Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

I don’t think so, since Menkes is highly involved in funding this park.
I assume that their involvement is through Section 37 funds. Though these are ear-marked for the park it is certainly possible that 'the government' may allow them (and other such funds) to be redirected. I certainly hope not and this is actually a great time to go full steam ahead on civic improvements but we DO live in DOFOs Ontario and John Tory's Toronto. The detailed planning for this project is almost complete (I think) so getting shovels in the ground would seem to be something that could happen quite fast.

Thanks for the reassurance. If most of this is being funded by private money that’s already been paid, maybe it’s safe after all.

I’ve been thinking about my favourite projects that might be in trouble from a city with an unexpected massive budget hole and the waterfront seems like the top of the list for cuts.

You have given me reason to be concerned with the Eglinton Connects improvements though. Everything about how we prioritize investment in the public sphere in Toronto makes me extremely anxious about what cost-savings will be "found" on Eglinton.

Developers would sue the City if any funds secured through Section 37 or 42 agreements were redirected to general funds. They'll want the money they've given the City spent on what the City determined in the agreements. Those are binding legal documents.

The park is an estimated $15.04 million and of that $12.71 is already secured. The remaining amount should be approved tomorrow. We finally got some estimated dates for the project which I have been looking for. The design is very close to being fully complete. In July there is an Issue for Tender Drawings followed by start of construction in November 2020. The park is still expected to open 2022 (most likely in July)

This from meeting on 28 may.

Purpose For Committee Approval Areas of note/ Key issues The purpose of this work is to complete the Environmental Remediation and Construction of York Street Park. York Street Park, located at the north-east corner of York Street and Queens Quay is the site of the former York, Bay, Yonge off-ramp and will be transformed into an approximately 8000m2 new park. This project was subject of an international design competition that was completed in 2018, since then WT has advanced the detailed design which is now approaching 90% design. It is anticipated that construction will commence this fall for grand opening July 2022. York Street Park is a $15.04 million project inclusive of Environmental Remediation and Park Construction, it is fully funded by the City of Toronto Parks Forestry and Recreation. The first portion ($12.71million) of this funding has been secured via a Delivery Agreement with the City, the remaining $2.33million is pending an amendment to this agreement. Resolution and Next Steps The Committee will be required to pass the following resolution: WHEREAS the Corporation is the Project Delivery Agent for the York Street Park Design and Construction (the “Project”) on behalf of City of Toronto (the “City”); WHEREAS the Project was approved as part of the 2020/21-2024/25 Rolling Five-Year Strategic Plan with a planned expenditure totaling $12.71 Million; ON MOTION duly made, seconded and carried, be it RESOLVED that the Finance, Audit and Risk Management Committee hereby approves, for recommendation to the Board of Directors, as follows: a) the proposed capital investment in the Project of $15.04 Million, which represents an additional $2.33 Million from that which was previously approved as part of the 2020/21-2024/25 Rolling FiveYear Strategic Plan SUBJECT TO execution of an amended Delivery Agreement with the City in form and substance satisfactory to Management; and b) Management’s recommendation that the Project be tendered using the General Contractor – Lump Sum Tender method due to cost certainty, overall cost and schedule compliance. Request for Prequalification for Construction are expected to be released following Finance and Risk Management Committee Approval. Construction will commence in Fall 2020

More details at p 137 of https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...&CACHEID=471b1f44-b544-4fa2-8df9-36f149f80221

No news here, except this is moving forward, as outlined in @DSC 's post above, now at the Board Level.

See p. 5 of the CEO's report from the upcoming WT Board Mtg. on June 25, 2020

Just thought I'd note here, that I went back and looked at an older post of mine here that said the project was do-able, if tight at just over 12M subject to remediation costs.

Its nice, now and again, to confirm I can do math. :)

Last edited:
On WT website:

Request for Proposals (RFP) #2020-19: York Street Park (Love Park) - General Contractor​

(01/2021)

This Request for Proposals (the “RFP”) is an invitation by Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation (“Waterfront Toronto") to prospective firms to submit proposals for the construction of York Street Park, as further described in the RFP Documents. To view this opportunity, please visit Waterfront Toronto's Bonfire Portal website at https://waterfrontoronto.bonfirehub.ca.

Just a reminder for new members of the draft Claude Cormier design (not sure if this is still current).

Draft Design-Claude-Cormier.jpg

WaterfrontToronto Source

screen-shot-2019-07-26-at-4-11-23-pm-png.196449

ADRM

Shot from 2019 of the site after the York off-ramp was removed.
2aa60542-fb76-466f-bf9a-110691dc4d9f-jpeg.169827

Toron

The amount of proposal/wedding pics that will be taken here is going to be insane.

Another reason not to be that keen on this kitsch.

I have faith in Cormier to ensure a quality material palate and good execution.

But I really find the overt theming here just a bit more.........than I can handle.

Too bad, most of the elements I find solid.

Fix the name, nix the heart shape and other overkill and I'm totally there.

Back