News   Apr 19, 2024
 703     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Yonge-Dundas Square/Sankofa Square (Brown + Storey Architects)

The second I saw this sign, just a few hours ago, I realized this was NOT the real Sams sign and it was nothing like the rendering either. Ryerson completely pulled a bait and switch on all of us but who is responsible? I will be screaming my head off at Wong-Tams office, along with John Tory and Ryerson tomorrow! I am NOT just going to let this BS slide! This really ruined my day and probably my week! I just feel like Ryerson really tried to pull a fast one on the city! It shows how little respect or love they have for Toronto and that sign!
If this is the biggest issue for you this week, then you have a very easy life.

The second I saw this sign, just a few hours ago, I realized this was NOT the real Sams sign and it was nothing like the rendering either. Ryerson completely pulled a bait and switch on all of us but who is responsible? I will be screaming my head off at Wong-Tams office, along with John Tory and Ryerson tomorrow! I am NOT just going to let this BS slide! This really ruined my day and probably my week! I just feel like Ryerson really tried to pull a fast one on the city! It shows how little respect or love they have for Toronto and that sign!

This embarrassment cannot stand. Please contact Councillor Wong Tam about and demand it be taken down and made right. I’ll be very disappointed if she lefts this thing stay. She’s been one of the proponents for the signs restoration and for Ryerson honouring their contract.

What a joke.

This is something that can happen when you leave so much of the city's art and culture to developers.

Looks like Ryerson reneged on yet another contract with the city. The sign was supposed to be mounted on a wall, so its translucency is just a byproduct of them not following through yet again.

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 427
This is quite embarrassing. I figured Ryerson would do a much better job. Perhaps my expectations were far too high.

How does someone sign off on something like this? I didn't think it possible to screw this up but they've managed the impossible.

If this is the biggest issue for you this week, then you have a very easy life.
Nice try but I'm not falling for it! I have a right to care about more than one thing at a time and I have a right to pick and choose my issues. I do not like what Ryerson has done and I care about aesthetics, along with other issues, of course. I love my city and I fight for it, simple as that. And nope, you ain't gonna shut me up!

Ryerson's signed agreement was to conserve and maintain the AESTHETIC and CULTURAL HERITAGE of the signs, which Ryerson clearly did NOT do! It must be removed and Ryerson must pay the full cost to rectify this!

For those of you unfamiliar with the Sam's sing, go to 2:22 in this video and compare

Last edited:
Ryerson's signed agreement was to conserve and maintain the AESTHETIC and CULTURAL HERITAGE of the signs, which Ryerson clearly did NOT do! It must be removed and Ryerson must pay the full cost to rectify this!
I doubt that will happen at this point. You have your precious landmark sign" it may not be like you rembered it. Sam the record man is gone tne sign should have gone with it. Be happey taht you still agve it at all. Ther are a lot of things that are gone in the city that people miss and we don't have signs saved for all of them. Like for example I miss having the old Gloucester subway trains running on line 1 but I don't expect the TTC to have kept one around and keep it.

I doubt that will happen at this point. You have your precious landmark sign" it may not be like you rembered it. Sam the record man is gone tne sign should have gone with it. Be happey taht you still agve it at all. Ther are a lot of things that are gone in the city that people miss and we don't have signs saved for all of them. Like for example I miss having the old Gloucester subway trains running on line 1 but I don't expect the TTC to have kept one around and keep it.
You've made your point known several times. No need to keep reiterating.

This is an embarrassing attempt at conserving the heritage of the Sam's sign.
Ryerson should be held responsible to restore the sign to replicate the rendering.

1) Please use Grammarly! Going forward, your error-riddled posts may be deleted.
2) You can go see a Gloucester subway train, but of course it's not running on the Yonge line, it's at the Halton County Radial Railway. Moving such things for heritage purposes is not unheard of.

Back