News   Mar 28, 2024
 522     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Do they even vacuum the walls of the tunnel? The thickness of the deposit above a certain line suggests it's only done partially and not for the entirety of the tunnel.

AoD

How did you insert your map into the image? Very cool.

A return to interlining is also an interesting idea, although people on the Spadina line might resent losing their one-seat ride.

What would make the most sense to me is having a map of the route, with all the stations and connections, above the door. And instead have the system map done as a poster next to the advertising on the walls of the train.

E.g. something like this on the top:
View attachment 106626

But a full system map on the walls like in 44North's image.

Maybe they can get rid of 50% of those stations from Jane to Pearson.

As a note, BBD is over 2 years late delivery MTA TR order and the first to go into service later this year. Look at their setup. Which is the better one??
GetFileAttachment

The new TR are bad caused by their breaking systems as well the AC. During the test of the first TR, TTC had to removed all slate overhead in the stations since the AC were blowing all the break dust out of them onto riders. It did something I have being saying for year to do this, as the removal of them would save TTC time and money by not having to remove the slate to do work above, to clean them and replace them only to be mismatch the other ones that weren't removed.

TTC subway system 10 times more polluted than outside, study shows
upload_2017-4-25_15-15-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_15-15-5.png
    upload_2017-4-25_15-15-5.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 357

Hopefully the union or health Canada or the workplace safety board can force the TTC to install permanent air quality monitors throughout the system...like in Korea.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/js/2016/1865614/

That there hasn't been a scan done since the new vehicles entered service is concerning...likewise that they knew about this for 6 years without doing anything.

If any riders or workers have gotten respiratory issues in the last few years it would be interesting to see how a class action would go over - similar to what was done to force the TTC to read out stop names...

Anyone who uses the subway knows that there is lots of dust and this has always been explained by TTC management as coming from brakes and rails. This survey may show that the dust has possible health problems but it is hardly a surprise that it exists.

Anyone who uses the subway knows that there is lots of dust and this has always been explained by TTC management as coming from brakes and rails. This survey may show that the dust has possible health problems but it is hardly a surprise that it exists.

I don't think anyones surprised that it exists...but I think most people would be surprised that the last time they checked if it was potentially hazardous was in 1995, fully 22 years ago. Especially during periods when they changed their maintenance regime - i.e. stopped washing walls with water...

Does anyone know if busses have to do emissions tests? I assume that a similar issue could occur in their covered bus stations.

I could only find the abstract of the air quality article. But is this situation all that bad? It says it's mostly iron. Surely that's not all that harmful (frankly I would've thought a bit of iron would be beneficial). On the one hand I'm surprised we surpassed Montreal, since they're 100% underground. But they use rubber wheels so I guess less friction. But wouldn't that create rubber dust, which may be worse?

Though honestly it sound a little opportunistic to me - I mean, no one at the union raised an OH&S finger regarding air quality until now even knowing how messy/dusty/dirty the tunnels are?

AoD

The article embellished the facts. It says the air quality at stations are bad but then talks about how people spend one hour on TTC on average. Most people don't spend 1hr on the subway. The train air is mich better as it's filtered through the HVAC, which I hope gets cleaned once in a while. The stations maybe bad but most people don't spend more than 5 mins in a station waiting for for a train.

Back