2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

s

Yes they are close in proximity... But only

One is considered part of Toronto and on Toronto's transit network. Only One has been neglected from all levels of government for transit infrastructure as only One has multiple highways to attract business investment. Only One has a central focused Municipal Growth plan which is reviewed consistently to ensure attractiveness & competitive. Only One has a proposed seamless north-south LRT line proposed. And last we would all be naïve to believe they don't build subway stops to outer Toronto suburbs. And just like Vaughan only One of these areas will have no fight to stop it from happening when that time comes.

Scarborough's transit needs will certainly be met with a lot of BRT and LRT with a subway station in the City Centre connecting flawlessly to the rest of the City.

No doubt. SC has got a lot to show, and much more to come. My hope tho is that we find a use for Line 3 infrastructure. It'd be a great shame to throw something like that away. Many don't seem to realize that it's above LRT, and with proper tooling and upgraded vehicles would provide well above LRT capacity/reliability. With Line 2 to SC, I think Line 4 could be modified for vehicles similar to Line 3, extended east, and eventually put Line 3's elevated stations and infrastructure to use. Eventually this could be extended east (no different than the decades-old plans to bring Line 3 to Centennial then Malvern). That'd create a proper network, serve current and old Network 2011 goals, and expand our subway network considerably.

No doubt. SC has got a lot to show, and much more to come. My hope tho is that we find a use for Line 3 infrastructure. It'd be a great shame to throw something like that away. Many don't seem to realize that it's above LRT, and with proper tooling and upgraded vehicles would provide well above LRT capacity/reliability. With Line 2 to SC, I think Line 4 could be modified for vehicles similar to Line 3, extended east, and eventually put Line 3's elevated stations and infrastructure to use. Eventually this could be extended east (no different than the decades-old plans to bring Line 3 to Centennial then Malvern). That'd create a proper network, serve current and old Network 2011 goals, and expand our subway network considerably.

Agreed I really think they'll use it as a City Centre light rail feeder line that will also continue thru Centennial College, Malvern TC extension later on. They still need to connect to Sheppard and they still need to feed across the CC into the subway in an effective manner. It would be great for both Malvern and the CC.

They could modify the Elsmere BRT to be a feeder but you still need to cross the 401 so this makes far greater sense

Last edited:

Well, the GO train line there could use some double tracking, or at least a siding.

Well, the GO train line there could use some double tracking, or at least a siding.

Correct, I was talking under the assumption everything south of Ellesmere would go to GO. That is: complete removal of N/S at-grade guideway, Lawrence E, and Ellesmere stations. But the infrastructure north of Ellesmere (elevated guideway, yard, Midland, SC, and McCowan stations) would be incorporated into a new mostly E-W Sheppard extension. Definitely 'fantasy' stuff, but it seems a good use of existing infrastructure if studied.

No they can't. Not with the poles in the middle, curbs on the sides and a rush to get to whoever's called for help.

Once again....

They do all the time. When I lived in the area, I'd see fire trucks zipping along the ROW a couple of times a month. Police cars too. It would depend on how bad the traffic was.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The Sheppard LRT is about as smart as the current SRT is. If they do end up building it, 20-40 years from now, the city will end up regretting not spending the money for a full subway. I still think the 2 lines could be connected and form a big U.

Poor Malvern.

Why? Malvern isn't as needed as many other rapid transit lines. Malvern makes little sense, unless you want to cheap out on transit in that area and have a break in gauge for everyone riding through to a subway.

Give me a good reason it should be kept?

Back