News   Apr 24, 2024
 532     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 724     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 523     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC voted on Monday to cancel the funding for the 501 streetcar improvements. Unless staff ignore it and just take the money from elsewhere ... which apparently they implied they might do.

Acting on Mayor John Tory's orders for a 2% budget reduction for the TTC? If so, the blame is with Mayor Tory.

TTC voted on Monday to cancel the funding for the 501 streetcar improvements. Unless staff ignore it and just take the money from elsewhere ... which apparently they implied they might do.
I didnt know that's what you were referring to. Well in that case, i'll just enjoy for temporary bustitutions for the next couple of weeks. I knew it would turn out to be a case of being to good to be true.

there are that few left? Even a year ago the high floor ones seemed to be everywhere still.
Depends where you ride. I've only ridden a couple of non low-floor vehicles in the last decade. One on 195 and one on the Spadina bustitution. They just never showed up on the routes I rode every day. Ignoring the couple of occasions I got a surprise fishbowl.

Are you using the correct term? The current "low-floor" buses are not 100%, there are steps in the back.
Low-floor buses are buses that do not have any steps to enter or exit the vehicle. But you're right per se, as they are not truly 100% low floor. The retired Orion VI is a better example of that.

It's a little sad that this is the end of an era, as high floor buses can accommodate more passengers than low floor ones. But with the AODA in place and the lack of manufacturers who actually construct high floor buses, it was inevitable.

I remember when there were rear-windows on all the buses. Now none of the current buses have windows in the rear. Can't look out the back.

Maybe some bus manufacturer will install a wide-screen television on the blank rear wall, displaying the view using a rear-facing camera. Except that they'll probably add commercials.

Maybe some bus manufacturer will install a wide-screen television on the blank rear wall, displaying the view using a rear-facing camera. Except that they'll probably add commercials.
Other agencies have windows in the back of the same Nova models that the TTC doesn't. Presumably TTC doesn't want them. Unfortunate - it's always nice to see the bus behind you, you want to change to.

And feels a lot more human!

Anyone know why trains ran express through St. Andrew at rush hour last night? No announcements. No explanations. No TTC Alerts. Trains just kept passing straight through. Station was not closed. Booth guy had no idea.

Back