Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Bottomline: White male cyclist are not the typical demographic that visit the Korean, Persian and Chinese ethnic restaurants and retailers along Yonge Street currently. The cycle tracks will cater primarily for these white male cyclist and will be displacing on-street parking and rush-hour-traffic lanes used by Korean, Persian and Chinese customers visiting these local Korean, Persian and Chinese ethnic restaurants and retailers along Yonge Street,.... so how will these ethnic business survive?

Your assumptions are remarkable. Let's revisit this conversation after the the street has been RE-imaged and hope that you're wrong, for the businesses sake.

Look at the retailers demographic in the former SheppardCentre Mall - the mall was in such terrible condition with the previous owner that often only relatively newly arrived visible minorities would open up shop there; once RioCan and KingsettCapital brought it and started their renovation,... they jack up their new rent! They don't care about these small retailers operated by visible minorities, they only want to attract the big brand name stores,.... So when SheppardCentre renovation started, some of these former store owners just retired or still looking to relocate (Chinese key-battery store, Korean lottery store),... a couple stores moved to EmeraldPark (namely Korean PearlCleaners and Persian FancyDryCleaners) where their foot-traffic volume is a small fraction of what it was at SheppardCentre. Once the new SheppardCentre Mall reopens, check out the type of new stores they'll have,.... there won't be any small retailers operated by visible minorities because they were "pushed out" by RioCan's greed.

I always thought RioCan was a business and looking to make money.

Maybe you can petition them to lower their rent and change the street to your liking since you have the connections. I can't because... well, you know me better than anyone...

PipolChap, I've been advocating for a variety of infrastructure improvements including cycling infrastructure from the local councillors, mayor, MPP, MP, city staff, TTC, local retailers, provincial staff, developers-land owners, local ratepayer groups, etc,... for years. And I'm pretty sure you don't bother, I know all the local advocates! And best of all, I get things done,... People like you just complain when it's against your own personal best interest,... regardless of what's best for the community as a whole.

:rolleyes:

For those individual storefronts bikelanes will be detrimental to business but for denser property like malls along the street it will be quite beneficial for most of the year. Commercial property tax accounts for around 51% of government revenue so I'm sure it's in the city's interest to phase out these low density commercial properties (who just so happen to be ethnic) in favour of high density.

I doubt that's as common as you're suggesting.

I don't think you live in the area. If you do take a trip to the parking levels of EP and tell me what you see.

Yesterday.

IMG_2574.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 697
I don't think you live in the area. If you do take a trip to the parking levels of EP and tell me what you see.

I park my car down there every night. If you can buy a car that costs six figures, you can buy much more than a condo unit in a Toronto suburb. People buy condos because they're assets that retain their value and don't require constant involvement - you can live in it when you need to, and rent it or just pay the maintenance fees if you don't. Owning a house is much more complicated - you have to take care of all the maintenance yourself, which is a lot more expensive when you need to pay people to do all of it for just one home.

If you don't believe me, look at Vancouver's non-occupancy study - they looked at whether or not homes were occupied from 2002 until 2014 and found a constant non-occupancy rate of ~7% for apartments and ~1.25% for all other types of homes. Here's a link.

SunnyRay;
Have you contacted Councillor John Filion regarding the ongoing fiasco of the Poyntz Ave. subway tunnel? Not that he can strong-arm Bazis but every bit might help at this point to complete it sooner rather than later. I emailed him on Nov.6 but have not received a reply. Maybe he's looking into it, but it's always good to get some basic reply. I know he'll show up for a photo-op at the big ribbon cutting ceremony.
The opening is so close that I'm ready to dismantle the hoarding myself. Only a few wires to connect but that could take weeks or months as we've seen. I've asked staff to prepare signs stating "expected completion late DEC. 2016."

SunnyRay;
Have you contacted Councillor John Filion regarding the ongoing fiasco of the Poyntz Ave. subway tunnel? Not that he can strong-arm Bazis but every bit might help at this point to complete it sooner rather than later. I emailed him on Nov.6 but have not received a reply. Maybe he's looking into it, but it's always good to get some basic reply. I know he'll show up for a photo-op at the big ribbon cutting ceremony.
The opening is so close that I'm ready to dismantle the hoarding myself. Only a few wires to connect but that could take weeks or months as we've seen. I've asked staff to prepare signs stating "expected completion late DEC. 2016."

