News   May 01, 2024
 691     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 251     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 325     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Interesting note as a comparison to the earlier business survey:
Just at the link you posted, can't get sound, will try another browser in case it's a command problem (some sites are very browser specific, mostly towards MS ones)(edit: It does play in another browser, but I realized it's a roll-over ad, and pop-up blockers, at least the one on my FF browser is blocking the sound. Odd...but I use Linux which is rarely catered for on websites) but tried to find it at Youtube, as the NatPost is wont to post their stories there, can't find, but did find this, and I'm no great fan of Horwath, but she had her boots on for this one:

Wynne had better come up with some answers pdq, and it's not by dipping in one consumer pocket to put it in the other, albeit that must be examined. How was she and McQuinty so incredibly blind to this issue growing so huge?

In all fairness to the Libs, and the perceived wisdom for Hydro sell-off (partial or otherwise) the PCs tried to do it completely in their reign, and were stopped by the courts.

Ontario Hydro’s Path to Privatization
admin
Previous articles have focused on other aspects of the Harris PC’s role in contributing to Ontario’s status as a ‘Have Not’ province.

[...]
On April 11, 1999 the Harris PC’s removed Ontario Hydro from the Freedom of Information Act.

Road Blocks
On April 19, 2002 the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled that it was illegal to sell off Ontario’s hydro grid.

Eves fought to appeal the decision On May 7, 2002 Eves told the province that privatization was back on the agenda and swiftly deregulated and removed the price caps Harris had previous implemented on Hydro rates.

At this time the electricity market had opened and Ontario bundled electricity prices into separate generation, transmission, and distribution components. In addition, in order to finance the stranded debt of Ontario Hydro (totalling about 200$ billion), a stranded debt charge of 0.7 cents per kWh had been added to the market price.

With the hot summer months ahead, electricity prices increased quite rapidly and energy consumption soared leading to a shortage of domestic generation capacity, an increasing reliance on importers, and limited import capacity.

With consumption high, Hydro rates went through the roof overnight, and the taxpayers of Ontario took the bills for it. Electricity prices spiked an average of over 30% in just seven months.

The IESO issued power warnings and advisories for consumers to conserve energy since power supplies were struggling to keep up with demand

Faced with public outrage and anger, the Ernie Eves PC’s were forced to freeze prices for residential and small business owners — an unsustainable economic policy. This was legislated under the Electricity Pricing, Conservation, and Supply Act in 2002.

Retroactive to May 2002, the Act effectively allowed for the freeze of retail prices for low volume consumers, who accounted for half of the electricity consumed in the province.

The cap just masked the underlying problem of rising cost pressures in an electricity system in need of renewal and additional supply.

Ontario had also become heavily reliant on coal-fired generation. About 25 per cent of electricity generation came from polluting coal-fired plants. In addition, Ontario imported coal power from neighbouring American states.

As a result, Ontario, a province with a historic capability to provide ample power resources, had become a net importer of power.

Timeline of Events
In 2002, the Court ruled against the privatization. A few months after this time, the Harris PC’s scrapped their plan to privatize Hydro One.

In August 2003 Ontario and the northeastern US experienced a major blackout. Deregulation of electricity had been a major cause of this crisis. Although privatization of Hydro One had stopped, deregulation of the price paid to private producers was firmly in place.

Back in 2004, Globe and Mail documented $5.6 million in untendered contracts handed over to four top PC in Ontario by the utility in a secret program to lobby the government to sell Ontario Hydro to investors.

In 2004, Hydro One had admitted that Mike Harris had been paid $18, 591 for advice after he left the premier’s office. Harris had received the money as part of a Hydro One contract that was granted to former Quebec premier Pierre-Marc Johnson in 2002.

Harris was never paid directly by Hydro One, but was hired instead by Johnson as part of his $115,807 contract with the publicly owned utility.
[...]
http://prudentpress.com/politics/ontario-hydro-path-privatization/

urbantoronto might consider running a follow-on story to this. I'm very down on Wynne, the polls agree with me, but in all fairness, she did inherit a mess. That does not excuse her weak and incredibly late response to dealing with it though.

The Libs had better come up with a new Captain, or the shi....errrr....ship is going onto the rocks.

