News   May 03, 2024
 244     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 615     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

April 09
Gormley is out on the boondocks with farm land around it with a very small inside waiting area compare to the size of the station.
More up on site
34052830176_534e5eae30_b.jpg

34052831626_93a1cd6a58_b.jpg

34052832256_0a27715182_b.jpg

34052833456_3f6dfd9459_b.jpg

34052835366_5cfa507855_b.jpg

34052852876_55af039c95_b.jpg

33251147924_ac7ded123a_b.jpg

34052871946_22ef0be78b_b.jpg

33251150064_c2cd8c6b35_b.jpg

An article in the Cambridge Times had some details on the potential improvements and construction for the Kitchener Corridor. Since there were a lot of details about the bypass, I've posted a link to the article and highlights in the 407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link thread.

Last edited:
The GO Construction topic is referenced in Budget 2017 on page 152:

GO Rail Extensions and Expansion

Working with freight rail partners, Ontario is also moving forward with extending GO rail service to Bowmanville and Niagara, and expanding service to Kitchener.
  • The 20‐kilometre extension of the Lakeshore East GO corridor from Oshawa to Bowmanville is expected to be in service by 2023–24. This GO rail extension will serve Durham residents with four proposed new stations at Thornton Road and Ritson Road in Oshawa, Courtice Road in Courtice and Martin Road in Bowmanville.
  • Weekday GO rail service between the future Confederation GO Station in Hamilton and the Niagara Region is expected to begin in 2021, with service to Niagara Falls by 2023. In addition to this station in Hamilton, three new or upgraded train stations are proposed along the corridor in Grimsby, St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.
  • Planning and technical analyses are underway to enable two‐way, all‐day GO rail service along the Kitchener corridor.
  • SmartTrack The Province and the City of Toronto have agreed to an integrated GO RER/SmartTrack service concept, which includes six new stations along the Kitchener and Stouffville/Lakeshore East GO rail corridors within the City of Toronto, and a western extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT to Pearson International Airport. The Province and the City have reached an agreement on the sharing of capital and ongoing operating and maintenance costs.
Ontario welcomes the federal government’s commitment to invest about $1.9 billion in portions of the GO RER project, and will continue to seek partnership with the federal government to advance transit and transportation projects across the province.

The Kitchener two-way service does not have a projected in service date, and is only seeing study and analysis. That's less specific than the other routes, which at least have projected dates.

- Paul

The Kitchener two-way service does not have a projected in service date, and is only seeing study and analysis. That's less specific than the other routes, which at least have projected dates.

- Paul

It might not have a projected service date in this document but it's been said in other places/media articles/quotes (IE here). Not sure why there's an inconsistency and if it's intentional.

Guess it'll be interesting to see what they need to do to get CN to agree (as they had noted below the image) as the 2018 election gets closer. It's a good point about tracking points from previous budgets, even ones further back from 2016. I did a quick search for "2016" and "Budget 2016". There are too many hits for "2016", and many for "2016 Budget". A specific term only comes up twice "As announced in the 2016 Budget". All of the reference to 2016 would appear to be (not surprisingly for their own purposes), positive.

They are a lot less specific this year compared to last year for the word "trips". Only three references and all aggregate and towards the known 2024-25 timeline.
  • Increasing the number of weekly trips and two-way service across the GO rail network to provide more options to commuters and travellers
  • The GO rail system will be transformed through the GO Regional Express Rail initiative, which will quadruple the number of weekly trips from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2024–25
  • The number of scheduled trips across the entire GO rail network is expected to grow from approximately 1,500 per week to nearly 6,000 once the GO RER is delivered by 2024–25
Given what they did last year and the result referenced, maybe the government learned its lesson?

before a new budget is introduced, the finance minister should have to go over the key commitments from the previous budget and address what was achieved...what was not and explain the failures....that way things like this just don't drop off the radar

View attachment 107024

Last edited:
I think we can reasonably assume they've saved themselves some 'good news' to be rolled out post budget.

The question is which good news, and when.

But have no fear, the King of photo-ops will soon be on the prowl once more.

I'm personally more interested in seeing the previous service expansion commitments honoured.

ie. Weekday Stouffville, Weekday Barrie (both off-peak, 2-way, hourly); same for Weekends and 2-way rush hours for the K-W corridor to Mt. Pleasant and
extending Lakeshore service off-peak to West Harbour.

That said, I expect a few construction announcements, if they don't get Lakeshore East track expansion and grade seps. started by year end I think that would look awful.

