Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The whole point of UPX was supposed to be reliability and getting there in 25 min..
Definitely more problematic for travellers going to the other way. If there's a subway problem, you just get out at the next station and take a cab. If you're stuck on the train, you're stuck on the train until it moves again.

Their refund policy is pretty poor. The service delay has to be 45 minutes or greater to get a refund. That probably means you've missed your flight! Compare that to GO Transit's service guarantee of 15 minutes.
https://www.upexpress.com/AboutUP/TermsAndConditions

From a few hours ago:

DSC02372.jpg
DSC02373.jpg
DSC02374.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02372.jpg
    DSC02372.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 926
  • DSC02373.jpg
    DSC02373.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 946
  • DSC02374.jpg
    DSC02374.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 827
So I see -- Balzac's stays open really late.
I'll remember that next time I'm catching a late-night Lakeshore GO train.

Balzac's is very easy to access via Platform 3, much quicker to get coffee here if you're loitering in the York concourse instead of Bay concourse.

Soooooooooooo…

I finally got the 20-minute version of our Union to Pearson test run video up, mostly from the driver's cab. Have fun!

Looks like the calls for clearer signage and wayfinding are being heard by UPX:

NuWwqi3.jpg

Sean Marshall @Sean_YYZ
Another useless sign showing a brand name/logo. Say “Trains to Pearson International Airport!” Show a plane icon!
https://twitter.com/Sean_YYZ/status/617891100481691648

Anne Marie Aikins @femwriter
@Sean_YYZ Feedback passed on. New signage at stations happening as we tweet

Wayfinding on movable poles is probably a good idea in a construction site. That said, it's still missing something that suggests it is an airport train. "Pearson", "Airport", or the airplane logo, is still missing.

It is idiotic to have a sign like that. No one cares about the brand name, they just want to find the train.

Should the signs directing people to limos & taxi's instead say "To Beck, Aerofleet, & AirFlight"? No, because that wouldn't be helpful at all.

I'm willing to bet the branding agency behind UPX deals almost exclusively with consumer goods and services, how else could you come up with "UP Express?"

"Pearson Express + Airplane logo." That's all you need.

Maybe we should photoshop a few example logos for UP to try. e.g. a diagonal airplane logo superimposed on top of the upper-left corner part of the "U" of "UP".

When I was complaining some weeks ago about these useless signs over the place which are utterly confusing someone was telling it's irrelevant because most people coming to take the trains would have already researched about the train and the name. I guess that must be why so many are complaining? That must also be why Metrolinx's own data shows that the biggest complaints are that people can't find where the stations. These utterly useless signs are confusing people. The whole of Union Station is a confusing mess with the signs. It's a big shame.

I'm willing to bet the branding agency behind UPX deals almost exclusively with consumer goods and services, how else could you come up with "UP Express?"

"Pearson Express + Airplane logo." That's all you need.
I had a hilarious experience last week. I was in the Monocle Store, you know the store that sells the $140 candles and other similarly overpriced items. Somehow it came up that their marketing agency had done all the branding for the UP Express. They were certain that therefore it must be amazing. I didn't have the heart to tell the snooty clerk that no one could find the train.

I had a hilarious experience last week. I was in the Monocle Store, you know the store that sells the $140 candles and other similarly overpriced items. Somehow it came up that their marketing agency had done all the branding for the UP Express. They were certain that therefore it must be amazing. I didn't have the heart to tell the snooty clerk that no one could find the train.

The transit agencies in Toronto from TTC to Metrolinx are more concerned with branding than providing good wayfinding to help people get around.

Back