News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

World's First, Building in Motion

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

World's First 'Building In Motion' Set For Dubai

Italian Architect Poised To Build 80-Story Tower With Revolving Floors Powered By Wind Turbines

Plan In Place To Put Up Similar Buildings In Moscow, NYC

bim.jpg

NEW YORK (CBS) ― You have to see this to believe it.

Italian architect Dr. David Fisher announced on Tuesday the launch of a revolutionary skyscraper in Dubai dubbed as the "world's first building in motion," an 80-story tower with revolving floors that give it an ever-shifting shape.

The spinning floors, hung like rings around an immobile cement core, would offer residents a constantly changing view of the Persian Gulf and the Dubai's futuristic skyline.

At a news conference in New York, Rotating Tower Dubai Development Ltd headed by the Dynamic Group, revealed the design and floor plans of the rotating building.

The one planned for Dubai will rise 1,380 feet into the air. Sales of individual apartments will begin in September, with asking prices of around $3,000 per square foot. The smallest, at 1,330 square feet, would cost about $4 million and the largest, a 12,900-square-foot villa, $38.7 million.

Fisher also said a second Dynamic Tower planned for Moscow is now in the advanced design phase, with preassembling of the units to start soon and completion scheduled for 2010. The Moscow tower, which will have 70 floors and be 1,310 feet tall, will be located in the Moscow City area, the new prestigious part of the Russian capital.

"Our intention is to build the third rotating skyscraper in New York," Dr. Fisher said. "Additional Dynamic Towers will be built around the world, following an expression of interest from developers, governments, and public officials to construct a Dynamic Tower in Canada, Germany, Italy, Korea and Switzerland."

So all this begs the question: Is it real or science fiction?

A few penthouse villas would spin on command using a voice-activated computer. The motion of the rest of the building would be choreographed in patterns that could be altered over time.

Fisher declared that his tower will revolutionize the way skyscrapers are made -- a claim that might strike some as excessively bold.

Fisher acknowledges that he is not well known, has never built a skyscraper before and hasn't practiced architecture regularly in decades. But he insisted his lack of experience wouldn't stop him from completing the project, which has attracted top design talent, including Leslie E. Robertson, the structural engineer for the World Trade Center and the Shanghai World Financial Center.

"I did not design skyscrapers, but I feel ready to do so," Fisher said.

Twisting floors are just one of several futuristic features in the building; the first of several Fisher hopes to build with a similar design.

Giant wind turbines installed between every floor, he said, will generate enough electricity to power the entire building, and lifts will allow penthouse residents to park their cars right in their apartments.

The Moscow version of the tower would also have a retractable helicopter pad. Both structures, at over 1,300 feet, would be taller than the Empire State Building.

Even the method of construction would be unorthodox.

Fisher said each floor will be prefabricated in an Italian factory, and then shipped to the site to be attached to the core. Assembling a building in this fashion, he said, will require only 80 technicians and take only 20 months, saving tens of millions of dollars, for a total cost of $700 million to build.

On its face, the project seems to pose a number of complicated engineering puzzles.

How would the plumbing hookups work in an apartment that is constantly moving? Fisher said the pipes will connect to the core via attachments similar to the ones used by military aircraft for in-flight refueling.

Wouldn't people get dizzy? No, says Fisher. The rotations will be slow enough that no one will notice.

With so many moving parts, wouldn't the building be a maintenance nightmare? Fisher said the building's modular construction will allow easy access to parts that need to be replaced.

Robertson, who attended Tuesday's news conference, said that the skyscraper might be unusual, but is "absolutely" buildable.

"You can build anything," he said, smiling.

Fisher declined to say exactly where in Dubai the tower will be built or when site work might begin. He insisted, however, that factory production is set to start within weeks and that the tower, which will contain office space, a luxury hotel and apartments, will be complete by 2010.

Skeptics might question Fisher's credentials to pull off the job.

In a biography he had been distributing for months, he said he graduated from the University of Florence in 1976, came to New York in the mid-1980s and later developed hotels and ran a company that specialized in stone and prefabricated construction materials.

The biography also said he received an honorary doctorate from "The Prodeo Institute at Columbia University in New York." No such institution exists, however, and Columbia said it had never awarded Fisher an honorary degree.

