News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is 100 percent certain that 1 Bloor E. will be approved....:)

Architectural review?

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!

Sorry about the shouting, but the latest version of this tower is lame, and has been screaming for such a review. Recent reports read as if the review of the previous design with the City's planning department had reduced the design to 90 degree angles, removing the scooped western facade and the slight V shape achieved by vaulting floors out (on the north side at least) as the building rose. Was it the planning department that dulled the building down, or did Bazis apply The Cheapening to the previous plan? In any case, what we have ended up with is graceless, especially the useless, blocky mechanical slab and fins at the top. So go at 'em boys - make something of this exclamation point on the skyline!

Oh - and retail? The space is not nearly big enough to house a proper Macy's. Simons would fit however, but I'm still hoping they'll take over part of the Bay Queen Street if that store gets downsized. Apple would be a natural fit here.

Rooftop treatments are often useless.

That said, I hope the design panel will encourage them to make it more dramatic.

yyz:

Well, with both the mayor AND the ward councillor showing up the sales opening before the building is approved, I'd say. While I think the project should go through, I am not sure if that was "proper".

syn:

I am more hearted by the emphasis on materials.

AoD

yyz:

Well, with both the mayor AND the ward councillor showing up the sales opening before the building is approved, I'd say. While I think the project should go through, I am not sure if that was "proper".

syn:

I am more hearted by the emphasis on materials.

AoD

Me too. I actually think it's a nice tower...but if they're going to do a crown, do it right.

GB: actually I forgot that I commissioned a gorgeous glass sculpture by a local artist that used a dichroic layer at the base because it was designed to be lit from underneath.... absolutely spectacular.

So I'd argue that using just this layer under transparent fins would be unbelievably gorgeous at night ... sort of LED on LSD (not so much during the day). Very do-able.

It would be really neat to use dichroic glass for the fins instead of what seems like a metallic cladding.

Yeah but No but Yeah but No but Yeah but you don't want to have something fairly see-through that high up lest something else mistakenly thinks it has some airspace it can fly through there.

=

For no reason whatsoever, here's a fairly accurate look at the scale of 1BEast... just for fun (you might have to scroll):

scale.jpg

Thx for the compilation, 3D!

Hmm, it may create a CN Tower effect where it makes all of it's surroundings appear tiny because of it's own scale.

You've illustrated the point I was making earlier about how noticeable this building will be from different parts of the City.

Consider that the HBC - CIBC twins are so visible all the way down the Danforth to at least Victoria Park and you get the idea.

Great to see you around again Cass.

As for y/b... don't forget we've got a near 700 footer at 4 seasons and those little 400/500 footers like Uptown, Crystal Meth, Can Tire etc. with more announcements to come no doubt.

Not quite CN Tower effect but... dominating and impactful (eh AP?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back