News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 356     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 918     1 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

If a subway station is built at Sherway Gardens, I can expect one of two things.

1. Parking spaces will be reduced to accommodate a bus terminal and more high rise developments.
2. More parking spaces to accommodate commuters who would ride on the subway.

BTW. This is a list of the
The World’s Largest Parking Lots
from this link.

1. West Edmonton Mall – 20,000 spaces
2. Seattle Sea-Tac Airport – 13,000 spaces
3. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, McNamara Terminal – 11,500 spaces
4. Universal Studios, South Facility – 10,200 spaces
5. Disney World, Magic Kingdom and Epcot Lots – 23,000 spaces combined (Magic Kingdom by itself is 11,000)
6. Disneyland’s Mickey and Friends Parking Structure – 10,000 spaces
7. Chicago O’Hare Airport, Main parking garage – 9,266 spaces
8. Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 parking lot – 9,000 spaces
9. Baltimore-Washington International Airport, Daily Parking Garage – 8,400 spaces
10.Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D Parking Garage – 8,100 spaces​

Sherway is badly linked to Browns Line and the Alderwood area. While this neighbourhood is not at a distance, the opportunities for active transportation links to a Sherway subway station would take a lot of work. Similarly, central Etobicoke residential areas are still a bus ride away, even if there were a subway there would still be a transfer at Kipling or East Mall. That's why people drive to Sherway. I predict that would continue, subway or not.

Yorkdale has a GO Bus terminal, and connects to some key bus routes. I doubt the heavy use of that station is attributable to shoppers. And, apart from the shopping, the Yorkdale area is a wasteland. The subway hasn't done much for that part of town.

Do we want people parking at Sherway to get on the subway?

PS - Sherway is a logical end point for a Queensway LRT. There will be more development along the Queensway than around Sherway. We won't see enough money to do both - which contributes more?

- Paul

Developers such as Cadillac Fairview Oxford should pitch in to help with the cost, since they're benefiting from bringing subway riders to their malls.

Developers such as Cadillac Fairview Oxford should pitch in to help with the cost, since they're benefiting from bringing subway riders to their malls.
Cadallac Fairview and Oxford Properties are competing mall developers, but yes, they should pay for the renovations in subway stations serving their malls.

Oxford Properties (and some previous owners) have been paying the TTC nothing to have Yorkdale be a station name; yes, the Yorkdale community is named after the mall and the station is the only subway station in Toronto to be directly named after a commercial property. Good thing Oxford is paying for the re-installation of the lights.

Didn't we all have fun, ten years or so back, discussing a projection of 700 riders per hour out of a Sherway station? Has that now trebled to 2000?

I agree that a Queensway LRT ROW westward from a DRL station at Roncy-Queen would have Sherway as an ideal terminus. Subway is clearly overkill, but since when has that stopped us before? If anything Toronto seems to prioritize these ridiculous suburban extensions over areas that actually need them.

Someday I'd like to see a Renforth-West Mall-Sherway-Browns Line LRT. You could go from Long Branch to Humber College with 1 interchange.

The study could recommend an extension only as far as the East Mall/427, and not down to Sherway. Or it may not recommend either. At this very same Council meeting, the new MiWay and GO Bus Terminal at Kipling station was given the go-ahead: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.GM13.20

If the final recommendation of the study would be an extension to Honeydale/Cloverdale, I would be 100% in support of that. Probably the most justified 1 station extension in the city. Sherway on the other hand is a bigger stretch.

Cadallac Fairview and Oxford Properties are competing mall developers, but yes, they should pay for the renovations in subway stations serving their malls.

Oxford Properties (and some previous owners) have been paying the TTC nothing to have Yorkdale be a station name; yes, the Yorkdale community is named after the mall and the station is the only subway station in Toronto to be directly named after a commercial property. Good thing Oxford is paying for the re-installation of the lights.

Why not just passing a bylaw to make them pay a maintenance fee for Yorkdale?

Back