News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

That he calls it a "mediocre record store" tells me all I need to know. At its peak Sam's was the best store in Canada and up there with the best in the world.

Hold your horses everyone. Remember, there will be a matching one beside it.

201737-sams-sign.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

Good point, however, looking at the placement of the first one up there, adding the 2nd sign on either side will still not make it centered on that building. Not saying it is a deal breaker but I can't see it being centered based on the current sign's position.

I should be in the area later on this week, very curious to see how it's all turned out.

That he calls it a "mediocre record store" tells me all I need to know. At its peak Sam's was the best store in Canada and up there with the best in the world.
The keyword is at it'peak but eventually it declined and HMV took over as a much better store, Sams was cramped and had uneven floors, it looked like it should have been renovated years ago but they decided not to do it. It had no upkeep to the inside of it at all.

Last edited:
WRONG! Some of us actually love the neon sign with the flashing discs! Once it's put up, you might understand. At night they look very cool!
Nope, I never cared about it he Sam's existed and I won't change my opinion once they are somewhere that only a few people who have natsalgic feelings fo a long gfone recrd store. As I said before there will are more people that will look at those signs and not care about the history they have to people then there will be that care about them, they will just be random signs lost anongstr the advertising. Tne only thing likely to happen is for some lost tourist that will look around for Sam the Record man think it's back in business.

Nope, I never cared about it he Sam's existed and I won't change my opinion once they are somewhere that only a few people who have natsalgic feelings fo a long gfone recrd store. As I said before there will are more people that will look at those signs and not care about the history they have to people then there will be that care about them, they will just be random signs lost anongstr the advertising. Tne only thing likely to happen is for some lost tourist that will look around for Sam the Record man think it's back in business.

But what does it matter either way? If it's meaningless to you, but brings imagination to other urban nostalgia enthusiasts, why have issue with it?

But what does it matter either way? If it's meaningless to you, but brings imagination to other urban nostalgia enthusiasts, why have issue with it?
I'm allowed to post my opinion just like they are. I am just saying why I don't agree with them when they tell me I will like it once they are up. I didn't really care for them when they were up like I said I before I didn't really like Sam the record man, much and I have no attachment to it.

The keyword is at it'peak but eventually it declined and HMV took over as a much better store, Sams was cramped and had uneven floors, it looked like it should have been renovated years ago but they decided not to do it. It had no upkeep to the inside of it at all.

Really? You think the uneven floors made HMV the better music store? The selection and the expertise of the staff at Sam's kicked HMV's ass, right until the end, and frankly it was much more fun environment than HMV, but okay.

Putting aside complaints about floor quality, I too am anxious to see the sign up.

Last edited:
Really? You think the uneven floors made HMV the better music store? The selection and the expertise of the staff at Sam's kicked HMV's ass, right until the end, and frankly it was much more fun environment than HMV, but okay.
Look you're entitled to your opinion about a long-gone record store just as I am baout mine all im try to say is that we are holding on to thisa sign becuse p[oel are nisatgc for along gone record store. What's net we put up an Eatons and a Sears sign up in dundas square too how about a Famous Players sign too well we are at it and we can have all of the stiore and place that ued to be in the are too. Maybe we can get ths shoppers drugmart to put up a Planet Holywood sign to well we are at it.

Looks like the installation of the Sam Sign is a bit different. How are they going to mount the two big signs?

Back