Just reviewing what has been stated on K-W west of Mt. Pleasant: (Optimistic references elsewhere besides)
Apr 07, 2017 |
Significant work required to bring two-way all-day GO trains to Kitchener

Waterloo Region Record
By Brent Davis

KITCHENER — Metrolinx officials say 2024 remains the goal for introducing two-way, all-day GO Train service to Kitchener, but considerable work is required to make that happen.

2024 "is still the objective," director of service planning Chris Burke said following an information session in Kitchener Friday. But specifics on the service, such as the number of trips that may be offered each day, remain elusive.

"We do try to model what is the right service level," said chief communications officer Judy Pfeifer, adding that those service models haven't been released.

Currently, there are four morning trains and four afternoon trains between Kitchener and Toronto, and $1.2 billion was invested between 2010 and 2015 to improve the corridor between the two cities. But extensive new construction and upgrades are still required to further boost service and speed trips up to the 70- or 75-minute range from the current two hours or so.

A fourth track needs to be constructed between Union Station and the Mount Pleasant GO station in Brampton, while a second 52 kilometre-long track is required between Georgetown and Kitchener. A new tunnel under Highway 401 will be built, and signalling and communication systems need to be upgraded

There's also the matter of building a new 30-kilometre rail bypass between Bramalea and Milton to shift freight trains off a corridor that's currently shared with GO trains.

That project in itself could require up to 35 new bridges, the relocation or modification of up to 17 hydro towers and relocating up to 3.4 kilometres of major gas lines. A total of 60 kilometres of new track would be laid (two tracks at 30 kilometres each), a new signal system is required and a new grade separation would be built where the new bypass meets the existing rail corridor.

While an agreement in principle with CN Rail for the bypass has been reached, a formal agreement is still needed.

Ideally, service to Kitchener would also be electrified by 2024, Burke said. But that would require overhead wiring and other electrical infrastructure and a new fleet to replace the current diesel trains.

Last week, the federal government announced $752 million in funding to help improve infrastructure along the Kitchener rail corridor. On Friday, Metrolinx officials couldn't provide a total budget for the project to bring two-way, all-day service to Kitchener, but said all of the required work has been funded. It's part of $30 billion in ongoing investment to improve transit in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas.

"The amount of infrastructure being built is significant, and the investment is significant," Pfeifer said.
http://www.therecord.com/news-story...bring-two-way-all-day-go-trains-to-kitchener/

Ther looks to be some work going on along the part of the line that runs between Kennedy and Lawrence East Station on the SRT line. They are clearing and leveling land it looks like they are building a second track in that area.

The GO Construction topic is referenced in Budget 2017 on page 152:

You missed the important bit. Table 6-16 on page 243 shows $7,176B in transit spending over 2017/2018 year, up from $3.8B last year. That's $5.4B provincial dollars and $1.7B from federal/municipal partners (so federal package + smart track tender?). Eglinton payments escalate as work continues but that's a small fraction of this spending. It looks like they're expecting to hit financial close on a number of additional tenders, probably the GO RER track work packages (though nothing explicitly states that).

Hamilton, Finch, and Mississauga LRT aren't enough to cover the spending increase (~$3.5B over 5 years) so I've got to assume a big chunk of that is deposits on things expected to be tendered.

I'm hoping this means Metrolinx will go tender crazy through May/June; as they've got to issue a ton of cheques for vendors by April 2018.

Last edited:
I think we can reasonably assume they've saved themselves some 'good news' to be rolled out post budget.

The question is which good news, and when.

But have no fear, the King of photo-ops will soon be on the prowl once more.

I'm personally more interested in seeing the previous service expansion commitments honoured.

ie. Weekday Stouffville, Weekday Barrie (both off-peak, 2-way, hourly); same for Weekends and 2-way rush hours for the K-W corridor to Mt. Pleasant and
extending Lakeshore service off-peak to West Harbour.

That said, I expect a few construction announcements, if they don't get Lakeshore East track expansion and grade seps. started by year end I think that would look awful.
Agreed but I'm looking for better weekend service on Barrie, Stouffville and Brampton imo. That will determine whether they are serious or not. I think West Harbour should be priority number one
@crs1026 @mdrejhon what do you think?

Thanks. I only had a limited amount of time to look at the document so glad this was posted.

You missed the important bit. Table 6-16 on page 243 shows $7,176B in transit spending over 2017/2018 year, up from $3.8B last year.

Back