News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 620     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The point being, you can't stop stupid or ineptness, people will find a way. I mean, it's a tunnel FFS - where do you think it leads to?

AoD
That's why I think they need to put up fences along the length of it or put up signs warning poel it's for streetcars only much sooner then it currently is. They need to put up the type of signs that Waterloo is using for the LRT showing a railroad running beside the road.

That's why I think they need to put up fences along the length of it or put up signs warning poel it's for streetcars only much sooner then it currently is. They need to put up the type of signs that Waterloo is using for the LRT showing a railroad running beside the road.

Well at least they are tuning the system to attempt to deter drivers - the rumble strip should give it away, but Toronto drivers? Who knows.

AoD

Agree, however the TTC better think carefully about where to place the map. In NYC for example, they put it on the wall just above the seats. The problem with that is whenever anyone is seated in front of it, the view is blocked. It especially doesn't help that their map is so highly detailed and complicated that you simply cannot read if you're not standing really close to it, which again is impossible when there are people sitting there. Therefore I find it almost completely useless.

Agreed, and the location I'm talking about is more or less the same, with probably roughly the same dimensions (20"x28" ad space along the wall). NYC I put into a league of its own though. Not just for the scope of the system, but because their standard is a bit iffy (e.g all angles shown), as well as numerous things included like roads and geography. This is obviously stuff for the Wayfinding thread, which has been discussed before. But I think it can work. Station font size would stay roughly the same, maybe seeing a decrease for LRT/RER stops. Ultimately I'd rather have a map that's aesthetically pleasing and provides good wayfinding (but may require a 'pardon me, mind if I can see that map there), than what we've been presented with. Or what kind of ghastly mess it will morph into with more projects included in that tiny rectangle.

Agree, however the TTC better think carefully about where to place the map. In NYC for example, they put it on the wall just above the seats. The problem with that is whenever anyone is seated in front of it, the view is blocked. It especially doesn't help that their map is so highly detailed and complicated that you simply cannot read if you're not standing really close to it, which again is impossible when there are people sitting there. Therefore I find it almost completely useless.

View attachment 106613
In Cologne/Köln the maps are on the ceiling of the LRT system in the square formed by the entrance ways. Look up!

A square or portrait orientation map won't properly cover the TTC subway system. Some systems or part of it simply don't have a complete map of the system in the train. We can look no further than the Scarborough RT.

Too many stations on the Yonge Line to show? On the new BD trains, they can consider showing up to Finch and just use a pointy arrow saying "to X destination". On the Yonge line, they can just rotate the line with north facing left and the Downtown U at the right side. NYC uses a led board that only shows the next bunch of stations (numbers of stations depends on train).

The map on the MTA trains can be hard to read behind people but considering their complexity, people would read the map and think twice before running on a train? You'll likely run onto the wrong train if you don't know where you're going. It's not the simply TTC after all.

I rather see the TTC do something out of the box. Once the implement WiFi on trains, they can make an app that will receive info on the current location. A user can simply downtown the app, set the destination and it can alert the user when they should get off. It can also receive info for delays and where to wait for shuttle buses. For the not so tech-savvy people, just put up more maps on the platform or concourse.

i find it hard to fathom why it will take over 6 months to do 300m especially if they close down the road. Have they no urgency to complete this as quickly as possible to get the road back into revenue service?
I know its not really apple to apples, but post fukushima, construction there were able to repair a 600ft section of road that has been completely flipped upside down and destroyed in ONE WEEK.....
Surely with some urgency and a little more smart spending they can get this in 1/3 of the time....

i find it hard to fathom why it will take over 6 months to do 300m especially if they close down the road. Have they no urgency to complete this as quickly as possible to get the road back into revenue service?
I know its not really apple to apples, but post fukushima, construction there were able to repair a 600ft section of road that has been completely flipped upside down and destroyed in ONE WEEK.....
Surely with some urgency and a little more smart spending they can get this in 1/3 of the time....
It does seem like a long closure but there are two pieces of 'special trackwork' being replaced and these ARE complex to do and may well need to be done sequentially.

It does seem like a long closure but there are two pieces of 'special trackwork' being replaced and these ARE complex to do and may well need to be done sequentially.

But ddnt metrolinx completely replace a bridge and a diamond track during the georgetown construction in overnight shifts?
They can do it. They just need to plan it smartly. Macroscopically they need to realise that stretching construction out to save on construction costs for infrastructure and roadworks do have adverse
spinoff effects due to congestion and lost productivity. The irony about that is that the money lost due to the latter wouldve probably paid for the extra for a faster construction and probably more.

A square or portrait orientation map won't properly cover the TTC subway system. Some systems or part of it simply don't have a complete map of the system in the train. We can look no further than the Scarborough RT.

Too many stations on the Yonge Line to show? On the new BD trains, they can consider showing up to Finch and just use a pointy arrow saying "to X destination". On the Yonge line, they can just rotate the line with north facing left and the Downtown U at the right side. NYC uses a led board that only shows the next bunch of stations (numbers of stations depends on train).

