Another of the early elements in Toronto's long-anticipated North St. James Town redevelopment plan has begun on Howard Street near Bloor and Sherbourne. 76 Howard Street—a two and a half storey brick house originally built in 1887 for William Whitehead—is in the process of being relocated by Laurie McCulloch Building Moving from its original site to a new location a short distance to the west at 30 Howard Street.
The home is a prime example of 19th century residential architecture in Toronto, exhibiting the distinctive bay and gable-style found throughout the city. Previously targeted for demolition in the original North St. James Town redevelopment plan, the property is now listed in the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties under the Ontario Heritage Act, and is being spared from demolition.
76 Howard's new location at the currently vacant site at 30 Howard Street has new foundation walls waiting for the building. In an interesting twist, this site once served as the previous home of William Whitehead at the same time he was having 76 Howard Street constructed a short distance to the east.
76 Howard's relocation clears the way for a future mixed-use redevelopment still in the planning stages at Bloor and Parliament Streets, set to include residential two towers with retail at grade.
We will return with additional news as planning for the St. James Town North redevelopment progresses. in the meantime, you can review renderings and project facts by visiting the associated dataBase file, linked below. Want to get involved in the discussion? Check out the linked Forum threads, or leave a comment using the field provided at the bottom of this page.
|Related Companies:||Concert Properties, IBI Group, Janet Rosenberg + Studio|