Friday morning I noticed a couple guys wearing black jackets working in the pedestrian tunnel - one was messing with the door lock for the hoarding,... I guess one of them was you,... I was the Chinese guy with glasses asking when this pedestrian tunnel will open,.... answer I got was "I don't know". Anyways, I noticed most of the handicap-accessible signage has been correctly removed and apparently I was wrong about the U-turn sign - it currently points the correct way
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-133#post-1158464

Over the years CityPlanning, Councillor John Filion and his office staff have been made very well aware of our community annoyance and inconvenience from all the delays with Bazis Emerald Park development project. These issues include delay in LansingUnitedChurch community construction, Yonge Street lane reduction for pedestrian tunnel that went beyond schedule, final project not resembling rendering, constant stream of water tankers to empty their water reservoir, useful retail space that was supposed to be beneficial to the local community, LCBO not opening - that really got us pissed!, and of course the delayed TTC entrance forcing locals to cross Yonge Street at a dangerous intersection.

I sent the following email to Councillor Filion, his office staff responsible for development and infrastructure project, the current city planner responsible for EmeraldPark and the city planner formerly responsible for EmeraldPark who is now responsible for Bazis exhibit (200 Bloor West) & e-condo (8 Eglintion East) project - she would be able to "strong-arm Bazis" the most since she's most familiar with all of Bazis tricks and short-cuts at EmerldPark, that's probably why she was assigned to watch over Bazis at exhibit & e-condo! Also CC-ed my local ratepayers group. I would suggest you forward your original email to the same people, PM me if you need their email address, but it's very easy to find online,... for City Planner, look up the online development applications and the current city planner in charge is listed with the development

EmeraldPark TTC Subway Entrance - Bazis' Repeated Missed Re-Opening Deadlines

Greetings Councillor Filion, Catherine, Doug and Carla,

Note: CC West Lansing Homeowners Association

As you may remember Bazis Emerald Park and Tridel Hullmark Centre both received their City Planning Final Report in early 2010 and started their construction about the same time. Yet, the smaller scale Bazis Emerald Park project has been plagued with constant delays and missed deadlines, one of the most frustrating is the reopening of the TTC subway entrance on the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Poyntz Ave which was closed on "June 16, 2014" and originally schedule to reopen "early 2015":

By February 2015, the Tridel Hullmark Centre had already opened their second more technically challenging TTC Subway entrance at their North Tower on Sheppard Ave East which was delayed a year since the underground pedestrian tunnel had to be redesign not to interfere with the existing northbound Yonge to eastbound Sheppard wye subway turning tunnel under the public plaza of Hullmark Centre.
http://johnfilion.ca/new-subway-tunnel-opens-at-hullmark/

Meanwhile Bazis Emerald Park TTC subway entrance was no-where close to being complete so the "early 2015" reopening date was delayed until "end of July 2015", then "February 2016", then "late August 2016", then "late October 2016", then "late November 2016" and now I'm hearing it might be delayed further to "late December 2016" or beyond. An originally scheduled 9-month construction project is now 29-plus-months long and counting!
http://westlansing.ca/Local-News/Poyntz-Subway-Entrance-Delayed-Once-Again.aspx

The most frustrating part is for the past year, it's rare to see any workers on-site working at the Emerald Park TTC Subway entrance; it's obviously not a priority with this developer. Right now, the Emerald Park TTC subway entrance only need at most a few worker days of labour mainly to connect and test electrical wiring (like push button doors and sensors) and a final clean-up to be ready to re-open for the public. But instead of re-opening in a matter of days, they're likely to miss their currently displayed late November deadline and also their next late December deadline.

In the meantime, the local residents of West Lansing and the new residents of Emerald Park must access Tridel Hullmark Centre South Tower TTC subway entrance by crossing Yonge Street at the dangerously problematic intersection of Yonge and Poyntz Ave / Anndale Dr where pedestrian crossing path is routinely blocked by northbound Yonge traffic failing to clear the intersection. Now winter is once again approaching.

thanks,
_______

Last edited:
I know this post is a bit off topic from the whole situation with the TTC entrance, but is anyone annoyed with the cladding of this project? I'm not sure why, but the specific hue of green they used reminds me of a John Deere tractor, and even then, the way the glass panels are so systematically rectangular all along the tower and podium just annoys me. I'm not trolling, but the choice of cladding doesn't look very streamlined to me, it's very grid-based and linear. I haven't ever really walked around these towers in earnesty, but I've been in the immediate area (The Hullmark Centre) and I've rode buses whilst noticing the choice of cladding.

