News   Apr 25, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

That seems to be how Toronto does things. The majority of projects aren't very nice but over time the good stuff is kept and the rest gets improved or redeveloped. Often Toronto needs 3 or 4 cracks at the same site before it gets it right. It might take 30-40 years but it will happen.

It's why I no longer get too upset about buildings like AURA. We might have to wait 20-30 years before the windows start failing but then we'll get another crack at better quality. The podium and underground section will surely be re-done too.
Aura needs far more than mere window replacement. It needs lots of TNT.

Aura is trash talked by many on UT but fine with most people in Toronto:rolleyes:
When one’s primary concern is the height of a tower and its aesthetics and execution take a back seat, it is hard to find fault in it or any other if it satisfies the former. With all due respect, I would encourage you to expand your purview and rearrange your priorities.

Last edited:
When one’s primary concern is the height of a tower and its aesthetics and execution take a back seat, it is hard to find fault in it or any other if it satisfies the former. With all due respect, I would encourage you to expand your purview and rearrange your priorities.
Lol...pretentious much? It's fine for most of us like he said.

How is that pretentious? All he ever seems to talk about is the height of this or that building. I am telling him that there are more important aspects of a building to consider. What good is height if a building’s design is unattractive and executed with cheap materials and poor attention to detail?

How is that pretentious? All he ever seems to talk about is the height of this or that building. I am telling him that there are more important aspects of a building to consider. What good is height if a building’s design is unattractive and executed with cheap materials and poor attention to detail?
Maybe his priorities are height over all else. Nothing wrong with that. It does seem like you're putting your values over his, and therefore, degrading his thinking.

Right...YOU ARE TELLING HIM! lol I suspect your number of posts on this forum represents your age. Or is it likes?

Maybe his priorities are height over all else. Nothing wrong with that.
They are and that is why I am telling him to try to see buildings with greater nuance. What good is height if a building looks attrocious (generally speaking)? It will just make its ugliness more noticeable. I am not against one liking tall buildings, but height for the sake of height combined with a negligible attitude toward a building’s design, materials and how well it is assembled, is silly; especially when one is crossing their fingers, hoping that a new development will be in a particular height range (supertall) before even seeing any renderings.

Right...YOU ARE TELLING HIM! lol I suspect your number of posts on this forum represents your age. Or is it likes?
I think you’re confusing “telling” with me forcing Automation Gallery to adopt my point of view. Everyone tells each other something when they are communicating. That is how we convey ideas and information. If your second sentence is supposed to get my goat, it doesn’t. Resorting to ad hominem attacks is just lazy and isn’t a form of argumentation. All I was doing was attempting to offer some constructive criticism by suggesting that AG see buildings in a different light and you have taken this far too personally, and have assumed that I was insulting him. You’re projecting. I wasn’t deriding him. Anyway, I have made my intentions clear. If you don’t like what I said, that is your prerogative. Time to move on.

AURA will need more 'work' in the future. I think most can agree with that. Can we get back to Dundas Square? Btw, does anyone actually call it Yonge Dundas Square?

LOL Let's keep in mind AG took another opportunity to "roll his eyes" at those that aren't fine with his standards which was the cause and effect behind the response.

The last time I heard purview used was around minute 2:30 here.

Last edited:
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 536
Came here to post about this but torontoboy got to it first. One of the original long canopy’s pillars was also gated off. From the renderings, it looks like they’re going to be clad like these ones and it appears that that work is starting.

Back