Yonge-Dundas Square (Brown + Story Architects) | Page 7

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by MetroMan, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

Nobody has said you aren't entitled to your opinion, so unclear why you keep harping on that. Everyone is disagreeing with you, which is a different thing completely.

2. Isotack

Isotack New Member

Boy talk about missing the point. The sign represents nostalgia from a different time. In technical terms it is a gem. NEON is a lost art and this is a fantastic example of a true art form. None of the signs you quoted used neon like this one. Also, while visually stunning, the current collection of LED signage is fine for modern day, but none of it can depict what this sign will. As for the store itself, anyone who would compare an HMV selling only popular CDs and DVDs as superior to this particular Sams on Yonge, clearly has no appreciation or understanding for music or what it is or was.

3. MetroMan

MetroMan Senior Member

Oh, gawd, this is terrible. :confused:

The classy modern look of the Brown & Story design is being turned into some gaudy 1990s mishmash.

Axf4ever, condovo and AlvinofDiaspar like this.
  4. MetroMan

MetroMan Senior Member

Too bad they’re mounting it on a building that’ll be gone sooner or later (probably sooner). That land is too valuable for a shitty low rise office building. I just hope that whatever goes there, better integrates the spinning records into its facade. They should really be close to street level to appreciate them as they were before.

5. kotsy

kotsy Senior Member

Agreed with that. The size of them is lost with the height they're being mounted at.

6. EastYorkTTCFan

EastYorkTTCFan Senior Member

Then put it in a museum, not on some random building that it doesn't belong on just to apse the people that have nostalgia for it.

7. kotsy

kotsy Senior Member

If it belongs anywhere, it's here. The entire square is already overrun with billboards and signs ffs. Nobody cares if this particular sign is for a business that doesn't exist anymore. Tourists and Torontonians alike will be taking pictures of this, just like they do the other billboards.

ADRM, interchange42 and 44 North like this.
  8. EastYorkTTCFan

EastYorkTTCFan Senior Member

Yup just keep telling yourself that. Only the people that actually cared about it or know it still exsited will bother to look at it. As I said a beter place for it would have been in amusem with aoot of other imprtanmt things from Torontos past but insted of bulding one we are putting them in random palces.

9. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

Yup by a mile, and had any record you wanted, oh and all those 45s...hahaha:p

10. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

That's what made it unique, just like Active Surplus that just vacated Queen Street, too bad everything nowadays is so generic..Yuk

11. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

You were using Grammarly for a while, right? Any reason that you quit using it?

heatscore, kotsy, ADRM and 4 others like this.
  12. 44 North

44 North Senior Member

Reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

-It belongs in a museum!
    -SO DO YOU!

Kidding aside, I agree with Kotsy. Dundas Square is already overrun with commercialized billboards, and the area isn't all that attractive. Adding a bit of light-up nostalgic flair, whether it belongs on a building or not, couldn't lessen this in any way. And Sam's does have a lot of nostalgia. Every time I hear the first few lines of Brian Wilson (drove downtown in the rain 9:30 on a Tues night) I think of childhood memories of tagging along with my dad to Sam's or HMV.

ADRM, alklay and interchange42 like this.
  13. ADRM

ADRM Senior Member

Hell, I don't have really an ounce of emotional attachment to Sam's and I think the sign makes perfect sense in the square.

14. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

Well, exactly. One can appreciate the cultural heritage aspects, or even just respect a notable example of Toronto commercial neon signage. Despite the claims of one person here, it is not all about nostalgia or sentiment for a record store.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Torontovibe and ADRM like this.
  15. syn

syn Senior Member

Agreed. Based on what I saw a few days ago, the scale of this render is off. They'll probably look smaller.

The old Hard Rock would've been a good spot for them.