Anyways, to go back to what sunray was talking about, or at least attempt to, I gotta say the whole situation of finding a TTT subway entrance in the Yonge and Sheppard intersecton and immediate area honestly confuses the hell out of me. The first time I was in the area, I scouted out for an entrance and eventually I found one at the Hullmark centre. Part of me wishes Bazis or whoever designed both Emerald Park and the Hullmark Centre maybe, if they were able to, tried to centralize the TTC entrance as close to the intersection as possible. (I'm aware it's not very easy with the Hullmark Centre, but they could've oriented the entrance to be a bit more visually displaying. If anyone disagrees with me, or if I said anything that made no sense or was close to trolling, I'll take responsibility for my actions.

I know this post is a bit off topic from the whole situation with the TTC entrance, but is anyone annoyed with the cladding of this project? I'm not sure why, but the specific hue of green they used reminds me of a John Deere tractor, and even then, the way the glass panels are so systematically rectangular all along the tower and podium just annoys me. I'm not trolling, but the choice of cladding doesn't look very streamlined to me, it's very grid-based and linear. I haven't ever really walked around these towers in earnesty, but I've been in the immediate area (The Hullmark Centre) and I've rode buses whilst noticing the choice of cladding.

Anyways, to go back to what sunray was talking about, or at least attempt to, I gotta say the whole situation of finding a TTT subway entrance in the Yonge and Sheppard intersecton and immediate area honestly confuses the hell out of me. The first time I was in the area, I scouted out for an entrance and eventually I found one at the Hullmark centre. Part of me wishes Bazis or whoever designed both Emerald Park and the Hullmark Centre maybe, if they were able to, tried to centralize the TTC entrance as close to the intersection as possible. (I'm aware it's not very easy with the Hullmark Centre, but they could've oriented the entrance to be a bit more visually displaying. If anyone disagrees with me, or if I said anything that made no sense or was close to trolling, I'll take responsibility for my actions.

Yes, from a transit point of view, since this is a highly walkable urban centre it makes to place the TTC subway entrance as close to the intersection of Yonge & Sheppard as possible. And as you can see, prior to the construction of Tridel HullmarkCentre, there used to be a TTC subway entrance right at the south-east corner of Yonge & Sheppard as per Gratty's photo,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...del-kirkor-architects.668/page-35#post-441153
HullmarkCentre_Sept2010_Gratty.jpg

See that grey cement bunker style TTC entrance?,... it was there from about 2000-2010 Ok, technically it wasn't exactly a TTC subway entrance,... it was a TTC emergency exit but it lead directly to what is now the eastbound Sheppard STUBway line platform collector booth area,... the fire doors in the background of Salsa's photo here used to be the emergency exit doors for the previous emergency exit.
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...del-kirkor-architects.668/page-93#post-936681
HullmarkCentre_Oct2014_Salsa.jpg

Thus, technically, they could have easily kept,... err, I mean "put in",... a TTC subway entrance right at the south-east corner of Yonge & Sheppard,.... but instead Tridel wanted another direct subway connection specifically for their NorthTower (already have one for their SouthTower) and CityPlanning wanted a nice public square open space at the corner,.... so they went with the more difficult task of building an underground pedestrian tunnel that had problems navigating around the existing northbound Yonge to eastbound Sheppard wye subway turning tunnel so that they could connect to the NorthTower. As mentioned before this pedestrian tunnel had to be redesigned during construction and as such construction of the NorthTower above was delayed about a year as they awaited city approval.

The current Menkes 4800 Yonge proposal will not have a subway connection at the southwest corner of Yonge and Sheppard - technically doable since they will not has an open space public square and a new connection would be on the eastbound Sheppard STUBway line platform west of the current collector booth area on other side of hallway (where there used to be a Cinnabon cart) and thus no tricky pedestrian tunnel navigating around eastbound Sheppard to southbound Yonge wye subway turning tunnel,.... but instead Menkes is proposing to connect to the existing TTC subway entrance 25 Sheppard West (Nestle building) already has; thus, it's users will have to walk 300ft away from Yonge Street to access that entrance and then do a U-turn underground to walk 300ft in the opposite direction to access the Yonge line.

With the current SheppardCentre Mall renovation, one of the original concerns was to make their TTC subway entrance more accessible from street-level instead of the previous going into a moat and then about 90ft into their mall (shopping anyone?) to do a U-turn to access the subway entrance; the new entrance is about 20ft closer to the intersection (still north of the CIBC bank) and user will only have to go about 60ft into their structure.

As for EmeraldPark cladding,... the original rendering from Bazis was quite spectacular,... multiple shades of very glossy green reflective glass,... and prior to construction, many here compared this project as being on par with Mississauga's Absolute World - the Marilyn Monroe building
http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/emerald-park-condos
But Bazis disappointed again,... and the cladding at EmeraldPark is a cheap shade of "dollarama green" sprandel and thick black mullions. It's really just regular tempered glass with cheap green colour plastic wrap.

