News   May 03, 2024
 981     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 598     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 287     0 

VIA Rail

There's already raised platforms for all the VIA platforms at Union for wheelchair accessibility.

Not even close to the same thing.

The wheelchair platforms are raised for about 40 feet in length, and only about 12 inches above the existing platform (which is already about 9" above top of rail).

The raised platforms at Ottawa will be raised to the floor level of the cars - 48" above the top of rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The wheelchair platforms are raised for about 40 feet in length, and only about 12 inches above the existing platform (which is already about 9" above top of rail).
Which would be why I referred to it as "Just the ramp and elevated piece".

It does provide accessibility though. I don't think there's any plans to build elevated platforms at Union - it would conflict with the GO door heights.

Ottawa uses the same absurd airline style boarding system as Union. A massive lineup forms in the station and everyone is granted access to the platforms at the same time. You can't go onto the platform ahead of time.

Whether you like the NCC or not, they kind of have a point - the platforms are mostly exposed to the elements. The station really should have a fully covered platform area, especially if we get VIA's HFR system. That shouldn't be too much to ask for the nation's capital, especially since, based on the rendering, it looks like they're rebuilding the platform shelters anyway.

Last edited:
The logic behind waiting in line at VIA stations is absurd given that all seats on corridor trains are now assigned. There's no real point waiting in line instead of just sitting in the waiting area, except that VIA has become much more strict about weighing carry-on baggage and enforcing their limits.

Actually, that might not be necessary. As someone quite astutely suggested to me, th reason why they're moving ahead with level boarding in Ottawa might have a lot to do with the HFR routing: Since all Toronto-Montreal trains would also pass through Ottawa, there'll be a need to make boarding times much faster and reduce dwell times. It's not as much of an issue in Toronto, since it's at the end of the line, though I strongly suspect that we'll know in advance which stations will be getting HFR service by looking at which ones are set to get level boarding.

With faster boarding in mind, I actually think that the NCC board member is right, but perhaps not for the reasons he cited. Passenger comfort is important, but from a time-saving perspective, it would make a lot of sense to have heated platforms which people can wait on to further decrease dwell times.
You are right, as a European (German) citizen it always bewildered me how a VIA train which arrived Ottawa, say, 18 minutes late would also leave the station with the same delay as it takes every single of the 15 scheduled minutes to have all entraining passengers reach the station hall and to then have all boarding passengers board their train...

The raised platforms at Ottawa will be raised to the floor level of the cars - 48" above the top of rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The wheelchair platforms are a feature of any GO station and customized to GO's trains and needs. They therefore can't and consequently aren't used by any VIA train. Passengers in wheelchairs are only boarded and entrained using VIA's own movable platform lifts or other company-owned equipment...

The logic behind waiting in line at VIA stations is absurd given that all seats on corridor trains are now assigned. There's no real point waiting in line instead of just sitting in the waiting area, except that VIA has become much more strict about weighing carry-on baggage and enforcing their limits.
Noone forces passengers to queue in line 30 minutes before boarding starts. However, it allows ticket checks which in return speeds up the actual boarding...

Noone forces passengers to queue in line 30 minutes before boarding starts. However, it allows ticket checks which in return speeds up the actual boarding...

Actually VIA checks tickets on-board, a few minutes after departure. They do not check them on the platform at the entrance to the train car; they do seem to scan them once down in the concourse at the escalator up to the platform, but it appears to serve no real purpose as the actual check is on-board.

Which would be why I referred to it as "Just the ramp and elevated piece".

In the case of the GO platforms, sure. But that's certainly not what is being done in Ottawa.

It does provide accessibility though.

To GO trains, yeah. But not to the VIA trains. Unless the platform is at the same height as the floor, there is a need for a mobile wheelchair lift to allow access to the cars.

I don't think there's any plans to build elevated platforms at Union - it would conflict with the GO door heights.

There are plans - or at least very preliminary ideas and discussions. Certainly nothing concrete as yet, although the discussions are ongoing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To GO trains, yeah. But not to the VIA trains. Unless the platform is at the same height as the floor, there is a need for a mobile wheelchair lift to allow access to the cars.
I thought VIA was using a wooden ramp for wheelchairs ... perhaps I'm wrong.

There are plans - or at least very preliminary ideas and discussions. Certainly nothing concrete as yet, although the discussions are ongoing.
This is going to be interesting ...

I thought VIA was using a wooden ramp for wheelchairs ... perhaps I'm wrong.

Nope, and never have. The size of such a ramp would be pretty massive, to boot - it wouldn't be very mobile, if at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm not familiar with Union operations/capacity, but with the VIA HFR proposal I'd think it would be a no-brainer to have at least 2 dedicated VIA tracks (1 platform, tracks on each side) that have elevated platforms. It would greatly improve the passenger experience.

Also, if the VIA HFR proposal takes the Peterborough/Havelock routing, any new stations that VIA would build, such as at Peterborough, could be elevated as well, making the entire line elevated and more accessible.

Actually VIA checks tickets on-board, a few minutes after departure. They do not check them on the platform at the entrance to the train car; they do seem to scan them once down in the concourse at the escalator up to the platform, but it appears to serve no real purpose as the actual check is on-board.

I'm pretty sure the pre-escalator scan is for security purposes only (don't allow folks without tickets to drop a bag onboard and run kind of thing). I've seen them doing spot checks at platform level prior to boarding the train on a few occasions too.

The #1 job for this staff person seems to be escalator safety control though. People do some pretty fucked up things with their luggage going up those things; things I've never seen anyone do at airports.

Many larger European HSR stations have had faregates (and metal detectors/xray machines) retrofitted into them.

Last edited:
Many larger European HSR stations have had faregates (and metal detectors/xray machines) retrofitted into them.
Apart from Eurostar's own terminals, what "larger European HSR stations" are we talking about? I completed a few InterRail trips across Europe by now and the only time I saw any was when taking the Eurostar...

Apart from Eurostar's own terminals, what "larger European HSR stations" are we talking about? I completed a few InterRail trips across Europe by now and the only time I saw any was when taking the Eurostar...

Just came back from Spain. Our bags were screened at the mezzanine level prior to being let down to the platform level in Cordoba, and prior to enterring the station at my transfer point in Antequerra.

Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Moscow, and St. Petersburg are locations I've seen first hand in addition to the London Eurostar terminal you mentioned.

I think I've only taken about 10 HSR trains within Europe, so for 6 of them to do a baggage X-Ray is fairly high percentage.

Last edited:

Back