Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Very true, and becoming much denser. However density alone doesn't guarantee great or even good architecture. For that, city planners, politicians and builders have to have vision.

It's a very good point !
Density does not guarantee awesome architecture. The city planners and politicians could do a better job by raising their architecture standards.
But there are pretty buildings like L Tower,Delta, Harbour Plaza or 10 York.
Soon if everything go well, Bay Park center,Union center 1 Yonge and Mirvish gehry will greatly improve the downtown core.
I am confident that the waterfront will be prettier and better in 5 years.

It's true that most condos tower on entertainment district or on Yonge street are pathetic. Most new condos building there have only large balconies and no style at all.
The exceptions on Yonge street are 1 Bloor,1 Yorkville ,Massey tower and Aura.
They have a great style that set them apart from other buildings.
This is why i want to see 2 Carlton ,475 Yonge and YSL Residences become a reality.
They will greatly beautify more Yonge street .
Those tower should be the norm for the architecture of Toronto. Architects should learn from
those tower and not bring more bland box with big balconies.

And you have to know that the city changed very fast. So much development was unthinkable 10 years ago. it happened so fast that the city was not prepared for that. But the city start slowly to improve in many area. This why i think the architecture will be improved for next years.

:)

Last edited:
I'm still particularly hopeful for Mirvish-Gehry. But the current trend of downtown condo construction(particularly South Core) seems to be based for the most part on how fast and how tall they can get built, with less emphasis placed on design, quality of materials or what they'll contribute to the cityscape in generations to come. I'm always concerned whenever architecture is left solely in the hands of urban planners or politicians;lets face it, some of the worlds most appalling architecture has arisen when the public sector has too much say or control, witness London's Barbican Estate or Berlin's post-war "Plattenbau" highrises(admittedly both extreme examples of a hurried approach to housing people in post-war urban renewal). In most cases the best architecture comes from an enlightened private sector willing to take risks and with a subtle carrot-stick approach from the powers that be.

Last edited:
It's true what you said.
Planners often underestimate the importance of a good architecture.
For exemple in Dubai or Shanghai,most new building are awesome and futuristic.
It,s like that because the city planners want that.In Toronto,there is room for improvement.
But Bay Park center,Union center and the recently built EY tower are the perfect exemple of private sector architecture excellence.
We dont have many extraordinary monuments like Europeans cities.So we must distinguish ourselves with our new architecture.
This is what Dubai,Baku,Abu Dhabi or Sydney(Australia) did .
What prevent Toronto to do that ?
For me it's the lack of vision by planners and politicians,too many constraints for developers and architects and when there is a public project,it's often the cheapest bidder the winner.
The cheapest bidder mean cheapest architecture.
It will take time ,but it will change slowly.
It's very long to change a culture in a country.

True, Toronto lacks the "monumentalism" of an old world European city but it most certainly has something that Dubai or Abu Dhabi lack, and that is character. Those highrise cities are essentially built from scratch, being desert backwaters less than a generation ago, and frankly it shows! The last thing I'd want to see is Toronto even remotely resembling them(or even Shanghai for that matter!). In my mind, these examples are more like caricatures of what an urban city should look like;with their "Bubble Gum" architecture, they're more a sterile "Disneyesque" or a "McCity" version of a great city and where the urban planning and architectural pendulum has swung to the extreme. Toronto is at least fortunate that it has come to the realization(somewhat late, but better late than never) that preserving what is left of our architectural heritage is at least as essential as any new construction. That, along with preserving it's colourful neighbourhoods, will always make this city special, no matter how many supertalls eventually get built.

Last edited:
For me a mix of old building coupled with some futuristic one will make Toronto more awesome.
In term of futuristic architecture,Toronto has a lot to learn.But i am glad to see some old buildings preserved.
Building like Casa Loma,Royal York Hotel,Commerce court North or Old city hall are our pride in term of classical architecture.
They have certain style that tell the story of the city.But rectangular buildings form the 1950s to 1980s without style deserve some rejuvenation to be more modern.
Honestly ,many of these buildings look bad today. For me a great city is a mix of old ,modern and futuristic architecture.
For exemple, 88 scott is a mix of modern and old architecture.This is why i love this building.
10 York is a modern building and L tower is the perfect exemple of a futuristic architecture.
Toronto can master that very well.

