News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 709     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Witton Lofts (Hamilton, CoreUrban, 5s, Lintack Architects)

Taken just now (was in the hood, fig'd I'd snap a shot of any progress)

6718416d.jpg

7e51f031.jpg

by me

I also really like it! This is right in the West Harbour neighbourhood steps from James St North and the Bayfront.
Also steps from the proposed James North GO stn.

I like how they added balconies to to sides of the brick units as well. When it comes to lofts, I would rather buy one with a balcony which is rare (especially in true lofts).

** Added larger rendering**

attachment.php

Are you kidding?! There is nothing to like about this - I can't even call it a design. These 'architects' specialize in strip malls, and this is no better.

It would be easy enough to ignore if it didn't deface a dignified heritage structure.

Last edited:
Are you kidding?! There is nothing to like about this - I can't even call it a design. These 'architects' specialize in strip malls, and this is no better.

It would be easy enough to ignore if it didn't deface a dignified heritage structure.

It's an opinion. Deal with it.

Good for the 'Hood

I'm curious, what do you like about this proposal Jaybee?

It doesn't deface a dignified heritage structure at all. The glass level (assuming it's done properly) will infact compliment the bldg, while providing some non-intrucive height to a generally low-rise, mid-density hood.

Check out this new render again:

1319223199_murray%20view%20small.jpg

source

I think, neubilder, you need to understand the hood in which this is being built in order to fully appreciate it.
Example; directly behind this render is the Hamilton Harbour/Bayfront Park/Yacht Club.
The glass units allow for amazing views from any unit (south-facing units get Downtown Skyline + Escarpment view, north-facing get the Bay), and I feel once done (properly) the glass will reflect the sky.

This is a perfect project for this neighbourhood, and will hopefully spur more development in an area that really needs help.. ESPECIALLY at the West Harbour one block West. Now that the TiCats have killed any hopes of a sportsplex there, the City is exploring BigBox proposals. This hood needs RESIDENTIAL development, not big-box 2mins from our Core!

Last edited:
I don't disagree that this area could use intensification and development, and that the building in question would benefit from being re-purposed and given a new life, but the firm commissioned with the task has done a very poor job. Look at their website - they are clearly not capable of the nuance that is required to adapt and reuse an historic building such as the this. The proportions of what they have done would be laughable if it wasn't such a sad waste. All they did was take a dumb extrusion of the building below and superimpose generic condo treatments. I see the renderings and they make me cringe.

Last edited:
Definitely not a fan. They could have done MUCH better. In fact, this heritage building DESERVES much better.

Next time I have an opinion, I'll OK it with you first.

No need

UT would be boring and pointless if everyone was polite and agreeable (IMO). Discussion about city building, urbanism + urban politics, design etc is going to be filled with strong opinions. A thick skin helps though...

Last edited:
Next time I have an opinion, I'll OK it with you first.

I don't disagree that this area could use intensification and development, and that the building in question would benefit from being re-purposed and given a new life, but the firm commissioned with the task has done a very poor job. Look at their website - they are clearly not capable of the nuance that is required to adapt and reuse an historic building such as the this. The proportions of what they have done would be laughable if it wasn't such a sad waste. All they did was take a dumb extrusion of the building below and superimpose generic condo treatments. I see the renderings and they make me cringe.

I prefer to reserve final judgement on the final product. I'll try and document this via photos as much as possible.
Maybe you should wait til the end product as well.
Remember, this is just a drawing! They often turn out different in real life ;)

Witton Lofts, Hamilton

We have purchased a glass level unit and after being told that completion would be early spring, then June - July of 2012, we have recently not been informed of anything! The steel framework for the 3 glass levels has not even been started. We are needing the hear about any delays and/or an new projected completion time line.

Back