News   Apr 19, 2024
 391     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 576     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 960     3 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

I agree. Although, a bit of the eastern bit would have to remain open for Green P access.

Cool tidbit... Dundas Square (the street) is actually the original alignment of Dundas St.

Tangential similar tidbit: The same mis-alignment was present at College/Carlton Yonge.

College/Carlton didn't meet originally.

As per this photo from the City Archives (via BlogTo):

1610402913777.png

The near intersection is College on your right, and looking straight down (south) on Yonge.

The streetcar to the left is on Carlton!

Tangential similar tidbit: The same mis-alignment was present at College/Carlton Yonge.

College/Carlton didn't meet originally.

As per this photo from the City Archives (via BlogTo):

View attachment 293616

The near intersection is College on your right, and looking straight down (south) on Yonge.

The streetcar to the left is on Carlton!

Reminds me of the awkward Lansdowne/Jameson shift at Queen. If there weren't heritage buildings in the way, I'd advocate for a re-alignment...

Reminds me of the awkward Lansdowne/Jameson shift at Queen. If there weren't heritage buildings in the way, I'd advocate for a re-alignment...

What about the shift at St Clair? Pave over the dead? ;)

What is the purpose of those gates in the renders above? Other than being an aesthetic travesty? What's wrong with retractable bollards?

Last edited:
A much bolder vision is needed for Yonge. Unfortunately very true!

A much bolder vision is needed for Yonge. Unfortunately very true!

I'm thrilled that the re-imagining of Yonge is on the table but agree 100%. Even when it comes to one area like paving, this doesn't look like anything special.

This preliminary rendering suggests a fairly standard paving system.. Brisbane used granite on their main shopping strip, the Queen Street Mall. Toronto needs to stop thinking of high quality as something only reserved for super luxe areas like the Mink Mile and start viewing our entire central core as a high end district. On a trip to Helsinki I was struck by the prevalence of granite over huge swaths of their downtown core. It wasn't something they only reserved for expensive areas. Granite was deemed appropriate because it was in the city. It was only in suburbia or the country side where they opted for something of lower quality/lower cost.

I suppose this depends on what type of city we want. A top global metropolis or a super sized Oshawa?

God knows this is a lot better than the dump Yonge is now but it's just too disconnected and convoluted. If it wasn't to be a pedestrian-only mall from Gerrard to Queen, then they didn't need to have a Royal Commission on what to make it when they have a great example just down the 401 in London.

Dundas Place is exactly that, a place. A destination itself and not a road to travel down. London has created a beautiful space which still has 2 lanes of traffic, one each way, BUT it is a true flex street and can be shut down to traffic in, quite literally, 5 minutes and with no bike lanes. The city, even during COVID shut down the street Friday nights and didn't open until Monday morning in the summer. When barriers are required during such times, they simply raise automated pillions in the pavement...............Londoners don't need CN war surplus to tell them where they can and cannot drive. Dundas was also FAR more of a logistical problem than Yonge. Yonge runs only the vomit-comet while that section of Dundas was the busiest transit route in the city carrying up to 80 buses an hour.

This seems like a classic example of trying to appease to everyone resulting in appealing to no one.

God knows this is a lot better than the dump Yonge is now but it's just too disconnected and convoluted. If it wasn't to be a pedestrian-only mall from Gerrard to Queen, then they didn't need to have a Royal Commission on what to make it when they have a great example just down the 401 in London.

Dundas Place is exactly that, a place. A destination itself and not a road to travel down. London has created a beautiful space which still has 2 lanes of traffic, one each way, BUT it is a true flex street and can be shut down to traffic in, quite literally, 5 minutes and with no bike lanes. The city, even during COVID shut down the street Friday nights and didn't open until Monday morning in the summer. When barriers are required during such times, they simply raise automated pillions in the pavement...............Londoners don't need CN war surplus to tell them where they can and cannot drive. Dundas was also FAR more of a logistical problem than Yonge. Yonge runs only the vomit-comet while that section of Dundas was the busiest transit route in the city carrying up to 80 buses an hour.

This seems like a classic example of trying to appease to everyone resulting in appealing to no one.

Sorry what? None of what you said was any clearer than mud.

Interesting reading the comments on the UT story:

(edit: corrected the story)

Maybe this forum is a bit of an echo chamber. Was surprised and amused to see the opposition posted under the story. Including several people who think Toronto streetcars are just a tourist attraction and not critical infrastructure (hilarious) and that King Street is an important car arterial. Also, apparently Yonge St is abandoned in the winter so this is a waste of space. Pedestrian volumes are way down because of the pandemic, but once its over I think you won't see many days, even in winter, where it isn't busy.

Last edited:
I think responding with facts is always a great start. But...some people will never be convinced regardless of what you show em. The only solution (IMO) is to drive for change, and slowly reality on the ground will leave them behind. The Toronto of the 1990s isn't the Toronto of today.

Does take zen-like patience though, and I admit: I definitely get frustrated. (Try looking at some Reddit threads under /r/toronto to get a wider range of views than UT, for example.)

Sorry what? None of what you said was any clearer than mud.

In other words, stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

Make the entire street a flex street from Bloor to King. Wide sidewalks, no bike lanes, no crossing guards that look like a railway track, and no short turn lanes for cars. One way in each direction during weekdays allowing for deliveries etc and after 6 PM close off the entire stretch. They can use automated small posts that come up whenever they want to inform drivers that the road is closed off. It offers continuity from one part of Yonge to the other without people having to look for cars, wondering if they can use the turn lanes or not and if so when, having to guess if they are in a pedestrian section or not, and allows for a completely car free Yonge when there is no reason for the cars or delivery trucks to be there in the first place.

Go look at www.dundasplace.ca to see how easy, straight forward, and pleasant Yonge could be.

This is being discussed at Council as we speak.

It will surprise no one when I say Councillor Holyday is expressing opposition.

But even by his standards, he's making some uniquely stupid comments.

From Matt Elliott's Twitter feed:

1612389238202.png

1612389321636.png

Back