cards, your kids will first need to register their cards/create accounts (you can potentially do this for them, online); then they each personally have to go to a customer service outlet (Davisville, any GO station, the 10 new Shoppers Drug Mart outlets, etc.) with the appropriate ID, and have the card set to Student.
I'm not entirely sure if this is true. I was tweeting with TTCHelps on Saturday, as I was on my way to Union with child, and just healthcare card, and they were saying I needed photo ID for my 4-year old. Given that Ontario doesn't put photos on healthcare cards until the age of 16, it seems a bizarre requirement.

Also this was a brand new card - I'm still trying to register it, etc. (odd, I tapped it on a streetcar this morning, which should have finished the process - though I guess not 24 hours yet).

Still, I went up to the counter at Union GO - and not only did they say they didn't need photo ID. They didn't need ANY id. I didn't even need the child. When they found out he was 4, they simply changed his birth year from 2012 to 2010 to kludge the computer, and told me to come back in 2 to 7 years to fix it.

I'm not sure that the TTC is launching student-specific cards. I know they were throwing around the idea of having cards with photo ID, but at this point I think that would only be necessary for post-secondary students, since the student fare category has become much less rigid (just 13-19 years of age now). That's still pretty nebulous and not guaranteed to happen, and there's no way to know that every student would definitely have to buy a new card--that would cause public outrage, I'm sure.
Hard to say. They still won't set Presto to child or student at Davisville, and they didn't sell student or post-secondary student passes on-line.

I'm scratching my head how they go to Photo requirements for kids Presto cards, if they don't have them anywhere else. How is that enforceable. If it was enforced, what could the penalty be, given it's free anyways for children - and for any other age bracket, they are still paying the correct amount. I can't see any court enforcing payment of a fine, if the correct fare was paid!

All a bit odd.
I went and programmed my card using my health card as ID but I believe a passport will do as well. I'm surprised your kids don't have student ID cards since every school in my area including mine needs one.
Even if they did, High School does only cover 4 years of the 19-year eligibility for discounted or free fares.

Do you need any ID for student? Seems odd to require photo ID for a 13-year old, as many wouldn't have a passport, and getting one would cost $57, which is quite a barrier. Most people are 14-15 when they start Grade 9. So there's a gap there.

I'll take them to the Shoppers on Queen to get set up.
I don't think you need to bring the kid with you. Heck, based on the child Presto, you may not need anything but to remember their birthdate! Though perhaps Shoppers plays by different rules than GO. You keep talking about driving to work - do you go near a GO station? At http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx the only talk of needing ID, is for post-secondary students.

Edit - oh, this might be relevant. TTC have updated http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Seniors_students_and_children/index.jsp to say "You will be required to show your child’s birth certificate or passport when setting a child fare on a PRESTO card at Shoppers Drug Mart."

But that's certainly not necessary at GO Transit. So student fares might be different too. My suggestion is to simply go alone to a GO station - preferably Union, as they are the best trained.

Last edited:
What do I do for my kid entering Grade 8 in Sept? Elementary schools do not issue photo ID. I can use their passport to prove age when we obtain the presto card, but they have no photo ID to carry on them to prove their identity or age if challenged on the TTC. This whole thing seems silly, there's no ID required to use student tickets, my kids just drop them in the box and go.

What do I do for my kid entering Grade 8 in Sept? Elementary schools do not issue photo ID. I can use their passport to prove age when we obtain the presto card, but they have no photo ID to carry on them to prove their identity or age if challenged on the TTC. This whole thing seems silly, there's no ID required to use student tickets, my kids just drop them in the box and go.
These smart cards should be "smart" right?
Can they can program a lifespan onto them? Let's say on issuance they determine the age of the child and they program the card to have a lifespan until the child reaches 12. Then at that point it will have to be reactivated. In terms of access don't they already have a different tone for child or student? Imo they are really going too paranoid with the who prove your age thing. In 99% of the time a childs card will be used by a child. Are we that distrustful of our society that we need photo ID just to ride a bus??

These smart cards should be "smart" right?
Can they can program a lifespan onto them? Let's say on issuance they determine the age of the child and they program the card to have a lifespan until the child reaches 12. Then at that point it will have to be reactivated. In terms of access don't they already have a different tone for child or student? Imo they are really going too paranoid with the who prove your age thing. In 99% of the time a childs card will be used by a child. Are we that distrustful of our society that we need photo ID just to ride a bus??

Post-secondary student for GO has to renewed each school year, so a "lifespan" is definitely doable for the Presto card at least.

Is it possible that the TTC will start issuing a photo ID card for all youth who want to take advantage of discounted fare? (as they already do for highschool students?)

Is it possible that the TTC will start issuing a photo ID card for all youth who want to take advantage of discounted fare? (as they already do for highschool students?)

imo they are really going overboard with the whole photo id thing. Do oyster, IC, or octopus card students have to have photo id to prove their age?
they should observe what the established networks are doing and implement what works instead of trying to reinvent things as usual.

imo they are really going overboard with the whole photo id thing. Do oyster, IC, or octopus card students have to have photo id to prove their age?
they should observe what the established networks are doing and implement what works instead of trying to reinvent things as usual.

Oyster does require photo ID for student cards, however, it's a special version of the card that includes a photo of you. (Though you still need to bring in photo ID to get the privilege)

From the Oyster website:
If you're 18 or over, live at a London address during term time and in full-time education, or on a mandatory work placement in London, you may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard.

If you're 18 and live in London you may still be eligible for a Zip 16+ Oyster photocard which offers half price travel on rail services and free travel on buses.

To apply, you must be enrolled:

• With a school, college or university that's registered on the TfL scheme and
  • On a mandatory work placement in London or
  • On an eligible full-time or part-time course
You'll need:

• A colour digital photo to upload
  • Your student enrolment ID from your school, college or university
  • Your course start and end dates
  • A credit or debit card to pay the £20 fee
  • An active email address

Oyster does require photo ID for student cards, however, it's a special version of the card that includes a photo of you. (Though you still need to bring in photo ID to get the privilege)

From the Oyster website:

that seems more reasonable compared to ttc double dipping with their photocard. I guess once presto is fully implemented there will be different (hopefully if theyre smart enough) versions for different groups

that seems more reasonable compared to ttc double dipping with their photocard. I guess once presto is fully implemented there will be different (hopefully if theyre smart enough) versions for different groups

The TTC photo card is $5.25, vs around $40CAD for the Oyster version. I wouldn't say it's double dipping. It's just an extra trip.

The TTC photo card is $5.25, vs around $40CAD for the Oyster version. I wouldn't say it's double dipping. It's just an extra trip.

I was more concerned about the double complexity of having to pay and then prove your age as well. pricewise, that could be worked out

I don't understand why any transit customer would prefer passes over capping, unless they enjoy parting with their money. You don't have to pay for a full month of transit upfront and you'd never have to pay more than the pass price. Why would anyone prefer passes?

I agree. Capping benefits every transit user. I used to be a metropass user even though I rarely used the 45 trips a month to get my money's worth, I use TTC to commute most days but there are always a couple days a month where I don't. For me the metropass was convenient so I didn't have to worry if I had tokens or change. Once presto was available on all buses on my commute I switched and use auto-loading, now I'm saving $20-$30 a month and it's even more convenient since I don't have to buy a metropass every month.

Back