News   Apr 24, 2024
 203     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 639     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

...images...

Thanks for those images. I was meaning to take a visit to see the progress recently but never got a chance. I don't live too far away so I'll definitely have to take a walk around some time soon. Looks impressive.

Again and again I'm impressed with the progress YRT/Viva is making on transit in York Region, especially when compared against the TTC, which hasn't done anything productive (aside from perhaps the York U busway) for many years.

Moreover ... politics - I get they had to built the BRT here to start because it's part of the downtown Markham center.

When it comes to politics, YRT is in a far better position than the TTC, mainly because the residents and politicians care very little about transit. That gives more control to planners and engineers because there is not the interference that occurs in Toronto. All politicians want from YRT is some kind of project that they can back to appease those voters who want transit. Apart from the Yonge Subway vs BRT argument, York Region seems pretty united behind VivaNext.

Want to know something, the BRT as built today (i.e. this section) will probably increase service by a grand total of 0% ... this area is barely used - in sense that this section of street isn't overly busy from a traffic point of view - The viva buses already had a decent short cut they take through this area.. Again, in 2/3+ years it's a good idea so I'm not faulting anyone. But the key will be what's built on Hi-way 7 / Yonge ... and no, not Newmarket ... talk about politics.

I think 0% is actually being generous. I would have given it a negative number because of the reduction in speed relative to the current on-street route. That said, I don't think it was a bad or political decision to build this busway now. It is far easier to build the busway now while the area is under construction than go back and build it later when the area is built.

I would have given it a negative number because of the reduction in speed relative to the current on-street route.

Why would there be a reduction in speed?

I suppose there are more stops in the plan for the busway, but why else? Physically separating cars from buses ought to speed things up, right?

- St. Clair was a disaster by many respects.

It's amazing how effectively the St.Clair disaster narrative was spun. I imagine we in the near future it will go as far as claiming that St. Clair actually caused the 2008 recession. In many cases it's from people who have never been to St. Clair before, during or since the construction and probably couldn't even find it on a city map.

I was a resident of a St.Clair neighbourhood during all construction phases west of Bathurst. I think it was good value for the money spent, regardless fo what they budgeted for it. It substantially improved the streetscape and was responsible for kicking off a boom that has brought much higher quality shops to the area. I can only wish for my current downtown east neighbourhood to have the same treatment.

Why would there be a reduction in speed?

I suppose there are more stops in the plan for the busway, but why else? Physically separating cars from buses ought to speed things up, right?

To access the busway buses have to make an additional left turn. There is negligible traffic on Enterprise, so the left turn far outweighs any time savings from bypassing traffic. Once they finish the busway all the way to Unionville GO station then it will definitely speed things up, but at the moment it doesn't help at all.

Let's get a couple here to test and see which ones are actually capable of holding their own before a large number of them is ordered.

Sounds like a plan.

The new Rapidway is open:

184841_10150096649017967_66158837966_6398446_7048138_n.jpg

York Region's first rapid transit station and rapidway segment is now open along Enterprise Boulevard near Warden Avenue in Markham!

Celebrate with us and enter our contest for your chance to win a 10-pack of 2-zone, adult Viva tickets!

Inspired by great transportation architecture from historic and modern European examples, vivastations have been engineered and designed for comfort, safety, accessibility and convenience with many features in mind. The new canopies are 27-metres long and offer shelter from the elements, including a fully enclosed 9-metre-long waiting area with motion-activated heaters inside. Other key design features include near-level boarding from the platform onto the bus, textured surfaces near the platform edge and a public address system.

Near the intersection of Enterprise Boulevard and Warden Avenue in Markham, the new Warden Station showcases the next phase of the Viva rapid transit service – rapidways.

Rapidways are dedicated lanes in the centre of the road for Viva vehicles that will make transit faster, more convenient and more reliable. We’ll be building rapidways on Davis Drive in Newmarket, Yonge Street in Richmond Hill, and along Highway 7 from Vaughan to Markham. A total of 71 vivastations will be located approximately one kilometre apart along each rapidway and can be easily accessed at main intersections with countdown pedestrian signals and an audible tone.

Construction of the rapidways also includes urban design elements such as wider sidewalks and planting of trees in the boulevard and along the rapidways. The vivaNext projects set the stage for transforming our key urban corridors into attractive destinations to work, dine, relax, live and shop

Rapidways are dedicated lanes in the centre of the road for Viva vehicles that will make transit faster, more convenient and more reliable.

By their definition, this is not a rapidway since it is not in the centre of the road and it doesn't make transit any faster. By their definition, the first rapidway will be Highway 7 from Bayview to Warden.

By their definition, this is not a rapidway since it is not in the centre of the road and it doesn't make transit any faster. By their definition, the first rapidway will be Highway 7 from Bayview to Warden.

It is still a dedicated right of way for buses that will show its benefits when the area of Downtown Markham is built up and actually becomes busy.

It is still a dedicated right of way for buses that will show its benefits when the area of Downtown Markham is built up and actually becomes busy.

Yes it will, and the definition of a "rapidway" should reflect that. How about "a rapidway is a dedicated right of way for buses", plain and simple.

Yes it will, and the definition of a "rapidway" should reflect that. How about "a rapidway is a dedicated right of way for buses", plain and simple.

Who cares ?

It's also quite debatable, for one; you can consider the rapid way a road, that doesn't happen to have any lanes other then that of those for the bus (so sure it's in the middle, there just don't happen to be any other lanes). Secondly, make if faster compared to what? If it were not in the dedicated 'road' well that's true as well.

Who cares ?

The press release specifically says this is the first section of Rapidway to open, then goes on to define Rapidway in a way that excludes this section of road. I noticed this right away and I'm sure many others will too. York Region should care as it's their credibility on the line and this press release makes them look like idiots.

It isn't any different than a throw-away line that once the Spadina subway is completed to Vaughan that riders will be able to travel from U of T to York underground. Yes, part of it is really overground ... but surely there is a forest beyond the trees.

It isn't any different than a throw-away line that once the Spadina subway is completed to Vaughan that riders will be able to travel from U of T to York underground. Yes, part of it is really overground ... but surely there is a forest beyond the trees.

Yes it is a throw away line and vodka has my blood riled up right now, but the forest is pretty much just this one tree so far.

The shelters look nice, although probably wont protect much from the elements. I love the LED displays. They were supposed to add those to Downtown Hamilton's new Macnab Transit Terminal, but it got cut. As did the green roofs. Oh The Cheapening :(
Does anyone know whether or not the Displays function currently?

Back