News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The issue regarding sidewalks is a valid critique (and thus I am not sure there is a need for smart-ass quips and replies).

I've found the sidewalks fine along Yonge. I'm sure once the building is finished they'll be fine along Dundas too.

Try walking north of Bloor on Yonge on the west side.

All around 18 Yorkville it looks like some 4th grader filled in the gaps with his playdoh concrete set.

Real classy.

If the city's not going to finish the job in Yorkville, what makes you think they'll do it in Dumpy Dundas Square?

they can close sidewalks for two to three days can't they...

thats all it takes really...

I was checkin' out this building over the weekend. And I was amazed at how bright the lights were, especially from St. Patrick / University Area.

Adelaide and Yonge its quite noticable too.

This billboard is overpowering the other ads in "the square"

The sidewalk north of here all the way to Gerrard is a delicious mix of cracked cement and ashphalt. I think this is the sidewalk he's talking about.

Yeah, and by delicious mix you happen to mean ankle breaking mess then I'd tend to agree with you. I'd also replace it with 'hazardous', or 'unsightly,' or 'embarrassing'. And this comes from a guy who, generally speaking, likes this development. I understand that the city has limited (read: no) money but if they continue to employ patchwork measures to beautiful the city they might as well cut every tree down while they're at it - has the same effect.

And for good measure: oh no, we drew Judge Schnieder. Yeah, I accidentally ran over his dog. But replace accidentally with 'repeatedly' and dog with 'son'.

The sidewalk north of here all the way to Gerrard is a delicious mix of cracked cement and ashphalt. I think this is the sidewalk he's talking about.

Precisely Ed. I can't count how many times I stubbed my toe on uneven and cracked pavement...and I hadn't even had a drink yet! There is also this bizarre sort of asphalt filler running in strips down the sidewalks. You kind of sink into it as you walk. Not pretty.

The sidewalk further south, in front of Maritime Life was very nice. I'm assuming it was Maritime Life who footed the bill for that?

They were obviously doing some underground work on the stretch north starting at HMV as the ashphalt is about a foot wide and it extends in a wobbly line to Gerrard at least.

Yonge St. Sidewalk

First, a quick correction......

The black lines running horizontally or perpendicular across the sidwalk at even increments are not asphalt.

They are, in fact, granite. Chosen by Brown & Storey (the architechts of Dundas Square) to match the square and create a sense on continuity in the area streetscape.

That said, there is a whole lot of pavement added to the current sidewalks, which are less than five years old.....(sigh)

The recent work, according the construction worker on side was to allow for the future installation of pedestrian-scale lighting.

For the life of me, if that's the case, I can't see where there's enough room.

But I wonder if he was mistaken, and big mess was all made for the new poles at the Gould/Yonge intersection, since I don't see any of the 'plugs' in the sidewalks that you would need for new decorative lighting.

What Yonge really needs here, is to be narrowed to 2 lanes, so the sidewalks can be widened and trees added, in decent sized trenches.

The black lines running horizontally or perpendicular across the sidwalk at even increments are not asphalt.

They are, in fact, granite. Chosen by Brown & Storey (the architechts of Dundas Square) to match the square and create a sense on continuity in the area streetscape.

I wasn't commenting about the sidwalk in front of TLS. I know that it will contain some stone.

DSC_0853.jpg

I was talking about this. It starts at HMV and leads all the way to Gerrard. It is asphalt and so very attractive at that. Let's hope they are planning to redo this sidewalk sometime soon.

They are, in fact, granite. ****

What Yonge really needs here, is to be narrowed to 2 lanes, so the sidewalks can be widened and trees added, in decent sized trenches.

Nothing wrong with the granite but there is something wrong with the asphalt that exists in places where they've dug up either concrete or granite and replaced it with a mound of asphalt. It is dirty and dangerous. The granite motif is actually pretty nice -- and I'm still disapointed that it isn't being carried over to Dundas east.

As for your second point about narrowing Yonge, I agree. I think Yonge from College to Queens Quay should be narrowed and enhanced with a tree line. The sections from Gerrard south should have wide side walks and the section from College-to Gerrard should be left as-is and the right lanes used as is. And if it proves to be a success duplicate the effort south of the Church/Yonge intersection.

oh the business would whine so loud. I can hear them already.

Oh ya, especially those who rely on mid day delivery trucks to drop stuff off and block the right lane of Yonge. You know the businesses I'm talking about, ie all of them. But still, as a car-hater and avid roamer of downtown streets, I'd rather be able to walk past the slow pokes and the fat ones while laughing at the drivers stuck in traffic behind a truck unloading blow-up dolls and x-rated DVDs for the stag shop then endure what we have now. But I digress...

Back