News   May 17, 2024
 2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: Streetcar, Bus and Wheel-Trans Operations & Maintenance

Even at 264 cars, yards shouldn't be that rammed. Some will be in the shops. And even in the middle of the night, there's a minimum of 14 in service. And yes, there's always Hillcrest.

There has never been a plan to close any of the current yards. We've ordered 204 new streetcars (with the TTC wanting another 60 to reach 264). Only about 100 will be at Leslie Barns. There'll be about 50 each at both Russell (on Queen East) and Roncesvalles yards. The ultimate capacity with the 3 yards is only 264 cars.
Thanks Nfitz, I mistakenly believed the new Leslie barn was to replace the nearby Queen St. barn. I can understand why you'd need the Roncesvalles yard to cover the west end, but could they not have made the Leslie St. barn larger to close down the Queen St. one?

Thanks Nfitz, I mistakenly believed the new Leslie barn was to replace the nearby Queen St. barn. I can understand why you'd need the Roncesvalles yard to cover the west end, but could they not have made the Leslie St. barn larger to close down the Queen St. one?

There would be way too much of a choke point with all those cars trying to get up Leslie St to go out to all the routes in the morning. It's going to be very busy as it is on Leslie. From Russell, streetcars can go out onto Queen St a couple of different ways so they don't all have to go out from Connaught Ave. Same thing coming back in. .

With Leslie ideally placed, I wonder if a ROW down the middle of Lake Shore would be considered in future, perhaps linking with the QQ ROW.

With the Portlands redevelopment and the East Bayfront LRT, I think a Lake Shore East ROW is a possibility. However, consider that plan endorsed by Waterfront Toronto has the ROW a few hundred meters south of Lake Shore, on Commissioners Street. It's my belief that the Commissioners alignment is superior, as it would provide direct access to the redeveloped Portlands, whereas the Lake Shore alignment would require pedestrians to cross a bridge.

Here's a conceptual drawing of Commissioners, looking east to Ashbridges Bay:

20120809portlands-Commissioners-Street-at-Don-Roadway-view-east-towards-Ashbridges-Bay-640x315.jpg

And a map:

20120809portlands-Lower-Don-Lands-Framework-Plan.jpg

With the Portlands redevelopment and the East Bayfront LRT, I think a Lake Shore East ROW is a possibility. However, consider that plan endorsed by Waterfront Toronto has the ROW a few hundred meters south of Lake Shore, on Commissioners Street. It's my belief that the Commissioners alignment is superior, as it would provide direct access to the redeveloped Portlands, whereas the Lake Shore alignment would require pedestrians to cross a bridge.

Here's a conceptual drawing of Commissioners, looking east to Ashbridges Bay:

20120809portlands-Commissioners-Street-at-Don-Roadway-view-east-towards-Ashbridges-Bay-640x315.jpg

Ha ha, this makes me think that Flexity deliveries will continue to be so achingly slow that they'll be running CLRVs on Commissioners!

Under the 2004/06 Portland Master Transit Plan, the Lake Shore line existed as well the Unwin line. TTC removed the Lake Shore line when the master plan was broken down into 3 EA plans after the province request the 3 plans after all EA approvals were in place. Unwin was removed this year under the revise transportation plan by the city as it was 40 years out.

When Commissioner line get built along with the new Cherry St South line as well the Queens Quay E line, TTC will have a fast route to get cars to/from Leslie Yard than the current route.

Lake Shore line was to be more of an express line with very few stops on it from Woodbine & Queen to west of York St using duel end cars. This was 2004-06 thinking then as well for all the waterfront lines.

CLRV's will not be running on Commissioner line since that is at least 15-20 years out at this time.

With TTC now going to run cars on lines overnight that currently don't see them, will help the lines during the winter months to keep the tracks in better condition as well the overhead so they no down time at start of daily service like the past.

I think a lot of conceptual art exits with CLRVs instead as at the time they were done, the new ones were still being thought of.

Yes, since they didn't have anything else Toronto-specific to work with. I was playing on the slow delivery rate of Flexity cars that might make CLRVs be around that long. The Flexities might even be retired by the time that gets built.

Three of our streetcars collided at Queen and River early this morning:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...-collide-at-queen-and-river-sts.html?referrer

Apparently a streetcar lost power, disabling its brakes and causing it to roll back into the streetcar behind it. That streetcar then rolled into the third streetcar in the line.

The streetcars have emergency brakes, but apparently it failed.

The bathroom is for emergency breaks. Brakes!

This isn't the first time for something like this. In 1990, a CLRV stalled out westbound on College just west of Lansdowne - it rolled back down the hill and broadsided a Lansdowne trolley bus. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the trolley bus was a write-off.

Back