News   May 06, 2024
 508     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 689     1 

Toronto Bike Share

If they added stations to neighbourhoods around the subway as well then people could bike to the subway.
As a first step expansion it's pretty good. People who live in one of the well-covered areas downtown (and so have a yearly membership) can now take the subway out to the Danforth, and know that they'll have a convenient way to get around out there.

As a first step expansion it's pretty good. People who live in one of the well-covered areas downtown (and so have a yearly membership) can now take the subway out to the Danforth, and know that they'll have a convenient way to get around out there.
That's not really how bike share is supposed to be used though. You're meant to return the bike to a station at your destination, and the fee structure clearly enforces that model of usage. After the first 90 minutes you're paying $14/hour. Not to mention that there's no lock for the bike if you're stopping at a coffee shop in the Beaches, or something.

Not to mention that there's no lock for the bike if you're stopping at a coffee shop in the Beaches, or something.

To be clear, you're not allowed to leave the bike unattended, locked or not, except by returning it to a Bikeshare dock. Using your own lock, no matter how good it is, how briefly, and with the bike in sight, etc. is against their terms and grounds for fines/membership cancellation. Also, the bikes are something like $1000 or $1200 so I feel like it's just not worth the risk.

Wish we had SoBi here. Much better system.

Well then.
The fee structure isn't that much of an issue, but the "must be attended at all times" issue certainly puts a crimp in the idea of running errands that are biking distances from Danforth stations.

Well then.
The fee structure isn't that much of an issue, but the "must be attended at all times" issue certainly puts a crimp in the idea of running errands that are biking distances from Danforth stations.

The fee structure is designed to enforce the intended use: pick up a bike at one station, and ride it directly to another station close to your destination and walk the rest of the way. Repeat for each leg of the journey. Basically, members ride for free but there is a big fine for exceeding 30 minutes with any given bike.

With the 30 minute cap on trips the bikes stay in circulation with a high turnover, rather than one person claiming a bike for a long period of time. Certainly within the old service area, you could easily ride from one hub to any other hub within 30 minutes. With the new service area, I'm not so sure. Which adds quite a bit of stress if your trip is going to be roughly 30 minutes because you'll want to avoid that big charge for the 31st minute.

I cannot find any conceivable explanation for the stations on Danforth. They are only useful for trips which are already directly on the subway. I guess they'd be handy in the event of a subway shutdown if you get to the dock before they all run out.

I cannot find any conceivable explanation for the stations on Danforth. They are only useful for trips which are already directly on the subway. I guess they'd be handy in the event of a subway shutdown if you get to the dock before they all run out.
I don't use the subway unless I absolutely have to, so I'll definitely use the stations on Danforth. They'd also be convenient if you live near a subway station on the Danforth but want to go somewhere downtown not near a subway station. Making it from Main St to downtown in under 30 minutes on those heavy bikes will be tough though.

The fee structure is designed to enforce the intended use: pick up a bike at one station, and ride it directly to another station close to your destination and walk the rest of the way. Repeat for each leg of the journey. Basically, members ride for free but there is a big fine for exceeding 30 minutes with any given bike.
Yes, but I think it's entirely reasonable for someone to pay the $1.50 to run a 30~60 minute errand out of one of the subway stations. You can cover a lot of distance in that time.

There was a trailer with a number of bike stations on it at Chester Station this morning.

Brand new docking station at the corner of Lamb and Danforth. No bikes yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20160628_110254.jpg
    IMG_20160628_110254.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 251

Using the subway if you're just going one or two stations along the Danforth is a pain in the ass, and it's also expensive for short hops if you don't have a Metropass.

I live literally across the street from a subway entrance on the Danforth and I'll be buying a BikeShareTO membership the moment the stations open. It will be extremely nice to have to pop down to Greektown to get dinner or groceries instead of walking as I do now. I'll save a bunch of time, and get a bit better exercise.

I'll also be able to go basically anywhere downtown or to the west end. That's a nice plus, especially if it's not right on Bloor. Biking could potentially, maybe even likely be faster than subway to streetcar to destination.

I also think it's safe to assume that whenever the next round of expansion comes along in a couple years that they'll be filling in south of Danforth and along Queen into the Beach.

Oh, and maybe most importantly, the Danforth is a major destination in this city... nice to have docks there for people coming from <30 mins away.

I have my new Toronto Bike Share key, waiting to be reactivated.