Last edited:
Wynne had better come up with some answers pdq, and it's not by dipping in one consumer pocket to put it in the other, albeit that must be examined. How was she and McQuinty so incredibly blind to this issue growing so huge?
How were voters so incredibly blind?

How were voters so incredibly blind?
Blind, or self-aware about the 'alternative' options?

Just like with other issues (most obvious one to mind is the Gas Plant scandal, where both PC and NDP's positions were identical to the Liberals), I highly doubt it would have been much different under a different leadership.

Blind, or self-aware about the 'alternative' optios?
Exactly, you beat me to it.

I'd suggest to BurlOak that if the Cons would run someone like they did in various regimes multiple decades ago, they'd be elected in a flash. For some reason, running deviants and despots has little appeal for Joe Average. Pass the Vaseline....

Exactly, you beat me to it.

I'd suggest to BurlOak that if the Cons would run someone like they did in various regimes multiple decades ago, they'd be elected in a flash. For some reason, running deviants and despots has little appeal for Joe Average. Pass the Vaseline....

That, plus the prospect of voting in a party that has overt homophobes in its caucus.

That, plus the prospect of voting in a party that has overt homophobes in its caucus.
There's a supreme irony in that though, since you raise the subject, and I don't want the Admin of this site to kneejerk on this, I've been the victim of a number of muzzles that gay friends have been abhorred by in the past, they're not snowflakes....

But the Cons harbour as many or more 'non-straights' as any other party. And Harper's cabinet took the decorated cake on that one. The Ont Cons appear to have a number, not to mention their leader....and I state that in no way biased, I've worked in the Arts for half a century, and have quite a few gay friends. What is notable is that having 'non-straights' in this race, on both sides, means that the subject will not be raised...*dare not* be raised. Unless someone makes it an issue.

TeamBlue2018‏@TeamBlue2018 1h1 hour ago
Party sources say Toronto Deputy Mayor @DenzilMW will be acclaimed as @OntarioPCParty candidate in Don Valley East. STAR CANDIDATE
Interesting. In all deference to Denzil (sounds like a movie, Bonzo Goes to Washington), and as much as there's issues that put him at odds with many of my ilk...he is an *able* man. He's also leadership material. And unlike many, very astute with municipal issues. He might be a very strong voice for TO at QP.

Edit to Add: Now if we could get Gordon Chong back from the FedCons, and into QP, the OntCons could start to be a force to be reckoned with again.

We are talking about the same DMW who doesn't accept the difference between refugees and illegal immigrants, right?

Well folks, I'd suggest the point of discussion is whether Wynne can win. For all your invective, most of it reactionary, Minan-Wong would klean Kathleen's Klock with a pair of Klogs in a poll.

Best you think about that! Maybe I'm a lot more seasoned than many of you, but you're playing right into the hands of the very thing that got Trump elected.

Don't be stupid. Use your energy to get someone electable driving the bus instead of arguing in the back seats. Over a year to go, Wynne can be gone, and someone fresh, untainted and *electable* can be on the ballot to vote for.

As you were...

And dismiss the right-leaning Radwanski all you like, it's time to read the tea-leaves, and that includes coffee drinkers and vegetable greenies too...

ADAM RADWANSKI

Will Kathleen Wynne’s last-ditch hydro fix just add to the mess?
Adam Radwanski

The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Mar. 01, 2017 9:49PM EST

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...dro-fix-just-add-to-the-mess/article34182155/

Our hydro hysteria generates hydro hypocrisy: Cohn

Ontarians wanted cheap hydro, and they shall have it. But the Liberals are buying off voters with their own money.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...-hysteria-generates-hydro-hypocrisy-cohn.html

This is the writing on the wall folks, throw all the stones you like at Minan-Wong, it just shows how easy you are to be played.

Last edited:
Why should be believe anything they promise? Where is that high speed rail they promised in the last election?

MTO's single transit staff has been busy doing 407 busway work for the last decade and still has another decade on that project before they'll be allowed to move to the HSR EA.

That's not meant to be serious but I wouldn't be surprised if general disinterest by MTO staff was drawing out the timelines a bit.

The Missing Link EA is the most interesting and challenging piece and progress on it is slow moving as well.

Last edited:

Back