News   Apr 18, 2024
 656     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

I'm not sure what age 40 has to do with anything since people of all ages visit the square. It's not just nostalgia either, vintage signage can have historical value, particularly if they are representative of an era in a city's history. If anything some vintage signage would bring more legitimacy to this contrived little times square imitation.
I picked age 40 because people around that age are the ones most likely have to gone to sam the record man most often. I'm in my 30's I went there once or twice. I just don't get why pole have some sort of attachment to some old neon sign that we have to save them so that people can see them somewhere. To me Sam the recd man was just another store, should we be saving the HMV sign now too because it's iconic? What if Zanzabar close down should we save it's facade too? I just feel like the Sam the record man sign and the Honest Eds sign are out of place in downtown Toronto now.

I picked age 40 because people around that age are the ones most likely have to gone to sam the record man most often. I'm in my 30's I went there once or twice. I just don't get why pole have some sort of attachment to some old neon sign that we have to save them so that people can see them somewhere. To me Sam the recd man was just another store, should we be saving the HMV sign now too because it's iconic? What if Zanzabar close down should we save it's facade too? I just feel like the Sam the record man sign and the Honest Eds sign are out of place in downtown Toronto now.

With respect, that's your opinion, and it differs from mine at least.

Plus I think the Honest Eds sign will wreck the aesthetic of the there they are putting it on.

Its going on the Mirvish theatre so there's a connection. And you won't even see it from the square.

#1: it's about preserving a piece of history. #2: I'm under 30 and they're significant to me. #3: they're frickin sweet signs that light up! what's not to love?

This could be an interesting way of differentiating Yonge Dundas from being "just a watered down Times Square"- if it also took on the role of being a huge open-air signage museum.

IMG_0803.JPG
Hell yes. The Zanzibar's façade is spectacular.
Agreed very flashy.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 590
There's actually a zoning code for businesses in Times Square that requires them to have at least 1 illuminated sign of a certain size.
\, should we be saving the HMV sign now too because it's iconic?\.

The HMV sign wasn't anything close to iconic and is completely incomparable to the Sam The Record Man sign. The Sam's sign was massive and people couldn't help but take pictures of it when they saw it because it was really out of the ordinary and only found in Toronto. I can't wrap my head around how you don't understand that.

Different doesn't necessarily mean good - other than Sam and Honest Ed (which isn't even facing the square), how much historical signage is there that is remotely interesting? Maybe El Mocambo, etc - but definitely nothing that can populate the square en mass and create an overall presence.

AoD

There's actually a zoning code for businesses in Times Square that requires them to have at least 1 illuminated sign of a certain size.

The HMV sign wasn't anything close to iconic and is completely incomparable to the Sam The Record Man sign. The Sam's sign was massive and people couldn't help but take pictures of it when they saw it because it was really out of the ordinary and only found in Toronto. I can't wrap my head around how you don't understand that.
The same the record man sign was an attraction in it's hay day but now it's just outdated technology that will just get lost amongst the modern signs that are in Dundas Square. I guess it could be something on a toronto wide scavenger hunt to find it but I don't think anyone will even notice it alt. Putting it in a museum would ensure people could actually see it. Alos the Honest EDs sign doesn't belong on back of there on street tah very few ple go on it's adiscarse to te There and the man to put it there.

It's nostalgia and both of them are old and will get lost amongst the other signs in Dundas Square anyway. Plus I think the Honest Eds sign will wreck the aesthetic of the there they are putting it on. If we want to keep them then put them in a museum not on some random buildings.
I totally disagree! I think the Sams sing will look great in the square and its positioning will provide a gateway to the to the area. It will become another place to pose for pics and attract tourists, as well as bring some much-needed neon back to Yonge Street. Yonge Street needs more NEON!

Most importantly, these unique signs reflect Toronto and they give us the opportunity to differentiate ourselves from other cities. They create a unique character that reflects our history and retains some of that wonderful, colourful glow that ONLY neon can bring. I hope they do not restore the sign with LEDs, that would be a huge mistake!

No light has the special glow of neon art!

Last edited:
I totally disagree! I think the Sams sing will look great in the square and its positioning will provide a gateway to the to the area. It will become another place to pose for pics and attract tourists, as well as bring some much-needed neon back to Yonge Street. Yonge Street needs more NEON!
I'
I'm not sure where you seem to think it will go but last I herd was it was proposed to be in top of 10 dundas east so like I said it will get lost amongst all the other billboards. As for Tourist taking picture of it I highly doubt it most will probably look at it and wonder what it is or look around for Sam the record man and when they get told they may take a picture of it but I doubt it will be with people posing in front of it. Sam the record Man is gone just liem Honest ED's we need to let go of our nostalgia for these places and trash the signs.

I'
last I herd was it was proposed to be in top of 10 dundas east so like I said it will get lost amongst all the other billboards. .

It was never going above 10 Dundas East. It's going above 277 Victoria St so it will have some breathing room from all the other billboards currently seen from the square

Back