News   Apr 19, 2024
 525     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 608     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

VIA Rail

I love VIA compared to flying within TOM as much as the next person, but that's not quite accurate. I travelled Via from Toronto to Ottawa and back at the end of December 2015--I have an iPhone 6 Plus on Rogers and I got LTE only about 80% of the time (at much lower speeds than when in a city+relatively stationary, of course; maybe about 20% the speed on average), and about 5% of the time there was either no signal...
I'll have to watch like a hawk next time.

FYI .... iPhone 6 Plus doesn't have Band 12 LTE 700Mhz, even though your phone already accesses other 700Mhz bands.

Rogers just introduced this band a few months ago. For that, you need iPhone 6S or 6S plus.

There are many 700Mhz LTE bands, and Band 12 is one of many that Rogers owns. Rogers uses Band 12 in Southern Ontario, so you will from time to time, get better data reception with a 6S than a 6 in rural areas. If you are a frequent commuter, and hate data dropouts, then you want all the 700Mhz range that Rogers/Bell supports. LTE bands are like radio stations, but for high speed data. Your phone automatically finds multiple bands and connects over them. Metaphorically... for those not familiar with LTE "bands" -- metaphorically it's like "radio stations" (700Mhz refers to a bunch of frequencies that may actually be closer to 690Mhz 700Mhz 710Mhz 720Mz etc) for high speed Internet that your smartphone automatically tunes to. Imagine the iPhone being able to tune to only 88 FM through 100 FM but not 108 FM -- figuratively speaking of course. Meaning you'd lose all Internet reception if the Internet was being "broadcast" on the LTE's equivalent of 108 FM instead of 88 FM or 100 FM -- metaphorically speaking. Now you understand what "LTE bands" are!

When I upgraded my phone, I noticed I no longer get data dropouts on Lakeshore West, even through the very spotty Mimico-LongBranch-PortCredit sections! So frustrated commuters wanting nonstop data on Lakeshore West GO, definitely upgrade your phone to one that supports ALL the 700Mhz bands that your carrier is using. It really, really, makes a difference.

For VIA Ottawa-Toronto, 5% data dropouts was my experience in the past, but it seems to have mostly closed up now -- maybe a few dropouts of a couple minutes -- I'll have to watch like a hawk next time and see if there's still data dropouts on the latest phones supporting all 700Mhz bands that Rogers is using. But gaps (if any) are most certainly continuing to shrink.

Perhaps not done yet for the the VIA WiFi, though, as newer phones may now do better than the 3G/LTE backhaul on the VIA WiFi.

That said, if you leave the phone on the tray instead of below windowsill level (e.g.pocket, coat pocket, bag under the seat) or far above window top (e.g. overhead bin). The reception seems to be far more solid if the phone is stored somewhere near window height, like sitting on the tray. The underseat is a reception black hole. So is keeping your phone near your butt (coat pocket), also a reception black hole too. If I am sleeping and the iPhone is hiding away there, it's often a bar or two lower in there, so if it was already one or two bars, it'll almost definitely dropout if your phone is being stored well below window level...and then take a few minutes to finally rediscover reception even though it's often already there (at about two bars or so) -- basically it takes much longer to search for 1-bar or 2-bar reception than 5-bar reception. Metaphorically it's like radio station automatic tuning that has difficulty and ignores weak radio stations. So the reception holes will get smaller or disappear if you don't have the phone stowed away deep in your bag or pressed against anything metallic (in pocket pressed against seatrest or side of train, depending on where you are sitting).

Last edited:
Anyone know what these are called? I've seen them from the train before at private crossings.

4svZlD4.jpg

I actually wish VIA would drop service to Niagara Falls and simply make that part of the Lakeshore line with GO. Would do a lot for commuters and tourism. Admittedly, maybe the business case is weak. But it would be nice to b see cheaper, more regular rail service to Niagara.

