News   Sep 26, 2024
 518     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 675     0 

World's most economically powerful cities (TO #10)

In my business, the CIA Factbook has long been derided as, shall we say, somewhat iffy...they've gotten better, but for my money I prefer correlating World Bank stats with IMF, OECD and UN stats. They often use one another's data sets and are usually bulletproof.

^... That's pretty good given that Canada's population is 50% + smaller than the next country on that list (Spain)
I don't follow your math on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain
Population - 2007 estimate 45,200,737

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
Population - 2008 estimate 33,344,000

50% smaller than Spain's population would be 45,200,737 x 0.50 = 22,600,368.

By my math, Canada's population is approx. 35.5% smaller than Spain's, for a difference of 11,856,737 people.

Perhaps he meant Spain is 50% bigger. People sometimes get confused by that.

Read this on the subway this morning:

Economist: Urban Competitiveness

New York is the world’s most competitive city, according to the Global Urban Competitiveness Project. The study ranks 500 cities on their ability to attract and use resources to generate wealth. The cities are assessed on nine measures, including income, economic growth, innovation, jobs, prices and the presence of multinational firms.

The chart shows Toronto ranked 11th.

No, that can't be. It is impossible. L. A. has many freeways, therefore it is better to drive in. No city can attract talent if people can't drive in it.

There, I basically saved a rant from Dichotomy.

You forgot to mention a personal anecdote about punk kids who vandalized his car in 1986 and how that would never happen in Sao Paulo or Moscow.

No, that can't be. It is impossible. L. A. has many freeways, therefore it is better to drive in. No city can attract talent if people can't drive in it.

I've been to LA a number of times and it's a traffic nightmare. LA and it's greater area is quickly running out of capacity.

Back