News   Apr 22, 2024
 796     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

YongeTOmorrow carries at Council!

The vote was 21-5

1612392977807.png

Last edited:
This is being discussed at Council as we speak.

It will surprise no one when I say Councillor Holyday is expressing opposition.

But even by his standards, he's making some uniquely stupid comments.

From Matt Elliott's Twitter feed:

View attachment 298014

View attachment 298015
He must have known the vote was not going to go his way, he's just grandstanding for his constituents who fear not being able to drive down Yonge.

So, what is to stop someone driving around the gate? "I just need to quickly get here". The gate makes it seem like a suggestion.

So, what is to stop someone driving around the gate? "I just need to quickly get here". The gate makes it seem like a suggestion.
Agreed, the gates are ugly and funnel pedestrians to the sides. Retractable bollards would be a lot better.

And before someone gives the classic Canadian "but winter" excuse, retractable bollards can work just fine in the cold.

Agreed, the gates are ugly and funnel pedestrians to the sides. Retractable bollards would be a lot better.

And before someone gives the classic Canadian "but winter" excuse, retractable bollards can work just fine in the cold.
The cold, yes but MAYBE not the salt and sand. Frankly, Transportation has a very hard time maintaining the infrastructure it installs. Look at the small trench drains on the Esplanade north sidewalk as an example. These were installed in 2014 or 2015 and are now totally filled with sand, earth and 'stuff'. They no longer function as drains to send sidewalk water into the tree roots. In this case it should be possible to unscrew the drain covers and remove the "stuff' but this is not done and they are now, apparently, planning to remove them. It's partly lack of $$$ but more a lack of effort! I am afraid "complicated" retractable bollards would be beyond them!

Is there enough room below the street for this to be feasible? The subway is decently shallow

Yes.

We're not talking about 3M high 'bollards'.

We're talking 1M (or less).

The subway is more than 3ft down.

That said, there are competing utilities, (hydro, fibre, gas etc, water, sewer) and as such it might involve some careful placement.

But it should be feasible.

(from an available room, point-of-view).

The cold, yes but MAYBE not the salt and sand. Frankly, Transportation has a very hard time maintaining the infrastructure it installs. Look at the small trench drains on the Esplanade north sidewalk as an example. These were installed in 2014 or 2015 and are now totally filled with sand, earth and 'stuff'. They no longer function as drains to send sidewalk water into the tree roots. In this case it should be possible to unscrew the drain covers and remove the "stuff' but this is not done and they are now, apparently, planning to remove them. It's partly lack of $$$ but more a lack of effort! I am afraid "complicated" retractable bollards would be beyond them!

Of course, if the City would install hydronic snowmelt under the new Yonge, the salt would no longer be necessary..............

I know, I know.....

LOL

Is there enough room below the street for this to be feasible? The subway is decently shallow

You need at least a 1.2m hole for a .9m retractable bollard. Dundas is one of the shallowest stations in the system IIRC due to the solid rock they had to blast through in the area.
Might be easier to have removable bollards that are manually placed, then you'd only need about a half meter of clearance.

Of course, if the City would install hydronic snowmelt under the new Yonge, the salt would no longer be necessary..............

I know, I know.....

LOL

Yeah, for sure! Right under the line item for burying the Gardiner.

We can dream of a decent city. They can't take that from us, at least not until we're as deep underground as the Gardiner should be.

Hydronic snowmelt.....in this small-thinking town. I'd eat my record collection.

Back