I can imagine in 50 to 100 years, long after the Gardiner has disappeared, some visitor to Toronto with little if any knowledge of today's street orientations and patterns, looking up and wondering why this building is so uniquely shaped. Yet, in my opinion, this building quickly loses its interest after the sharp apex of its podium gives way to the blunter angle of the tower above. This building is unique only in that its form was dictated by the uniqueness of its site. What we are left with is an essentially banal glass tower in what is becoming a sea of banal glass towers.

I just can't help thinking what a great opportunity was lost here. This site was screaming out for an iconic piece of architecture. Something that would endure and help define Toronto on the world stage just as the CN Tower and new City Hall did generations before. Imagine if this were London or even New York, where the densities of those city's demand innovative and interesting solutions to oddly shaped lots, and then consider what might have been erected on similarly unique sites there. I'm not asking for the Great Pyramids here, but it's time we started to demand more from our builders and architects, and design and build our city with a longer term view.

Most of the people buying these condos pre-con won't even be living in them. They don't give 2 shits about the design. It's all about the $. Can't expect developers to spend money on better design when they make more money with the simple designs you're seeing now. People speak with their money and the money says build boring boxes with blue/green glass.

enrigue, you seem to be judging everything solely on looks, but design isn't just about the way things look, good design is also making sure a building works, on multiple levels. You also seem to think that it's all about city planners…

It's a very good point !
Density does not guarantee awesome architecture. The city planners and politicians could do a better job by raising their architecture standards.

City planners—and especially politicians—have next to nothing to do with the architecture here. It's the private developers and the architects they hire that have 98% to do with the architecture that we get.

Toronto's Design Review Panel, a group arranged by the Urban Design section of the Planning Department and made up of architects, landscape architects, and engineers in private practice, have some influence over the major buildings that go up, but mostly in how the buildings meet the street or how they are positioned on larger sites… but very little to do with the look of the building.

It's only once in a blue moon that City Planning will tell a developer that they think the building needs a different look. The Trump Tower (back when it was originally going to be a Ritz Carlton) was one of those buildings. The initial design was PoMo, and Urban Design wanted to encourage a Modernist design for such a prominent tower, and convinced the developer to go for a re-design. It was just a suggestion, as the government does not have the power to demand any particular architectural style, and the developers were okay with changing the style. That's the only instance I can ofright now of that happening, but others might remember this happening other times. It is rare though, and like I said, the government can only suggest the change.

It's true that most condos tower on entertainment district or on Yonge street are pathetic. Most new condos building there have only large balconies and no style at all.
The exceptions on Yonge street are 1 Bloor,1 Yorkville ,Massey tower and Aura.
They have a great style that set them apart from other buildings.

Despite some areas where our taste overlaps with others', everyone's taste in architecture is their own, so you won't find agreement on everything of course. Out of that list of 4 buildings, you wouldn't find much support on UrbanToronto for Aura as an example of a building that has great style. Despite a lot of people liking the lights up top, most UT members commenting on it find Aura ungainly and cheap, and not the kind of building that they want to see emulated.

Those tower should be the norm for the architecture of Toronto. Architects should learn from
those tower and not bring more bland box with big balconies.

What do mean by big balconies, and what is it about them that you don't like? I think balconies have been used very effectively on many buildings here to impart some serious style (1 Bloor, Exhibit, 1Thousand Bay, Harbour Plaza, X to name five), but I'd like to get a better idea of which buildings have balconies that you don't like.

And you have to know that the city changed very fast. So much development was unthinkable 10 years ago. it happened so fast that the city was not prepared for that. But the city start slowly to improve in many area. This why i think the architecture will be improved for next years.

:)

I'd like to believe that the architecture of our buildings will improve too, but it's worth remembering that developers try to keep the costs down on most buildings (it'll always be that way), so most buildings end up being built as inexpensively as they can, and that reduces architects' ability to make those buildings stand out.

It's true what you said.
Planners often underestimate the importance of a good architecture.
For exemple in Dubai or Shanghai,most new building are awesome and futuristic.
It,s like that because the city planners want that.In Toronto,there is room for improvement.

So again, it's not because city planners want that. Blame it on economic realities, and the developers who would rather not spend time trying to be innovative (when just about everything they offer sells, no matter how little effort they put into unique design).

