News   Jun 06, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 431     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Finch would be a switch from 7 to six?
A switch yes, but the last time they discussed numbering, Sheppard was scheduled to be done before Finch. With Finch currently being bid, and due for completion in 2021, and Sheppard scheduled for about 2025, I'd say that the change is a no-brainer - given nothing official has ever been said.

Is it clear currently that Finch will be Line 6. Yes. Could that all change still? Yes - with no sign of Finch starting before the next election, the whole thing could die still.

A switch yes, but the last time they discussed numbering, Sheppard was scheduled to be done before Finch. With Finch currently being bid, and due for completion in 2021, and Sheppard scheduled for about 2025, I'd say that the change is a no-brainer - given nothing official has ever been said.

Is it clear currently that Finch will be Line 6. Yes. Could that all change still? Yes - with no sign of Finch starting before the next election, the whole thing could die still.
Let's see what the Ontario budget will bring this year. Just a few more days till we know how screwed we are (or not)!

Let's see what the Ontario budget will bring this year. Just a few more days till we know how screwed we are (or not)!
Not expecting any shocks ... they seem to be in election mode, the economy is improving, and for the first time in a while the budget is balanced. And they seem likely to be about to reap some savings from Hamilton turning down the LRT.

Is there something you are expecting?

Evidently Finch West will also be coloured grey on the maps.

It is very popular and consistent here to believe that a change in government will change carefully laid transit plans. I was around in the Harris days so I understand well why that idea exists.

But since traffic and commuting are so painful in the GTA / GTHA would there not be a considerable political price for doing so? Is there not an expectation in the populace that SOMEONE should be doing SOMETHING and if a new government tore up those plans and caused further delay and deterioration in the quality of life, would that not be a large, early black eye. Personally, I have begun to care less about the deficit. I'd just like to be able to get around and not have a workplace full of hot and bothered employees and colleagues every damn day. [OPs - move this where you will.]

Problem is that deficit affects your ability to get around.
I did the math a year ago, and if we had Harper's federal record on debt (up 26%) in Ontario compared to the Liberal one (up 100%), we would be $100B richer. Even a fraction of that to transit would be huge.

It is very popular and consistent here to believe that a change in government will change carefully laid transit plans. I was around in the Harris days so I understand well why that idea exists.

Not even just the Harris government... these transit plans get ripped up every time a new government comes into power.

But since traffic and commuting are so painful in the GTA / GTHA would there not be a considerable political price for doing so? Is there not an expectation in the populace that SOMEONE should be doing SOMETHING and if a new government tore up those plans and caused further delay and deterioration in the quality of life, would that not be a large, early black eye.

There could also be considerable political benefit, depending on how much the electorate buys the hurrah on balanced budgets and low taxes.

Problem is that deficit affects your ability to get around.
That's why I leave mine at home. It slows down my cycling and gets in the way sometimes...

I also avoid index shifting on my gears, the cost of living index keeps going up, so I don't buy them anymore.

Not even just the Harris government... these transit plans get ripped up every time a new government comes into power.

There could also be considerable political benefit, depending on how much the electorate buys the hurrah on balanced budgets and low taxes.
So the electorate is stupid and is not sure what elements of governance affect their quality of life? Disappointing if so. They know when the kids can't count, and when granny can't get a new hip, why is it so hard to make this connection?

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-23_12-29-3.png
    upload_2017-4-23_12-29-3.png
    499.4 KB · Views: 306
Sometimes the plans gets ripped up when the same government stays in power - i.e. the Liberals flip flopping from supporting the transfer LRT to the SSE Subway.
Maybe this doesn't happen with a lot of governments, but this one did it with Gas Plants as well.

Sometimes the plans gets ripped up when the same government stays in power - i.e. the Liberals flip flopping from supporting the transfer LRT to the SSE Subway.
Maybe this doesn't happen with a lot of governments, but this one did it with Gas Plants as well.
It often happens. Look what happened when Miller became Premier with transit in Toronto. And then Rae did similiar. Petersen - well there was nothing left to change was there ... ditto for McGuinty - so I guess they changed the plan to do nothing.

But since traffic and commuting are so painful in the GTA / GTHA would there not be a considerable political price for doing so? Is there not an expectation in the populace that SOMEONE should be doing SOMETHING and if a new government tore up those plans and caused further delay and deterioration in the quality of life, would that not be a large, early black eye. Personally, I have begun to care less about the deficit. I'd just like to be able to get around and not have a workplace full of hot and bothered employees and colleagues every damn day. [OPs - move this where you will.]

At this point there really isn't even much to cancel as the Liberals have failed to deliver on most of their transit promises from the last election.

Back