I actually wish VIA would drop service to Niagara Falls and simply make that part of the Lakeshore line with GO. Would do a lot for commuters and tourism. Admittedly, maybe the business case is weak. But it would be nice to b see cheaper, more regular rail service to Niagara.

I thought only the Amtrak trains ran to Niagara Falls? For that train, it serves as a crew change point as American crews can't (or don't) run to Union and Canadian crews can't run to New York.

I thought only the Amtrak trains ran to Niagara Falls? For that train, it serves as a crew change point as American crews can't (or don't) run to Union and Canadian crews can't run to New York.

Wrong vocab. I meant to say avoid Niagara as a destination. Just leave that whole corridor to GO.

Wrong vocab. I meant to say avoid Niagara as a destination. Just leave that whole corridor to GO.

I guess the advantage of having both GO and VIA/Amtrak in the Niagara corridor is that VIA/Amtrak could provide reverse peak service. The current GO "plan" calls for 7 trains from St. Catharines (2 originating in Niagara Falls) operating in peak direction. If I am correct, the current VIA/Amtrak service leaves Union Station in the AM for the US, and returns at night. Also with the current GO "plan", trains would terminate at West Harbour GO, with a transfer to the Lakeshore West Line. A continued VIA/Amtrak service could provide a one-seat ride, and a "premium" option for travellers wanting a more comfortable ride.

It's a VIA service, operated by VIA crews, that happens to be run with Amtrak equipment. Same situation as the old "International" between Toronto and Sarnia - and thence onto Chicago.

There have been situations in the past where the Amtrak equipment wasn't available for whatever reason, and so VIA equipment was used instead.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I agree that that corridor should probably be left to GO. When booking a VIA trip, their website already incorporates GO train trips into the itinerary, when your starting point isn't a frequently served VIA stop. For example, if you put in from Aldershot to Ottawa, it will show you both GO and VIA trips from Aldershot to Union, and then VIA only trips from Union to Ottawa.

It's quite possible that the AD2W Niagara trips will run semi-express after Aldershot anyway, so they would be almost as fast as VIA over that same stretch, and definitely more frequent.

I think the best thing for both sides of the border would be to truncate Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls ON *but* to extend the other Niagara Falls NY Empire Service trains there too. With complementing GO service and suitable customs arrangements at Niagara Falls, Toronto/GTA could have 3 round trips by rail to NYC, not one.

Edit: of course Greg Gormick likes this. *shakes head*

Niagara Falls NY has committed a fair sum of money to upgrade its passenger depot. There has to be a way to leverage this to improve the connections into New York State.

http://www.wnypapers.com/news/artic...w-niagara-falls-train-station-coming-your-way

Was just about to mention this myself. If we are running more service along the Niagara Corridor, we absolutely must contact the Americans about adding a proper customs facility to their new station. Not connecting the Niagara services to the Empire services would be a massive missed opportunity as the United States is a significant potential source of ridership.

Furthermore, providing more local service along the corridor could help us drop some stops on the Toronto-NYC Amtrak Maple Leaf, making it less of a slog. We could ditch Grimsby for starters, and potentially other stops as well if there are GO train timed for convenient transfer to/from Amtrak at Niagara Falls. And regardless of any physical changes, Amtrak could drop a bunch of local stations in New York given they're served by the Empire regional service anyway: Rome, Utica, Amsterdam, Hudson, Rhinecliff-Kingston and Poughkeepsie.

Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 20.42.55.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 20.42.55.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 20.42.55.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
If the customs facility is at the Ontario side, it means everything happens at one station. I don't think there is anywhere CBSA operates pre clearance in the US, is there?

Considering that the US and Canadian stations are within sight of each other....with border services offices built into the bridge itself.....you'd think they could make the crossing much more efficient.

- Paul

I always thought that an upgraded rail service to Niagara could be done in place of the mid-peninsula highway. Even with a new rail bridge over the Welland Canal, it would still be cheaper than the new highway. The QEW is constantly congested so there would be plenty of ridership. A better connection to the Amtrak line makes a lot of sense too.

Back