Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I used to take the Steeles bus from Islington to York University in the 90's and it was regularly packed - I can't imagine it not being far worse now. There really should be a separated ROW there, whether BRT or LRT.

I used to take the Steeles bus from Islington to York University in the 90's and it was regularly packed - I can't imagine it not being far worse now. There really should be a separated ROW there, whether BRT or LRT.

excerpt from https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/stats20112014.pdf

upload_2016-5-16_22-58-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-16_22-58-28.png
    upload_2016-5-16_22-58-28.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 953
How long has the Finch Hydro transitway been around? That could contribute to it - some ridership moving to the express/rocket buses.

Yeah, I'd guess the combo of the transitway to the south and (relatively) express services along Highway 7 to the north have siphoned off those few riders. Cumulatively, I'm pretty sure, York U transit ridership is up over that period (and even moreso in terms of the car/transit modal split which has improved hugely over the past 10-15 years).

Before we start jumping to conclusions, may I ask are these numbers accurate to begin with? Or is it another case of questionable data quality like the time when the city concluded that Yonge & Eglinton is busier than Yonge & Dundas. Well no wonder, it turned out they did the pedestrian counts for Yonge & Dundas in January, while Eglinton was done over the summer.

Before we start jumping to conclusions, may I ask are these numbers accurate to begin with? Or is it another case of questionable data quality like the time when the city concluded that Yonge & Eglinton is busier than Yonge & Dundas. Well no wonder, it turned out they did the pedestrian counts for Yonge & Dundas in January, while Eglinton was done over the summer.

ralph.jpg

Attachments

• ralph.jpg
    ralph.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 545

If I recall correctly, the TTC does their ridership counting by hand still, so these a probably the average riderships of a few days per year.

We'll get more accurate data with PRESTO. Also I believe either the Flexity Freedom or Outlook can automatically detect the number of people on board.

Yeah, I'd guess the combo of the transitway to the south and (relatively) express services along Highway 7 to the north have siphoned off those few riders. Cumulatively, I'm pretty sure, York U transit ridership is up over that period (and even moreso in terms of the car/transit modal split which has improved hugely over the past 10-15 years).

The York University Busway has been operating since 2009, Viva Orange has been operating since 2005 and Züm Queen has been operating since 2010. These statistics are from 2011-2014, so it's probably not just that.

Last edited:

Looking at these ridership numbers: why is no one suggesting a Lawrence LRT??? Or at least an SSE stop at Lawrence to intersect such a productive bus route.

If I recall correctly, the TTC does their ridership counting by hand still, so these a probably the average riderships of a few days per year.

We'll get more accurate data with PRESTO. Also I believe either the Flexity Freedom or Outlook can automatically detect the number of people on board.

It would be great if the TTC had useful data like from Presto or automatic counters. It's embarassing how they don't even know how many people ride their routes, at least beyond one significant digit.

In my fantasy operational world, the TTC has all the streetcars in ROWs operate driverlessly. Driverless operation means that the streetcars actually manage a consistent headway, and since Spadina/Harbourfront/St Clair operate in their own ROW it should be easier to implement. Automatic vehicle counters in the Flexities would compare the number of people in the streetcar with the number of Presto validations in the vehicle and automatically send messages to roving gangs of fare inspectors (former streetcar drivers) when it detects that fare evasion occurs.

I have no issue with hand counting. What's more important is what time of year they did the counts and has the timing been consistent each year that they did them. York University is obviously a huge destination along the route, but over the summer schools generally see much fewer students.

Back