News   May 03, 2024
 703     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 453     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 233     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Well then why the TTC staff didn't quit already? Maybe they got a fantastic job that they can't replace with a private sector one already.
And there are plenty of private sector job with similar or worse conditions which I would hardly call bad.
You talk as if quitting a job is SO easy. It seems you've never had to actually contemplate quitting a job before.

Well then why the TTC staff didn't quit already? Maybe they got a fantastic job that they can't replace with a private sector one already.

And how do you know they didn't quit?

The TTC, or any organization, would have a very tough time retaining top talent in those working conditions. It would't take very much for the best and brightest of their employees to find employment elsewhere. The TTC can find someone to replace them, but the quality of that employee certainly wouldn't be as good as the one they're replacing. Treating employees like this is exactly how once great companies lose their greatest talent, ultimately leading to poorer performance for the company in general.

A lot of firms private sector go to extraordinary lengths to accommodate their employees because of this.

And there are plenty of private sector job with similar or worse conditions which I would hardly call bad.

I have never seen office conditions that horrible. I'm sure that somewhere in Toronto, some office workers have even worse conditions. But do we really want to have the employees of Toronto's most important agency working in the worst possible conditions? Actually, I'm sure some people probably do want that.

Last edited:

The TTC, or any organization, would have a very tough time retaining top talent in those working conditions. It would't take very much for the best and brightest of their employees to find employment elsewhere. The TTC can find someone to replace them, but the quality of that employee certainly wouldn't be as good as the one they're replacing. Treating employees like this is exactly how once great companies lose their greatest talent, ultimately leading to poorer performance for the company in general.

A lot of firms private sector go to extraordinary lengths to accommodate their employees because of this.

That's very true in the tech sector but is it true for this sector?

The TTC system map still hasn't been updated with the new night buses. When is that going to change?

Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 2.34.13 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 2.34.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 2.34.13 PM.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 490
That's very true in the tech sector but is it true for this sector?

It would depend on the positions their hiring for, and how much demand there is for the job. I'd expect the TTC to hire a wide range of staff for their operations in their offices (HR, transportation engineers, civil engineers, mechanics, managers, software engineers, web developers, customer service, public relations, IT, lawyers etc...). Each of these fields have different levels of demand, affecting how hard it would be for them to retain talent.

Across all job categories the shitty working conditions would obviously make it more difficult for them to retain talent. I know with their tech jobs in particular it would be a challenge for the TTC to retain talent. I'm sure this is true for many other of their positions as well.

They may give the employees incentives to stay on. Including pay. Want to pay employees less? Get better working conditions.

Reactions: PL1
https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/668955472574181376

More good news for those who have been asking: Early weeknight subway closures north of Eglinton will conclude Dec 18/19. #TTC
Yes, the last day of the turnback being December 18th was on Steve Munro's website in October. http://stevemunro.ca/2015/10/30/ttc-service-changes-effective-november-22-and-december-20-2015/

So how long were those early closures up for?
Looks like February 2009 - at which time it was supposed to go for less than 2 years. https://www.ttc.ca/News/2009/February/Early_closure_of_TTC_subway_line.jsp

It's a good job that subways last 100 years!

The TTC is proposing two new routes and some major changes to the 72 and 172. The 172 would return to its Union Station routing and would serve the East Bayfront. A new bus route, 121, would serve CityPlace and the Esplanade via Union. And a new streetcar route, the 514 Cherry, would overlap with the central part of the 504 to improve service on King between Liberty Village and the West Don Lands.

9476c351-6b52-4426-af6b-0c3af73e93f6.png

Info via survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TTCpape

The 514 king service will be interesting.. And if it ends at the dufferin loop, it means we may see it stop along dufferin? We may get more in service track than originally pictured out of this!

Back