The map on the MTA trains can be hard to read behind people but considering their complexity, people would read the map and think twice before running on a train? You'll likely run onto the wrong train if you don't know where you're going. It's not the simply TTC after all.

I rather see the TTC do something out of the box. Once the implement WiFi on trains, they can make an app that will receive info on the current location. A user can simply downtown the app, set the destination and it can alert the user when they should get off. It can also receive info for delays and where to wait for shuttle buses. For the not so tech-savvy people, just put up more maps on the platform or concourse.

It could be something like this (ignore details, it's just for visual purposes). The current font sizes and eligibility could remain, maybe with minor adjustment. Few riders would be tall enough to be blocking the image. And since it's square the map could use the top of the vertical rectangle, with the safety stuff at the bottom. Added measure would be diode-illuminated route maps above the doors in the existing map location. Ultimately a squared/broader map should be future-proofed for system expansion (unlike the one we have now).

Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior-new-map-44N.jpg

original image from Wiki Commons

Attachments

• Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior-new-map-44N.jpg
    Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior-new-map-44N.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
But ddnt metrolinx completely replace a bridge and a diamond track during the georgetown construction in overnight shifts?
They can do it. They just need to plan it smartly. Macroscopically they need to realise that stretching construction out to save on construction costs for infrastructure and roadworks do have adverse
spinoff effects due to congestion and lost productivity. The irony about that is that the money lost due to the latter wouldve probably paid for the extra for a faster construction and probably more.
While you are correct, the problem is that the costs of extra working hours are paid by one entity (the City or TTC) while the costs of lost productivity etc come from someone else's 'budget'.

While you are correct, the problem is that the costs of extra working hours are paid by one entity (the City or TTC) while the costs of lost productivity etc come from someone else's 'budget'.

Fair enough...
I just wish bureaucrats and decision makers would be more logical in how they spend. They need to realise that they are wasting billions by cheaping out annually in the vain attempt to save a few tens of millions...
Alas cant break the status quo unfortunately.... :(

Reactions: DSC
It could be something like this (ignore details, it's just for visual purposes). The current font sizes and eligibility could remain, maybe with minor adjustment. Few riders would be tall enough to be blocking the image. And since it's square the map could use the top of the vertical rectangle, with the safety stuff at the bottom. Added measure would be diode-illuminated route maps above the doors in the existing map location. Ultimately a squared/broader map should be future-proofed for system expansion (unlike the one we have now).

original image from Wiki Commons

How did you insert your map into the image? Very cool.

A return to interlining is also an interesting idea, although people on the Spadina line might resent losing their one-seat ride.

What would make the most sense to me is having a map of the route, with all the stations and connections, above the door. And instead have the system map done as a poster next to the advertising on the walls of the train.

E.g. something like this on the top:
upload_2017-4-25_11-5-42.png

But a full system map on the walls like in 44North's image.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_11-5-42.png
    upload_2017-4-25_11-5-42.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 382
There is a big different between the West Toronto Diamond Bridge movement and TTC intersection track work.

The diamond bridge was built on site before hand and move into position in a matter of hours. The excavation took the longest and it vary from bridge to bridge from 6-14 hours. Once in place, back filling has to be done before CP install the new tracks.

The intersections have to be completely dug out and the time vary from intersections to intersections based on size and track work. Forming and pouring the based again vary as to what can be done as the excavation take place and other work that needs to be done first before the base is pour. Once the base is pour, the various sections of track work that built off site is install under the overhead still in place. It takes more time to install the track work with the overhead in place than none at all, but will require more money and time to remove the overhead and reinstall it as well power lines.

TTC starts the track works with the centre diamond and work out one track at a time for the switches and then does the other before moving the crane to the next location to add the next sections of switches and track work. TTC crews levels the new track work and bolt them together or weld them with welding taking hours to do. Once this is done, then the one or two concrete pour is done to top coat the rails. Then the concrete is pour between the new tracks and the road or the whole road depending on the condition of the road based in the first place. Depending if the road is all concrete or has to be pave, paving can only take place after X hours after been pour. Depending on the intersection, some sidewalks have to be rebuilt since they need to and this will happen first while the track work is taking place.

Since Dundas and Victoria intersection is a curve area, some extra time will be require to do it, but doesn't stop work being done on the straight section. Doing the straight section will require less time to the point it can be finish with the missing section to connect to the switches before the intersection is done. It comes down to manpower to do this.

Its time the City and TTC start doing 24 hour work hours to get the work done sooner than later, but TTC doesn't has a good track record for the 24 hour work window by not having anyone doing the track work for straight track work like they are supposed to be doing.

Not easy to do as you stated.

The new TR are bad caused by their breaking systems as well the AC. During the test of the first TR, TTC had to removed all slate overhead in the stations since the AC were blowing all the break dust out of them onto riders. It did something I have being saying for year to do this, as the removal of them would save TTC time and money by not having to remove the slate to do work above, to clean them and replace them only to be mismatch the other ones that weren't removed.

TTC subway system 10 times more polluted than outside, study shows

Back