News   Jul 15, 2024
 751     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

Yonge and Eligible

matt602

Member Bio
Reaction score
My first "real" post on Urban Toronto here. I live in Hamilton but was born and raised in the neighborhood that I'll be showing in this thread. My family left the area in 1998, moving to Hamilton in 2001 after a stint of different residences across Toronto including High Park (I loved it there). I returned for the day 2 Friday's ago to take pictures with my new camera, since I haven't done so in Toronto yet. It's amazing how different things are in the area since we lived there. So much more development in the Yonge/Eglinton area, and I was shocked to see the Chateau Royale condo on Mt. Pleasant. I think a gas station used to be there. I agree with what has been said, it's butt ugly. I'd expect it to be seen in Hamilton or something (our own Chateau Royale is equally as disturbing).

I really miss living in Toronto as a whole, but this area in particular. I noticed that a lot of people agree with me and hold this area in high esteem. It's not hard to see why. The area is rich in amenities, the transportation is incredibly efficient and development is absolutely booming. I hope to return some day, but I love downtown Hamilton almost as much... so it will be hard.

Anyway here's the pictures, a random assortment from Yonge/St. Clair, North on Yonge to Davisville, eventually making it's way around to Bayview South. All areas I used to frequent as a kid. Lots of memories. I hope to return to Toronto soon to also do a High Park/Roncesvales shoot as well. Another beautiful area of Toronto that has also undergone a bit of a boom.

We start at Yonge/St. Clair which I don't think has changed too much in the past 10 years. A lot of the 'scrapers are from the '70s and '80s it seems.

1-yongestclair.jpg

Progressing North on Yonge, the incredible surge of development at Yonge/Eglinton becomes apparent on the horizon. Almost a downtown of it's own.

2-yongenorth.jpg

According to my mom, this used to be a McDonalds on the corner where the pub is. I don't remember it. The pub looks to be a better use.

3-yongenorth2.jpg

Farther North on Yonge we come across the Belt Line bridge. This bridge lets the Belt Line Trail cross over Yonge St. and TTC's Davisville Yard.

4-beltlinebridge.jpg

Incredibly fancy crap just South of Davisville here.

5-fancy.jpg

The aforementioned Belt Line trail, continuing East over to Mt. Pleasant Rd.

7-beltlinetrail1.jpg

The money shot from the Belt Line bridge. Great place to "railfan".

8-davisvilleyard1.jpg

Another "money shot" of Yonge/Eglinton in the distance.

9-yongenorthfromdavisville.jpg

Yonge proceeding South from the bridge.

10-yongesouthfromdavisville.jpg

Some interesting residential projects can be found along Merton St, West of Mt. Pleasant. I remember there being a lot of industrial stuff along here when I was a lad.

12-merton.jpg

Hodgson Senior PS, my school for grade 7 and 8 back in 1999 or so. Commuted here from Lawrence and Dufferin area at the time, every day.

13-hodgson.jpg

Next series of shots are of Bayview South. A booming retail village along both sides of Bayview from roughly Soudan Ave. to Milwood Rd. Lots of great dining experiences to be had.

14-bayview1.jpg

15-bayview2.jpg

16-bayview3.jpg

17-bayview4.jpg

Anyway that's it for now. I hope I wasn't too lengthy with the chatter. I don't know too many people from this area of Toronto any more, so I kinda go nuts when I get the chance.

great series of pics on this tour! I am a big fan of Bayview Village too, though it doesnt seem to get much attention on this forum. I'd like to do a detailed photo shoot over there sometime...

You're right about the Yonge and Eg amenities. Besides the shops there is a high school and grade school within walking distance, and your old senior school a 3 minute drive away.

The area is HOPPING at night. 230am I was driving along Eg east between Mt Pleasant and Yonge; I thought I was in the King/John district. ok, a little exaggeration.:) but it was busy.

Bayview is a wonderful street; very lively at night with the gelato bar at Manor road. Wider than normal sidewalks. A shame it's off the subway.

Nice shots. I haven't been up to Eglinton is quite a while. If you're torn between the Hammer and Toronto, maybe you should move to Oakville (I'm kidding, I'm kidding :))

Haven't been to the Elegant Garage Sale on Bayview in years. It used to be a source of wonderful finds - I bought a set of four lovely little signed Lucie Rie and Hans Coper domestic ware bowls there for $15 about ten years ago!

Aye, the Elegant Garage Sale was a favorite of mine as a wee lad. Our house is still adorned with a couple of things from there.

I should add that I found it funny when I went back to Mt. Pleasant about a year ago and noticed Shoppers Drug Mart had moved across the street and Rexall had taken their old spot. Bit of irony. Rexall now seems to be busier than Shoppers new store across the street. The Sobeys that replaced IGA also seems quite nice, and it seems that the Briton House complex has expanded quite a bit. As a kid there never used to be anything over the IGA. Now it seems theres a towering 20 story thing.

I'm glad that the storefront retail along the East side of Mt. Pleasant is still completely intact. You can't replicate that stuff. I think Mt. Pleasant will probably go through a boom similar to Bayview and Eglinton near Yonge in the coming years. Condo developments seem to make that happen.

I think Mt. Pleasant will probably go through a boom similar to Bayview and Eglinton.

Mt. Pleasant is changing rapidly. A lot of interesting pastry shops and restaurants have opened up on the street just recently.

My only beef with living and hanging out in the yonge+eglinton / mt.pleasant / bayview area is that it needs more good coffee shops. On the level of Mercury on queen st. east or Manic on college.

The retail strips on Bayview and Mt. Pleasant are the best kept secrets in the city. I would hate to see them ruined by condos. I think that Bayview south of Eglinton is my favourite "main street" in Toronto.

It is indeed a very unique retail sector. It doesn't have the same trendy theme to it as Queen West and it's not as high class as downtown. It's much more family oriented and has a more vintage feel to it. Mt. Pleasant really has the vintage feel to it, some of the stores close to Soudan have been there for decades. There's a chocolate shop on the East side just 5 stores South of Soudan that has been there for at least 30 years. Chic'n Deli just South of Eglinton on Mt. Pleasant has been there for a long time too, probably approaching 30 years as well. I remember it being there as long as I've been around, and I'll be 22 in a week.

I kind of feel that Bayview is getting a bit too mainstream with the addition of Starbucks, unfortunately. It's not really a very nice looking store either. Thankfully there isn't really any room along Bayview South for condo's to go up unless expropriation happens (very unlikely). Bayview North of Soudan where the hill is might get some expropriation and condo development however. That mega condo was built on the corner of Bayview/Eg about 7 years ago. I think at least one loft project was finished on Eglinton East, up the hill from Bayview as well.

Y&E-good pics!

Matt: Good Y&E pics! I want to mention pic#7-the TTC Davisville Yard and HQ Building-it seems like that former rail ROW definitely is an interesting place to a rail buff like me. LI MIKE

Back