But Bay Park center,Union center and the recently built EY tower are the perfect exemple of private sector architecture excellence.
We dont have many extraordinary monuments like Europeans cities.So we must distinguish ourselves with our new architecture.
This is what Dubai,Baku,Abu Dhabi or Sydney(Australia) did .
What prevent Toronto to do that ?

I think generalizing that other cities get everything right and we get it all wrong is pretty silly, as I could list lots of ugly buildings in any of those cities (buildings which you might not find ugly even if I do), but I take your point that those cities have more imaginative architecture overall. My take is that they have flashier buildings because they can afford to, in more than one way. Dubai, Baku, and Abu Dhabi have tons of oil money pouring in, weaker building codes, and cheap migrant (slave) labour, so they can spend their way to a point that I would normally consider excess. Sydney has a easier climate to deal with than Toronto, so the buildings—while still needing to be air-conditioned—can be designed with a more leeway regarding thermal performance, so they can be more open and expressive… plus the Aussies just aren't as reserved as we are.

For me it's the lack of vision by planners and politicians,too many constraints for developers and architects and when there is a public project,it's often the cheapest bidder the winner.
The cheapest bidder mean cheapest architecture.

Every private development comes with a budget attached, and most are not put out to multiple bidders: developers mostly hire one team, and the team works towards bringing a building in at a particular price point. Typically the term "bidder" is associated with public development which is being put out to tender, (and which there's much less of than there is private development). In those rare public developments, planners and politicians have a little more sway in the design, but mostly in terms of establishing budgets again. Most of our City Councillors do not want to be seen spending money on what some of the public would see as a frill ("gravy" is the popular term), so we often end up with value-engineered public projects for the same reason that most private developments are less than spectacular: they have to be built within realistic budgets.

For me a mix of old building coupled with some futuristic one will make Toronto more awesome.
In term of futuristic architecture,Toronto has a lot to learn.But i am glad to see some old buildings preserved.
Building like Casa Loma,Royal York Hotel,Commerce court North or Old city hall are our pride in term of classical architecture.
They have certain style that tell the story of the city.But rectangular buildings form the 1950s to 1980s without style deserve some rejuvenation to be more modern.

You might not like rectangular buildings, but lots of people do, (especially beancounters, as rectangular buildings are typically very efficient). Modernists like well designed ones too: there are a lot of people who believe in the Miesian "less is more", even if you don't.

Taken Saturday afternoon:
DSC_1014.jpg

DSC_1015.jpg

DSC_1013.jpg

DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0984.jpg

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_0982.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0988.jpg
    DSC_0988.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 420
  • DSC_0982.jpg
    DSC_0982.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 525
  • DSC_1013.jpg
    DSC_1013.jpg
    956.6 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC_1015.jpg
    DSC_1015.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 544
  • DSC_0991.jpg
    DSC_0991.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 560
  • DSC_0984.jpg
    DSC_0984.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 576
  • DSC_1014.jpg
    DSC_1014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 553
  • DSC_0985.jpg
    DSC_0985.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 550
enrigue, you seem to be judging everything solely on looks, but design isn't just about the way things look, good design is also making sure a building works, on multiple levels. You also seem to think that it's all about city planners…

City planners—and especially politicians—have next to nothing to do with the architecture here. It's the private developers and the architects they hire that have 98% to do with the architecture that we get.

Toronto's Design Review Panel, a group arranged by the Urban Design section of the Planning Department and made up of architects, landscape architects, and engineers in private practice, have some influence over the major buildings that go up, but mostly in how the buildings meet the street or how they are positioned on larger sites… but very little to do with the look of the building.

It's only once in a blue moon that City Planning will tell a developer that they think the building needs a different look. The Trump Tower (back when it was originally going to be a Ritz Carlton) was one of those buildings. The initial design was PoMo, and Urban Design wanted to encourage a Modernist design for such a prominent tower, and convinced the developer to go for a re-design. It was just a suggestion, as the government does not have the power to demand any particular architectural style, and the developers were okay with changing the style. That's the only instance I can ofright now of that happening, but others might remember this happening other times. It is rare though, and like I said, the government can only suggest the change.

