News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 561     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

It's feasible but not really worth the cost. The tunnels aren't large enough for the LRTs being used on the rest of the TTC network (subway tunnels are ~3.5 meters in diameter, LRT tunnels for the Flexities are ~3.7 meters in diameter), and the platforms in the stations are way too high.

The TTC could adopt some technology that uses both low floors & pantographs, and high floors & third rail. They could also make Sheppard a high-floor LRT. But in either of those cases, it would still need some retrofitting and it would be an orphan technology.

Finding a way to convert the subway stub to LRT is likely the only way we won't see a subway being built here. For reasons you mention and optical reasons of pissing off area commuters and Politicians having to admit to a mistake it will never happen. If the SSE is built, it become even more likely as there is really only one missing chain link to the "belt" which is already heavily supported by locals. Surely it will be another dragged out debated and assaulted by outside opposition until the day it opens. But as long as the funding indicated "LRT" with suspiciously no movement on LRT. I guess one could make the case for it.

Neither does the prospect of LRT through Brampton.
Shepppard East LRT is unmentioned in the 2017 budget
I am concerned about this but I hope a resolution soon. Forget Brampton at this point, they don't want it.
How feasible would it be to retroactively convert the Sheppard Stubway into fitting LRT vehicle and that way would produce a transferless rout along Sheppard?

It's feasible but not really worth the cost. The tunnels aren't large enough for the LRTs being used on the rest of the TTC network (subway tunnels are ~3.5 meters in diameter, LRT tunnels for the Flexities are ~3.7 meters in diameter), and the platforms in the stations are way too high.

The TTC could adopt some technology that uses both low floors & pantographs, and high floors & third rail. They could also make Sheppard a high-floor LRT. But in either of those cases, it would still need some retrofitting and it would be an orphan technology.

Finding a way to convert the subway stub to LRT is likely the only way we won't see a subway being built here. For reasons you mention and optical reasons of pissing off area commuters and Politicians having to admit to a mistake it will never happen. If the SSE is built, it become even more likely as there is really only one missing chain link to the "belt" which is already heavily supported by locals. Surely it will be another dragged out debated and assaulted by outside opposition until the day it opens. But as long as the funding indicated "LRT" with suspiciously no movement on LRT. I guess one could make the case for it.
Well the Sheppard LRT would be more likely then the Sheppard if people in Scarborough are satisfied. But I don't think so. I always said the line 2/green line extension would lead to a purple line/line 4 completion. It may happen before the DRL even.

Why not connect the west side to Downsview and the east side to STC as a subway? The problem right now is it basically goes no where and serves no purpose. Built out, it would serve a great purpose.

With what money?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't think that I said to build it now... I am saying that instead of making the mistake that was the SRT, don't build the Sheppard East LRT. Instead, when money become available, build it out as a subway.

First, that was more of a swap than a shift, given that $330 million worth of provincial cash was to be shifted from the Finch West LRT to the Sheppard East LRT.

Second, this says the request was made. Offhand, I've never seen any announcement that it actually happened. Has anyone seen anything?

I haven't seen the new Master Agreement between the City, TTC, and the province yet either. Has that been signed?

Can we please stuff Scarborough with more buses and build them a curb lane BRT? Wait till the older (subway loving) generation departs from this world then go back to this discussion.

Can we please stuff Scarborough with more buses and build them a curb lane BRT? Wait till the older (subway loving) generation departs from this world then go back to this discussion.
Are you for certain the currently younger generation will not have the same mentality when they themselves become the older generation in the future?

Are you for certain the currently younger generation will not have the same mentality when they themselves become the older generation in the future?
Hopefully more people out there with degrees can make a difference.

I am in my 30s, so that may be a while......
We can wait... till 2050 when a subway is necessary.

The reason why I'm against a subway is the limited neighbourhood would have access to better transit. Essentially when everyone talks Scarborough, they meant everyone between VP and McCowan. LRTs give the other half east of McCowan (the poorer half that needs transit) better access. With both Sheppard and Scarborough subways, places Malvern is pretty screwed. The city would have ran out of money long before anything decent gets to the edge of the city. Orton Park and Rouge Hill are already getting screwed with a longer bus ride to Kennedy.

Rouge Hill has the Lakeshore GO line which will become RER. It's already all day/two way operation. It should be utilized more by feeding more buses to it. Once the SmartTrack is up, areas along that line will have semi-decent rapid transit to the city centre.

It's North East Scarborough that's screwed. The next party to be in power after next election will decide the fate of Scarborough I suspect. That's when design will reach 30%, prices will skyrocket to $7B for one stop and PC party wins power campaigning to cancel it.

Back