News   May 06, 2024
 499     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 684     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

For many years before it was demolished, the building at The Esplanade and Market was Ponterini's garage. This from Google Streetview June 2009 (I love how you can go back with S'view!)

pontieri.JPG

Attachments

• pontieri.JPG
    pontieri.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 776
Then: St. George Street at Harbord, looking north, April 7, 1948. St. George was lined with grand Victorian houses and mature trees up to Bloor Street. The trees were cut down to widen the roadway to 4 car lanes. The homes were mostly demolished to expand the University of Toronto's campus, though some have been preserved. The construction of Robarts Library, in particular, involved the large scale demolition of the houses on the left side of the photo.

St. George St (widening project) at Harbord St looking N, CofT Archives, 7 April 1948.jpg

Now. St. George is a vibrant and leafy campus artery, lined with various university landmarks. The roadway itself was again reconfigured late 1990s for wider sidewalks, new trees and bike lanes.

Attachments

• St. George St (widening project) at Harbord St looking N, CofT Archives, 7 April 1948.jpg
    St. George St (widening project) at Harbord St looking N, CofT Archives, 7 April 1948.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 689
Thanks junctionist, for those views of St. George St.
I was reminded of this photo I made quite some time ago of the "old & new."
Also found a couple of other Robarts pix in my files.........

Robarts Library.jpg

The Robarts Library site, 1971

Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG

Time capsule - located south side of Robarts

U of T time capsule-south side of Robarts Library.jpg

Attachments

• Robarts Library.jpg
    Robarts Library.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 852
  • Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG
    Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 667
  • U of T time capsule-south side of Robarts Library.jpg
    U of T time capsule-south side of Robarts Library.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 689
Ah, that's interesting--the time capsule and its gazebo totally pre-dated the actual construction of Robarts; I would have thought by its design that it was integral. (Maybe it was designed by the Robarts team, for the sake of site-specific consistency.)

Come to think of it, so much about that superblock encapsulates 60s/70s university-campus laid-back shagginess, from the ad-hoc here-there-and-everywhere dirt parking lot to the "hangoutness" of that "Macdonald" joint on the left...

[Edit: is the NE corner of the block hoarded? Would that be the beginning stage of site preparation?]

Last edited:
Bloor-Yonge, N/W corner, 1971
This building created in 1899

View attachment 96131

Note that the Pilot is wedged in between *two* CIBCs; the former Canadian Bank of Commerce, and (as can be seen in the frieze) the former Imperial Bank of Canada (the two were merged in 1961).

Also, the "Tavern" lettering in the rooftop sign pylon is similar to that of the El Mocambo sign.

Attachments

• Rossin.jpg
    Rossin.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 713
  • RossinHotel.jpg
    RossinHotel.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 721
You're absolutely correct, UserNameToronto!
Thank you for the sharp eyesight. -- My BAD.
Correcting immediately.

You're absolutely correct, UserNameToronto!
Thank you for the sharp eyesight. -- My BAD.
Correcting immediately.

I'm in that part of town everyday - my eyesight is poor, but memory's still good :) Thanks for posting in here G, I really enjoy your contributions

Boy, the stripping of the Prince George façade was bleak--no wonder there wasn't much love there--and yet, the ground floor pilasters and capitals and frieze kept ticking to the very end...

Back