News   May 03, 2024
 862     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 536     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

Toronto Bike Share

So I joined Bikeshare mostly out of spite (a squeaky wheel in the neighborhood is trying to get a Bikeshare station removed from a park). I think it's $50 for a year if you have a presto card.

I've used it 10 times so far, so I guess that's $5 a trip and falling quickly. It's been handy when I've had a flat tire, or do a 1-way trip (for example bike into work, TTC home).

The bikes are worse to use than I thought. The seat is height-adjustable, but the handlebars are too low for me. The gearing is low so I just leave it in "3" the whole time. Brakes are phenomenal. Ride is cushy. I wouldn't want to ride one for much more than 4 or 5 km, but then again most of my trips are 3km anyway.

So I joined Bikeshare mostly out of spite (a squeaky wheel in the neighborhood is trying to get a Bikeshare station removed from a park). I think it's $50 for a year if you have a presto card.

I've used it 10 times so far, so I guess that's $5 a trip and falling quickly. It's been handy when I've had a flat tire, or do a 1-way trip (for example bike into work, TTC home).

The bikes are worse to use than I thought. The seat is height-adjustable, but the handlebars are too low for me. The gearing is low so I just leave it in "3" the whole time. Brakes are phenomenal. Ride is cushy. I wouldn't want to ride one for much more than 4 or 5 km, but then again most of my trips are 3km anyway.

Back when I had a membership that was my usage scenario too, 1-way trips. A lot of times in the core wanting to take a pretty short trip somewhere didn't have a direct TTC route that would save time vs walking, so bikeshare saved me a bit of time vs walking. Also, a lot of times I'd have a streetcar short turn with a huge crowd and a long wait for the next one, or service would be suspended/detouring altogether...in those cases I no longer had to weigh my options or think about anything, I'd just hop on bikeshare, either to an in-service TTC route or to my destination if I was already close.

I'm not an avid cyclist or especially fit so I actually find the gearing good. When I was using them regularly and got into the habit of it I found 3 pretty comfortable but a little high effort. The ride/suspension was great, I agree with you there, just I found the seat cushions to be absolute murder--I actually found a little gel seat cover at Canadian Tire that I carried around in my bag if I expected to potentially take a longer trip, which took the edge off. Agreed, also, about the handlebars/some of the overall proportions of the bike, but one-size-fits-all has those limitations.

Definitely a useful service. I got the membership because there was a $50 annual groupbuy deal, when they stopped doing those and it went back to $90 and cut the monthly membership I said no way, and let them know I found cutting the monthly membership especially ridiculous. That said, the Presto option is great, but they don't offer it to existing members and $50 is for the first year only, so they'll never see me subscribing to a membership in the future. I've gotten a day pass once in a blue moon, and that's all.

The Transit App integration is another big plus recently--it's great to just press a button in the app, have my saved credit card billed $7, and get a ride code, and not spend 10 minutes fiddling with the kiosk screen, although the new ones look WAY better than the awfully slow and unreadable-in-sunlight old ones.

It looks like a Bike Share Toronto competitor is coming to Toronto this summer:

https://dropbike.ca/

From the website
Step 1: coat your white clothing in wheel grime

upload_2017-5-16_11-25-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-16_11-25-20.png
    upload_2017-5-16_11-25-20.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 318
Who is backing this and will the City allow a rival? Though I do not think Bixi I is perfect I doubt we can support 2 companies. (Before anyone complains, I know it's not called Bixi anymore.)

I like competition- the more the merrier.

That being said I think there will be some issues with a for-profit bike service occupying public bike posts around the city- but I think that should be an excuse to add even more bike posts around the city.

That being said I think there will be some issues with a for-profit bike service occupying public bike posts around the city
Heck yes that will be a problem. Especially in prime areas where there's limited space for posts and it's hard to get a spot to lock up.
but I think that should be an excuse to add even more bike posts around the city.
Taxpayers should have to pay to modify our current system to squeeze this company in? No, that wouldn't be fair. They should have to be the ones to fund new bike posts / racks.

I think there's a massive opportunity for local businesses to offer lockup locations/posts on their properties in exchange for advertisement on whatever app they're using (maybe a named pin showing a lockup location + some info on the business).

Think of it- businesses basically get free foot traffic and there'll be many more places to possibly pick up/drop off a bike rather than bikesharing centralized in certain places.

That being said, it will be a bit more complicated in ensuring that an even spread of bicycles across the city is maintained in that manner.

Last edited:
Taxpayers should have to pay to modify our current system to squeeze this company in?

Why not? It's no different than taxpayers funding public transit, bike lanes, electric car charging stations. Improving people's commuting options requires building the infrastructure that's necessary for those commuting options to be viable.

Back