News   Apr 25, 2024
 114     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Construction crews are digging up Yonge around RHC - is the work related to Viva next? Utility relocations?

Construction crews are digging up Yonge around RHC - is the work related to Viva next? Utility relocations?
Yes, utility relocation:
Yonge Widening.png

Attachments

• Yonge Widening.png
    Yonge Widening.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 492
Cornell Terminal will finally start construction soon!
York Region and York Region Rapid Transit Corporation award contract for new bus transit terminal in Markham
For immediate release
June 18, 2018

MARKHAM, ON – The Regional Municipality of York together with York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) announced today the award of a $16.7 million contract to Orin Contractors Corporation for the construction of a new bus transit terminal in the City of Markham.

The Cornell Terminal will be built at Highway 7 and Ninth Line near Markham-Stouffville Hospital in the Cornell Community. This new terminal will serve as a transit hub, connecting customers to destinations in York Region and neighbouring regions.

"York Regional Council is committed to building a world-class transit system," said York Region Chairman and CEO Wayne Emmerson. "During this term of council, we are spending more money on transit and transportation-related initiatives than any other previous term of council. This new bus transit terminal is one more example of how we are enhancing the entire Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area transportation network."

"The City of Markham is a hub for business, education and innovation, and in order to meet the needs of our growing community, we have to stay ahead of the curve on transit and urban mobility," says Frank Scarpitti, Mayor of the City of Markham and Chairman of the YRRTC Board. "The new Cornell Terminal and projects like it are key to attracting even more global investment and creating thriving communities. This is great news for the people of Markham and York Region alike."

The total project cost is $36.8 million, with the Government of Canada contributing $10.4 million, the Province of Ontario providing $10.8 million and The Regional Municipality of York providing $15.6 million.

York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) is responsible for the planning, design and construction of the full vivaNext rapid transit network and related infrastructure to deliver on the transit priorities set out in the York Region Transportation Master Plan. YRRTC is a wholly-owned subsidiary and share capital corporation of The Regional Municipality of York. The vivaNext rapid transit network is a key component of the vision outlined by Ontario’s Places to Grow Act, which aims to manage growth in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly way that enriches communities. For more information, please visit www.vivanext.com.

The Regional Municipality of York consists of nine local cities and towns, and provides a variety of programs and services to 1.2 million residents and 51,000 businesses with 620,000 employees. More information about the Region’s key service areas is available at york.ca/regionalservices.

I drove along Hwy 7 today from Leslie to MS Hospital. They installed these flimsy, awful little flexiposts along the bike lane in the Rodick area. I shuddered at the bike lanes running past highway on-ramps. Certainly, the transformed sections of highway 7 look pretty, but feel kind of useless from the perspective of non-car transport. Noticed one oddity - the 760 Wonderland bus was on 7 instead of the 407 for some reason in the Bathurst area.

I drove along Hwy 7 today from Leslie to MS Hospital. They installed these flimsy, awful little flexiposts along the bike lane in the Rodick area. I shuddered at the bike lanes running past highway on-ramps. Certainly, the transformed sections of highway 7 look pretty, but feel kind of useless from the perspective of non-car transport. Noticed one oddity - the 760 Wonderland bus was on 7 instead of the 407 for some reason in the Bathurst area.
Those posts are part of a pilot project for “protected” bike lanes in Highway 7 between Fiarburn and Town Centre, quite a small area.

Not sure about the 760 going of Hwy 407 though.

I'm wondering why they are building a station between the 400 and Edgeley. Seems like a useless stop.

I'm wondering why they are building a station between the 400 and Edgeley. Seems like a useless stop.
It's not a useless stop when you consider that interim/final buildout of Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Also, the stop distance is greater than that of the Vivastations at West Beaver Creek and Leslie. If it were up to me, I would have added an additional stop on the east side of Jane St.

They installed these flimsy, awful little flexiposts along the bike lane in the Rodick area. I shuddered at the bike lanes running past highway on-ramps.
Neutrino gets this exactly right. I'm a seasoned cyclist, albeit for good reason, I'm 'losing my nerve' on roads, and this is one of the most dangerous and misleading practices in Ontario for cyclists. Many cyclists see this, and presume it's safe since they 'have the right of way' (which they do if they continue to travel straight in their lane) but the HTA and reality are totally at odds on this, even on municipal roads, let alone arterial or highway.

Just reading Neutrino's description ("pilot project" or not @Leo_Chan ) galvanizes every sixth sense I have (seven with inflation). I'm not a great fan of 'greening' lanes except where necessary, and to make them stand out. This is one instance where every effort to make cyclist r-o-w clear to all concerned must be made. There's many instances of highway on and off ramps where I just dismount and cross on foot to be able to clearly see what's on-coming. It's just not worth the risk. And I can do 100 km jaunts in a day (albeit I'm in late sixties now, and slowing down a bit), just off on a 50 km one now to stay pumped.

Btw: I've done my share of Hwy #7 riding in years past. God knows what I was thinking, just got stuck on it and bulled ahead. Even if improved, Hwy #7 just isn't worth it if alternative parallel routes can be found. I read of cyclists getting whacked on #7 every year by cycling the pathetic one foot space the Province provides to the right of the curb lane edge marking line. The challenge is to find back-roads that are a joy to ride, even if they're hard packed gravel (lots of clay content, loose gravel is almost impossible). Takes a little longer, but I'll take quality over quantity any day. And not having to check over your shoulder every ten seconds.

Last edited:

Back