News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

Truth is both the rendering and the reality are nothing worth looking at. It looks cool when it is hang low on a small building because of the dramatic effects, but on top of a tall building, it is just boring no matter how you put it.

The historic Sam the Record Man sign in the historic movie Half Baked:

half_baked_screen2.jpg

and seen again here in the reflection of Pizza Pizza:

harland-williams-in-half-baked-h.jpg

It's sad to see how disrespectfully the "preserved' the sign.

The historic Sam the Record Man sign in the historic movie Half Baked:

It's sad to see how disrespectfully the "preserved' the sign.

Half baked about sums this effort up.

Can't believe this is the the finished product. Passed by this morning and thought it was still u/c until I read this thread.

Ryerson's sure killed the proverbial diabetic horse on this one.

Ryerson's signed agreement was to conserve and maintain the AESTHETIC and CULTURAL HERITAGE of the signs, which Ryerson clearly did NOT do! It must be removed and Ryerson must pay the full cost to rectify this!

For those of you unfamiliar with the Sams sing, go to 2:22 in this video
Not sure if this is good news or if the city is just looking for a way to best spin this but the scheduled "unveiling" of the sign was cancelled. It was supposed to have been on Monday. I doubt the Mayor and Councillor Wong-Tam want to cut the ribbon on this embarrassment.
I called Wong-Tam's office (and John Tory's) today but still waiting for a call back.

I was just asked to interview for Newstalk 1010 to comment on the Sam The Record Man sign. Just finished recording and I held nothing back and let Ryerson know that they screwed up and this needs to be fixed. My interview airs on Saturday night on Newstalk1010 between 8 and 9pm.
Give em hell MM! Someone at Ry High should lose their head over this.

Back