Thus, don't get your hopes up too high with Bazis' e-condo in midtown,... the "black" glass in their rendering,... will end up being just regular tempered glass with cheap black colour plastic wrap complimented by thick black mullions. Ditto for the red glass in that project.

Attachments

• HullmarkCentre_Sept2010_Gratty.jpg
    HullmarkCentre_Sept2010_Gratty.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 528
  • HullmarkCentre_Oct2014_Salsa.jpg
    HullmarkCentre_Oct2014_Salsa.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 517
Warning,.... another "long and senseless post" ;p

And over time as these visible minorities increase their wealth and were ready to move up, many like the area so they just move out of the residential condo units into the nearby single residential houses

I doubt that's as common as you're suggesting. The single residential houses in the area are ridiculously expensive - they're literally just worth the value of the land underneath them. The most expensive apartments are Emerald Park are in the 650,000 - 700,000 range, while the least expensive post-WW2 bungalows in the area are $1.5 million.

You might have found the deal of the century,.... or a bungalow on small lot but most likely it's just a low set asking price with the purpose of generating buyer interest and a bidding war, in which case you should expect the final price to be about $250,000 more. The final price of an old post war bungalow on the standard 50'X130' lot was about $2.1million this past summer - it's all land value as it's mainly builders that's buying to build new McMansions.

For the past 25 years, I live in the single residential house area directly southwest of EmeraldPark, and I'm quite chatty (shocking!) with most of my neighbours and have found that just as many of my neighbours had moved in from the high-density condos/townhouses in NorthYorkCentre area as from all the other parts of GTA combined. Why? As within the usual Canadian-ethnic dream for later generations (most are 2nd generation from P.E.Trudeau's open immigration policy),... A large segment of NorthYorkCentre condo residents are young university educated professionals, some live as single and some as couples and tend to be upwardly mobile in their career and earning potential. Many as they start families move into houses in the neighbourhood since they're already familiar with the area and like the current ethnic vibrancy of Yonge Street.

Your assertion that all condo residents of NorthYorkCentre only live in condos (price typically from $350k-550k and at most $700k) because they can't afford houses in the area is faulty. When you see an expensive new exotic sports car on Yonge Street in NorthYorkCentre (mostly driven by Asian teenagers or 20-something!), you're more likely to see it turn into a condo tower VS onto a street for the single residential house. Some of the EmeraldPark residential condo dwellers can afford more expensive cars than those living in the area's $3.5million McMansions,... and they can even afford to forget about their brand new expensive Mercedes CLS63 AMG and just let it rot!
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-119#post-1106360

Your faulty assertion shows you're really not familiar with this area. You see, Canada's immigration policy has changed dramatically since our parent's, grandparent's, great-grandparent's generation where poor immigrants came here with just the clothes on their back to scrape for a living. Canada's immigration policy is now so selective that most of us who are already in Canada wouldn't even qualify! It's now a point system based on the applicant's education level, professional skill set, income-potential, wealth, age, etc,... For the most part, Canada is now basically only letting in the best of the best from the rest of the world.

And many of these wealthy, well-educated and skillful new immigrants settle in multi-culturally diverse Toronto,... but where in Toronto? Many new immigrants especially Korean, Persian and Chinese will live in the residential condos of NorthYorkCentre first as a temporary home since many come from urban centres and are used to living in condos, it's near ethnic businesses along Yonge Street providing food and product they're familiar with, large number of financial institutions especially ethnic ones in the area, the area is close to highway and transit they'll rely on until they get Ontario drivers license, and as they try to establish and settle themselves here in Toronto,.... it's best to just rent or buy a residential condo as a temporary home,.... and once they know they know they want to stay longer term, they'll start shopping for a real house or just order a custom built McMansion (pretty much like I order a McHappy meal!),... and since they're now familiar with NorthYorkCentre, often they'll just move from rented $500k condo into a newly built $3-4milliion McMansion in NorthYorkCentre!

Some of the locals have been referring to the condos of NorthYorkCentre as "the NEW Spadina",.... since the Old Spadina was famous as being the first landing strip for new immigrants into Canada.

Another large segment are international students renting or buying condos especially in EmeraldPark where 70% of units are rental,... they're paying about $40-50K per year in tuition alone,... but often they'll just choose to rent a $500,000 condo because it's less hassle than living in a house,.... but once they graduate, if they decide to stay here and like the area,... they'll likely buy a McMansion in NorthYorkCentre. But some of the McMansions already resemble Asian frat houses with expensive cars.

When I moved into the area about 25 years ago, about 5% of the single residential households were visible minorities, now it's closer to 40%,... mainly Korean, Persian and Chinese,....

