News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 997     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

@reaperexpress You are sending the DRL to Union Station?

I think that the DRL would flood Union Station with a lot more passengers than the RER lines.

Sure, whatever. It could just as easily go to St. Andrew, that's not the point of this map.

I was mostly concerned with the track capacity of the Union Station Rail Corridor. Adding a DRL under Front has no impact on that. But it's nice to have DRL further south and RER further north, so that they can intersect to provide connectivity.

Last edited:
Toronto_2031.png

Felt like I wanted to consolidate the newest transit updates into a map, so here is Toronto Network 2031!

Finch West is missing, but by the time I noticed it was already 2am and I wanted to go to bed. :p That, as well as Yonge North Extension could be added in further update.

P.S. The TTC Font is one of the loveliest fonts I've used! What a beauty!

Attachments

• Toronto_2031.png
    Toronto_2031.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 8,066
Felt like I wanted to consolidate the newest transit updates into a map, so here is Toronto Network 2031!

Finch West is missing, but by the time I noticed it was already 2am and I wanted to go to bed. :p That, as well as Yonge North Extension could be added in further update.

Nice work. Eventually I'm going to retool my map to include the Crosttown extension to UTSC as well. No easy feat imo, considering space is limited, and I've been trying to use a font size very similar to what exists on the current map. No doubt there will be cramming.

And I'm also not looking forward to putting in a single core station at City Hall (instead of the usual idea of interchanges at both Osgoode and Queen or St Andrew and King). I never did like the idea of a single station at this point. I'm probably going to have to make the DRL dip north or south so as to not confuse readers into thinking there will be one-level interchanges at Line 1.

Has anyone given thought about a potential Expo 2025 bid, and the transit such an event may require? I know talk of a potential bid last week fizzled and nobody really cared, nor cared much about the previous discussions regarding hosting this event. But I think it's very possible that we could bid, and could win.

Reason I ask is that I've been mulling if or how a short spur of the DRL could reach the Expo site (which all signs point to being in the Port Lands / Lower Don Lands - south of the Keating Channel between Cherry and Don Rdwy). The existing East Bayfront streetcar plans have deteriorated, and last we heard they may even remove Union Loop so that streetcars on QQW and QQE would become a single cross-waterfront streetcar with no Union connection.

Either way, I and a few others like Drum118 have questioned whether a single streetcar line could handle the future loads of a developed east waterfront and Port Lands (an area equal in size to downtown Toronto, and which may very well become a Canary Wharf-esque CBD of sorts). Average weekday ridership is one thing. But anyone waiting at Union Loop for a streetcar during the summer months knows full well that demand to access the water in summer is ridiculously high. If we're to host a 6mth event for the world, could the East Bayfront streetcar handle that?

I haven't looked at it closely, but one thing that I think may be worth discussing is a Spanish Solution platform at the proposed Sumach station for the relief line on Queen, and a short spur southward. The relief line would operate normally. But let's say 1/5 trains could operate from City Hall station to Sumach, the train would layover on Sumach's third platform, then continue southward (possibly on a single track) to a single station in the Lower Don Lands (possibly around the intersection of Villiers/Munitions). I may make a map to show what I'm talking about.

Heres a map of TTC Rapid Transit Service around 2030. Line 8 is cool because its like a tram-train that runs on go rail corridors, in its own tunnel and in the median of streets, its a short-term alternative to the DRL. I also have a version of the map with GO RER Lines. This is my own thing so I changed some stop names and removed LRT stops I found to be unnessecary.

Attachments

• Proposed TTC Rapid Transit (Phase 2) With RER Lines.png
    Proposed TTC Rapid Transit (Phase 2) With RER Lines.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 444
  • Proposed TTC Rapid Transit (Phase 2).png
    Proposed TTC Rapid Transit (Phase 2).png
    513.8 KB · Views: 590
View attachment 65606

Just shows how screwed the west end is getting. Why am I paying for transit in the east end only again?

Just shows how screwed the west end is getting. Why am I paying for transit in the east end only again?

West End
Existing:
- Bloor-Danforth Subway to western border
- University-Spadina Subway (original western Relief Line)
Future:
- Crosstown West
- Finch West LRT
- Spadina Subway Extension

East End
Existing:
- Scarborough RT
Future:
- Bloor-Danforth Subway to Scarborough Centre
- Crosstown East
- Sheppard LRT
- Relief Line East (not yet approved)

Want to tell us more about how the west end has been screwed?

The west end will always look to be the most screwed until the subway network finally enters Mississauga and reaches Hurontario (be it to Cooksville or Square One).

Want to tell us more about how the west end has been screwed?

Do these people ever consider the fact that the east end is significantly larger and more populated than the west? It shouldn't be that surprising that the east end is getting a somewhat larger share of new transit.

Screen shot 2016-02-03 at 9.33.17 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-03 at 9.33.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-03 at 9.33.17 PM.png
    496.8 KB · Views: 1,257
That being said, it is pretty ridiculous we are building subways to STC when we wouldn't ever think of building them to Square One.

Sometimes I wonder if Scarborough should deamalgamate and form its own municipality.

Okay, so I made a fantasy map that utilizes the current Relief line plan (or what little we know about it from info leaked by the G&M). But added to it a spur to what may very well be the site of an Expo - if we are to bid on it. I'm not wedded to the idea or anything, and I don't even really like the idea of a subway spur in such a locale. But one of the leading reasons I think something like this may be worth discussing is that IMO there are major problems with the existing proposals for waterfront transit (cost, construction time, insufficient capacity, lack of speed, and the craziness of rebuilding Union Loop).

Personally I'd prefer to see the waterfront transit vision reanalyzed, and for 2km of the East Bayfront streetcar between Bay and Cherry to be grade-separated (trenched, tunneled, elevated, etc) so as to quickly serve what may very well be an Expo site and/or a future business district in the Lower Don Lands and Port Lands. But in this map what exists is a shuttle operating from the core, and between Sumach and Broadview South stations uses a single track spur that follows below the (planned but unbuilt) Broadview extension to serve the Lower Don Lands.

DRL-Expo-spur.png

Attachments

• DRL-Expo-spur.png
    DRL-Expo-spur.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,059

Back