Despite some areas where our taste overlaps with others', everyone's taste in architecture is their own, so you won't find agreement on everything of course. Out of that list of 4 buildings, you wouldn't find much support on UrbanToronto for Aura as an example of a building that has great style. Despite a lot of people liking the lights up top, most UT members commenting on it find Aura ungainly and cheap, and not the kind of building that they want to see emulated.

What do mean by big balconies, and what is it about them that you don't like? I think balconies have been used very effectively on many buildings here to impart some serious style (1 Bloor, Exhibit, 1Thousand Bay, Harbour Plaza, X to name five), but I'd like to get a better idea of which buildings have balconies that you don't like.

I'd like to believe that the architecture of our buildings will improve too, but it's worth remembering that developers try to keep the costs down on most buildings (it'll always be that way), so most buildings end up being built as inexpensively as they can, and that reduces architects' ability to make those buildings stand out.

So again, it's not because city planners want that. Blame it on economic realities, and the developers who would rather not spend time trying to be innovative (when just about everything they offer sells, no matter how little effort they put into unique design).

I think generalizing that other cities get everything right and we get it all wrong is pretty silly, as I could list lots of ugly buildings in any of those cities (buildings which you might not find ugly even if I do), but I take your point that those cities have more imaginative architecture overall. My take is that they have flashier buildings because they can afford to, in more than one way. Dubai, Baku, and Abu Dhabi have tons of oil money pouring in, weaker building codes, and cheap migrant (slave) labour, so they can spend their way to a point that I would normally consider excess. Sydney has a easier climate to deal with than Toronto, so the buildings—while still needing to be air-conditioned—can be designed with a more leeway regarding thermal performance, so they can be more open and expressive… plus the Aussies just aren't as reserved as we are.

Every private development comes with a budget attached, and most are not put out to multiple bidders: developers mostly hire one team, and the team works towards bringing a building in at a particular price point. Typically the term "bidder" is associated with public development which is being put out to tender, (and which there's much less of than there is private development). In those rare public developments, planners and politicians have a little more sway in the design, but mostly in terms of establishing budgets again. Most of our City Councillors do not want to be seen spending money on what some of the public would see as a frill ("gravy" is the popular term), so we often end up with value-engineered public projects for the same reason that most private developments are less than spectacular: they have to be built within realistic budgets.

You might not like rectangular buildings, but lots of people do, (especially beancounters, as rectangular buildings are typically very efficient). Modernists like well designed ones too: there are a lot of people who believe in the Miesian "less is more", even if you don't.

Thank you for your precise answer.
I appreciate your patience.I am not against rectangular tower at all.
I just want to see some creativity with them.For exemple a good cladding or a creative style can do a great job.
Bay Park center or 1 Yorkville are rectangular buildings that have a creative architecture..
What i mean by big balconies is when they are the only architecture of the building.
There is a lot of exemple of building like King Charlotte,Bond condos, Clover on Yonge and many others.
When balconies are so big,the buildong look cheap and vulgar for me. ArchitectsAlliances is one of the leader in this form of design.
Sure, One Bloor and Massey tower have balconies,but there is a style with them and i love them for this.
This is my opinion of architecture and i am glad to express it.
;)

...plus the Aussies just aren't as reserved as we are.

I'm not sure who the "we" is that you are referring to.
If it's the majority UT forum members, I'd agree. If it's local architects, I'd agree. If it's some older residents, maybe, but Toronto is no longer the protestant small town of old. It's now full of exciting and dynamic residents. "Reserved" is not a word I would use for the majority of people I know here. As a relatively recent arrival, it still seems bizarre to me that the city hasn't shaken off this outdated old-school image.

I'm not sure who the "we" is that you are referring to.
If it's the majority UT forum members, I'd agree. If it's local architects, I'd agree. If it's some older residents, maybe, but Toronto is no longer the protestant small town of old. It's now full of exciting and dynamic residents. "Reserved" is not a word I would use for the majority of people I know here. As a relatively recent arrival, it still seems bizarre to me that the city hasn't shaken off this outdated old-school image.

I think perhaps we will see a shift when the baby boomers move en masse to their great reward. As with most older generations, they cling on to what they know or feel comfortable with. I would guess this is a generational differences sort of thing.

At risk of being OT further - just how willing are these exciting and dynamic residents willing to pay the extra money for high quality architecture (or even care enough about it) over say, balconies? If they don't, then ultimately they are still old school.

AoD

Back