I park my car down there every night.

I really doubt that,.... since you know so little about the area. Prove it,... what's the key fob/card security system EmeraldPark uses? Or just post a photo of your EmeraldPark key fob/card.

If you can buy a car that costs six figures, you can buy much more than a condo unit in a Toronto suburb. People buy condos because they're assets that retain their value and don't require constant involvement - you can live in it when you need to, and rent it or just pay the maintenance fees if you don't. Owning a house is much more complicated - you have to take care of all the maintenance yourself, which is a lot more expensive when you need to pay people to do all of it for just one home.

If you don't believe me, look at Vancouver's non-occupancy study - they looked at whether or not homes were occupied from 2002 until 2014 and found a constant non-occupancy rate of ~7% for apartments and ~1.25% for all other types of homes. Here's a link.

Non-occupancy study only shows condos are more attractive to oversea buyers who are frequently out of town or to flip-pers.

The maintenance cost on condos eats away at their value make them less attractive investment VS house property. Basic home maintenance isn't rocket science and most can easily be done by individual homeowners themselves; for anything that needs a true professional, I'd much rather spend about $1,000 per year on buying my own equipment and hiring professionals than losing about $5,000 per year on maintenance costs.

The price of single residential houses have increased at a much higher rate than those of condos. Why? It's basic supply and demand. Look at EmeraldPark, the original lot size could have hosted about 14 single residential houses typical of the area. But with the development of EmeraldPark, that same land, now hosts 565+18 residential condo units, 60 office-condo, 75 retail-condo and entire 2nd floor retail level units. That's over a 40-fold increase in residential units alone,... on the same original parcel of land! No wonder why municipalities are building high-density urban centres,... to increase their property tax revenue!

Condo prices will never go up as fast as traditional residential house prices since there's a constant new supply of residential condos coming onto the market. In NorthYorkCentreSecondaryPlan area with an average of one new condo tower opening every 3-4 months for the last 20 years, that work out to about 100 new residential condo units every month,...... but each of these condo towers requires land that could have hosted about 10 detached houses,.... so the supply of detached single residential houses and their land is decreasing in Toronto,.... and thus, currently in Toronto the price of detached single residential houses increase the most!

Why are detached single residential houses favoured by developers? Usually these properties are on larger lots and thus developers has to deal with less sellers, thus, less logistics and total cost,... all developer want is the land, not a bunch of semi-detached on tiny lots with many individual sellers to deal with.

"In Toronto, detached house prices rose 15.2 per cent to $1,285,693 on average." "Semi prices rose 11.8 per cent region-wide to $670,074 in the GTA" "The average Toronto region condo rose 5.9 per cent in price over last May." Data based on last May,... before the prices went nuts in the summer.
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/06/03/toronto-house-prices-up-157-in-may.html

"The average price of a detached home soared 21 per cent from July 2015 to $952,983." "The average condo price in the Greater Toronto Area rose 9.2 per cent to $406,865."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...e-market-sees-record-sales-for-july-1.3707386

Bottomline: White male cyclist are not the typical demographic that visit the Korean, Persian and Chinese ethnic restaurants and retailers along Yonge Street currently. The cycle tracks will cater primarily for these white male cyclist and will be displacing on-street parking and rush-hour-traffic lanes used by Korean, Persian and Chinese customers visiting these local Korean, Persian and Chinese ethnic restaurants and retailers along Yonge Street,.... so how will these ethnic business survive?

Your assumptions are remarkable. Let's revisit this conversation after the the street has been RE-imaged and hope that you're wrong, for the businesses sake.

We're already seeing how bike lanes on Bloor at the cost of on-street parking is starting to destroy KoreaTown on Bloor,.... and that area sees about 800 cyclist per day
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-concerned-about-bloor-bike-lanes-impact.html

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what cycle track on Yonge at the cost of on-street parking and rush-hour traffic lanes will do to KoreaTownNorth on Yonge Street in NorthYorkCentre,... here, we probably see 800 cyclist per year!

So let's do ReImagining Yonge Street Study proposal WITHOUT the cycle track,...
- keep the on-street parking and rush-hour traffic lanes
- extend the tree-lined centre median down to Highway 401 and up to Finch Hydro Corridor
- add the 2m wide in-ground tree planters and up graded street furniture to the new pedestrian sidewalks
- repave the 3 northbound and 3 southbound traffic lanes of Yonge Street

So we can all continue to enjoy the Korean, Persian and Chinese restaurants and retailers along Yonge Street in NorthYorkCentre and watch EmeraldPark retail, office and residential components all reach their full potential.

Back