Asked to explain the discrepancy, Fisher said, through his New York publicists, that he had been awarded the degree by the Catholic University of Rome during a ceremony in 1994 held at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, which is near Columbia's campus.

Asked again to clarify the name of the school that conferred the degree, Fisher's publicists said in an e-mail that "Dr. Fisher did receive an honorary doctorate in Economics from Pre Deo University, but it has been removed from his bio because he wants to be entirely accurate and cannot be with this information."

"Our intention is to build the third rotating skyscraper in New York," Dr. Fisher said. "Additional Dynamic Towers will be built around the world, following an expression of interest from developers, governments, and public officials to construct a Dynamic Tower in Canada, Germany, Italy, Korea and Switzerland."

Where in Canada? Toronto? Maybe Harry Stinson is in on this.

Italian architect David Fisher is building his first skyscraper, the Dynamic Tower, and it happens to be one of the most ambitious construction plans since the Pyramid of Khufu. Every floor of the 80-story self-powered building rotates according to voice command, and nearly the entire construction of the $700 million structure is pre-made. I caught up with the architect in New York, and he blew my mind again and again.

Fisher was inspired to design the Dynamic Tower during a visit to a friend's top-floor Midtown Manhattan apartment. "I had a view of the Hudson River and East River at the same time, it was beautiful and I wanted to make that feeling accessible to more people." He loves the idea of seeing the sun rise and set in the same room, and considers the building to be four-dimensional. "Time is always changing the shape of the building," he told me.

The rotation takes up to 3 hours (so you're not always spilling your coffee), and gets power from photovoltaic solar cells and 79 wind turbines, one located between each floor. The system is meant to create enough energy to power to the entire tower and still have juice to spare for some surrounding buildings. According to Fisher, two of these $700 million futuristic scrapers are planned so far, one each in Dubai and Moscow. They will be built using a truly radical technique.

Construction on the Dynamic Tower will be unlike anything that preceded it. The only part of the tower built on site will be the skinny center core. It is strong enough to hold the floors in place, and will contain the building's elevators, which transport people and cars right to their door. Each floor will be made piece by piece in a factory in Italy—a throwback to Fisher's previous life in prefabricated bathroom design—and placed onto the core using a lift system. With this method, each story is completed in about six days. By comparison, traditional ground-up methods can take six weeks per floor.

Groundbreaking for Dynamic Towers in Dubai and Moscow is expected to happen in the fall, with construction reaching completion by the end of 2010. If you're game—and very, very loaded—you can sign up now for a villa or office space. The going rate is $3000/sq foot.

dynamictower1ol7.jpg

dynamictower2lk3.jpg

dynamictower3pj6.jpg

dynamictower4re6.jpg

dynamictower5uv8.jpg

dynamictower6ds5.jpg

dynamictower7uz5.jpg

Source

Might one of these end up being the Signature Tower at Cityplace? Hmmm. Just maybe!

PS: Shouldn't this be in the other buildings forum?

This is absolutely unnecessary in a world that needs environmental innovation... not more technoloy with components that can break down and get tons of wear and tear. :rolleyes:

This reminded me that the restaurant on top of the Harbour Castle no longer rotates. That was a very disappointing discovery last summer. By the way, the restaurant itself, Toula, is godawful. Very pricey for mediocre food. I would have been more satisfied going to a Wendy's.

While this does have a "cool" factor, I would find that very disorienting. I'd hate to live in it.
Wow really? That's a pretty simpleminded thing to say.

I think most people would love to live in something like this.

I'd love to see how they get plumming to these units. All they seem to mention is something I can see for drainage but nothing else.

Wow really? That's a pretty simpleminded thing to say.

I think most people would love to live in something like this.

Why are you resorting to name calling? I'm allowed to have an opinion. If you don't like it, you can just skip right on over it if you have nothing good to say.

I wonder if every unit will be equipped with fashionable air sickness bags for the really windy days?

The coolest part for me wouldn't be the rotation but the ability to park my Ferrari in my suite. To the Batmobile!. :D

The weird thing about that is that it doesn't appear your car would actually be in your suite, so I'm not sure why they show a picture with one there like that.
If you look at the floorplan, it's beside the elevators. Two parking spots per floor.

Back