News   Apr 19, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 830     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.8K     2 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

There's Bay Street. A lot of drivers won't even try to use Yonge Street anymore. It's not that practical as is. There are so many left turn restrictions.
That's a fair point. I checked to see if it was feasible to make Yonge between Queen and Gerrard northbound, and Bay in the same section southbound, but if Alternative 4 is chosen then drivers can simply take Church, Bay, Bond, or Victoria to get around the single block. I assume they would also make the tiny section of Shuter west of the laneway eastbound only.

The little stretch between Shuter and Dundas, if it's pedestrianized, would end up sort of like a northeast extension of the Eaton Centre, and I'm curious as to whether that would end up altering the retail landscape there slightly.

SF has just announced a plan to make it's main drag, Market Street, completely car-free for a full 2 miles. Makes Toronto's little attempt at 5 or 6 blocks look kind of pathetic.

TBH, SF has a well-defined and long-reaching arterial streetgrid that allows for the diffusion of traffic. Toronto, it's harder as only a few arterials have that level of reach (Yonge being one of them), the inner streets consisting of discontinuous and undersized side roads.

As such, the initial plans are a good start, and can potentially be expanded on in the future.

Let's hope that planning has the ability to see this plan through without compromises.

Does anyone know if there is there any imminent news about the status of this project? I attended a workshop over a year ago that presented various configurations of street and pedestrian traffic but have heard nothing since. As has been the case for over 40 years, this is a low priority project (this thread alone started 13 years ago). Yonge gets no love.

Update!

Councillor Wong-Tam has posted a conceptual render of Yonge, north of Gerrard

1593721021141.png

Is there a recording of the discussion last night? I missed it due to work.

I would think so (not sure); if you follow this link, you'll see they've put past Webinars up to look at; but this one is not yet on offer.

Is there a recording of the discussion last night? I missed it due to work.

Posted online now!

Has this begun? Just went down Yonge and from approx gerrard to approx king was down to 2 lanes and they were ripping up the south bound lanes. Looks like they were accessing pipes. Although I know Toronto doesn’t do things this way, it would make sense when rebuilding to rebuild it as per the redesign. However maybe a sliver of hope it’s begun?

Back