Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

What else was cut, besides that levitating heart over the pond?
The trellis at one point was meant to potentially house a small cafe. Also in the earlier designs there wasn't raised seating along the perimeter, with the concept of skating or other winter programming within the pond.

More recent cut would be lining the pond with rocks. The final design had rocks covering the entire base, but this was reduced to just the perimeter more than likely due to costs.

The pond was originally designed to have water year round, with different water levels for summer and winter. I feel like this one's a real shame, especially with the sad looking rock lining only on the periphery being fully exposed in the winter.

Either way, it's great to see it filled again!

I suspect that the costs would mostly be associated with servicing (do they have power where they need it, and if not, would they need to dig up the park to get it there?) plus the masts that the heart would be suspended between (installation would mean digging holes and pouring concrete for the foundations). Plus ongoing maintenance costs that the city would have to agree to.

Last edited by a moderator:
A suspended heart would be a bit too on-the-nose I think, like the pond itself is already a heart, we get it. Could be a safety hazard too with the winds we get.

The suspended heart was one of my favourite aspects of the project tbh. It's already called Love Park with a giant red heart pond in the middle... so I don't think anyone is worried about it being too on-the-nose.

I love the park but unfortunately it isn’t perfect. The fact the city is freezing cold for half of the year and there’s nothing to do in the park during those months is a huge flaw.
This desperately had to be an ice skating rink that can be a year-round attraction even in the winter. This is the biggest wasted opportunity I’ve seen in any new park in recent history. I visit the park every week and as soon as the pond is emptied the park dies. Winter is so long and all we have is an empty concrete heart surrounded by more stone and concrete. Convert this into a skating rink or come up with a winter programming that makes use of this in the winter.

Back