Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

Square footage matters more than height. 1 York and 200 Bay stand out as possibly having less square footage. 44 Charles is residential as well.

I would think that First Canadian Place should be included in the list...

I updated the post. 44 Charles was removed, and I must have scrolled or something to accidentally hide First Canadian Place, it's now visible.

Agreed, that convoluted PATH route will only be popular during inclement weather. Anyone at Ïce or 16 York just wanting to go to Longo's, however, will be well served.

In the meantime, the dataBase wile has been updated with all the new renderings.

I know the city is fixated on below ground connection but they should consider that all building south of the tracks should focus on 2nd story connections to reduce the number of escalators needed to get between buildings.

An above ground connection would have been a lot easier. I was trying to figure out where they could connect to PwC or Maple Leaf. e11even would not want this above their patio and the 2nd floor is not designed for the connection. Over at PwC the lobby is on the east side. Maybe the west side of PwC (near the outdoor staircase) could be set up for a connection. But with the setbacks of the buildings it would be a very long bridge.

The PATH should be designed for the commercial side. I don't think the ACC/Maple Leaf/2 escalators to Longo's/walk north from Ice and then an escalator up is feasible. Most people will exit from the Telus building and cross the street. With tourists trying to turn left/right this area which is already a nightmare will even be worse.

Agreed, it's highly convoluted. And anyone taking the PATH through the ACC knows how cheap and awful the staircase connecting it to ground level is (and the barrier-free access is to outside at ground level, for goodness's sake…)

Agreed, it's highly convoluted. And anyone taking the PATH through the ACC knows how cheap and awful the staircase connecting it to ground level is (and the barrier-free access is to outside at ground level, for goodness's sake…)

Ugh, don't get me started on that. At least those not familiar with it now have a better chance of seeing it since they installed doors with windows, not those steel slabs that look like the entrance to a maintenance room.

I understand a below-grade PATH though, mostly because it means people travel past below-grade shops and mall areas that you can't see from the street. But if there aren't any below-grade stores, then I agree, what's the point? Especially with all the above-grade connections in the area.

Front page update:

Unlike the condominiums that continue to dominate Toronto's new glass and steel skyline, the process of developing a major office tower is typically contingent on signing a particular tenant. While a proportion of units sold—typically around 80%—is required to secure financing and launch construction of a condo, the viability of a high-rise commercial office development is strongly predicated on landing an anchor tenant. This means that fully approved projects regularly take years to launch, with developers waiting to secure a partnership with a tenant who will take substantial space in the building before beginning construction. That's the typical scenario at least, and it's one that's playing out across office sites throughout the Downtown core. It's not the case at 16 York Street, however, where a major office tower is beginning construction on speculation.

yes spec building in Toronto is very rare...has been since the early 80's........but it sure helps when you are funding through pension fund cash rather than using borrowed funds.

Do we know for sure where the knockout panel for the path is at Maple leaf ? I've assumed from construction photos its right around where the Starbucks is...

You are correct!

The best new information was from a CBC article where the CF rep stated that there's about 3-5 million sqf of space being sought in South Core alone, and this propelled them to build on spec.

3-5 million sqf gets you quite a few towers. Both phases of Bay Park Centre total 2.7 million sqf.

The best new information was from a CBC article where the CF rep stated that there's about 3-5 million sqf of space being sought in South Core alone, and this propelled them to build on spec.

3-5 million sqf gets you quite a few towers. Both phases of Bay Park Centre total 2.7 million sqf.
As much as that is supportive of the spec build...it also raises the question...."if that is so, why are you not able to secure a lead tenant or two out of that demand?"....no?

Back