Although I wish the expansion used smartbikes like SoBi that can be docked anywhere (regular bike racks, poles, railings) -- it's nontheless wonderful that Toronto Bike Share is able to have a fleet stretching all the way from Liberty Village through The Distillery area, and now The Danforth, all the way to St. Clair.

The expansion makes Toronto Bike Share far more useful to me -- the question is as an occasional user, what membership level makes the most sense to me.

Shame they didn't extend Bixi along the western waterfront. If I had a dollar every time I saw a Bixi bike far from home in Humber Bay - I'd be a rich man.

Guess I'm not getting a membership again this year. Too bad. However, no traffic on the Gardiner means I'm back to driving to work every day. 15 min commute!

Shame they didn't extend Bixi along the western waterfront. If I had a dollar every time I saw a Bixi bike far from home in Humber Bay - I'd be a rich man.
Hmm, you should contact Toronto Bike Share, and tell them. Sometimes they do add a few unexpected stations.

I think there's enough safety margin in this procurement that there is probably flexibility to add 1, 2 or 3 more docks in 'forgotten' locations. Feedback time!

I live in an area of Hamilton that has similar residential density to Toronto's Danforth street, complete with 100-year-old brick detached houses. Bikeshare systems surprisingly work surprisingly well in these kinds of neighborhoods -- lower density than downtown but higher density than suburbs.

SoBi managed to work with a mere 750 bikes over 45 square kilometers because it is a smartbike system: A sprinkling of random offdock bikes create a "shorter walking distance to nearest bike". Which makes Hamilton feel like it has 200 to 300 bike hubs during a good day when there's a lot of offdock bikes... This works better in medium-density areas.

SoBi added a bikeshare dock (using surplus stations from a seasonal trial area) near my Hamilton house late last fall partially thanks to my pleading and many others -- and because of GPS records showed bikeshare bikes frequently in my neighborhood (all SoBi bikes have GPS trackers) -- and now it's already one of the more popular "Danforth-density-location" docks (i.e. outside a campus or downtown core) as I see the dock fluctuate between 0 and 10 bikes without needing bike-rebalancing service. I had always seen many off-dock SoBi bikes docked on my street, which showed there was quite a bit of bikeshare demand in my Hamilton old-urban neighborhood.

I returned SoBi the favour by printing and posting signs on a nearby regular bike rack (and street signpoles) to inform my neighbours and community that there's now a SoBi dock only 1 block away (so people don't have to pay the $1 convenience fee for ending a bikeshare rental off-dock). It probably helped the dock's popularity at the end...

Give feedback, possibly by tweeting to them, and/or social media pleads. Sometimes people will pile-on and agree with you (replies, retweets, etc). A photo of a pair of bikes far away from nearest dock, attached to the tweet, can help drive home the point. It might take months or years, but if the demand is apparently there and multiple people are asking, momentum on new bikeshare stations apparently do occur.
I cannot find any conceivable explanation for the stations on Danforth.
I would have simply LOVED to have these docks.

Once I moved from a Toronto downtown condo to Riverdale area several years ago (before I permanently moved to Hamilton) -- I let my BIXI membership lapse precisely because there were no stations in Riverdale area or Danforth area, when I used to live in the Riverdale area.

If there were docks on Danforth, Broadview, and Gerrard, I would have kept my BIXI membership back at the time. I would have grabbed a bike, biked up Broadview, and docked on Danforth. And vice-versa, coasting downhill home near Gerrard/Broadview. I had my own bike too, but sometimes you need a 1-way bike trip (e.g. bad weather outgoing transit trip, good weather return bike trip) or sudden spontaneous (e.g. you walk past a dock and, hey, why not).

I actually use bikeshare services more often (commuter connector, spontaneous, 1-way, etc) than I use my own bike (for long trail rides). Overall, total bike use has slowly increased since bikeshare services got introduced in GTHA -- meaning my owned bike time hasn't decreased but total bike usage has increased thanks to bikeshares, and will continue to do so as both Toronto and Hamilton improves bike infrastructure.

Bikeshares are very spontaneous-friendly, although smartbike systems (e.g. SoBi) moreso than smartdock systems (e.g. BIXI type). About 25% of my bike use is actually spontaneous, e.g. unexpectedly hopping on an available bike rather than walking to catching public transit.

Last edited:
Nah.. That's for them to figure out.

I'm just glad I have my car and clear roads back!!!!!!!! No TTC, no GO just air conditioned goodness and good music.

Back