1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 675     0 

Winnipeg, Regina residents more intimidated by urban crime than Torontonians

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Residents of Winnipeg and Regina more intimidated by their cities than Torontonians
CanWest News Service
Published: Saturday, May 26, 2007

Residents of Winnipeg and Regina beat out Torontonians when it comes to being afraid of their own streets, according to a new survey. The Canada West Foundation recently surveyed people in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Toronto about violent crime. When asked whether there are areas they are scared to set foot in, 78.4% of Winnipeggers and 74.5% of Regina residents said "yes" -- compared with just 66.8% of Torontonians. The only city surveyed that posted a lower rate of urban crime fear than Toronto was Calgary -- 65%. The total results are considered accurate to within plus or minus 1.66 per cent 95 times out of 100, and the results within the cities are considered accurate to within 4.38 per cent 95 times out of 100.

That's a pretty reasonable reflection of actual crime statistics, since Winnipeg and Regina both have much higher rates. Of course, the Sun would disagree...

That figure seems too low for me. If it was "do you feel so scared you avoid areas?" then the figure would be much lower for Toronto, but if it's just "do you feel scared when in certain areas?" I'd expect it to be higher.

I've rarely felt at risk of crime throughout my years living in the Beach(s) and then Cabbagetown. Sure, if I ventured into the "townships" of Scarborough or Jane/Finch as a teenager I'd feel some unseen threat, but nothing ever occured, and that'd be surburban crime regardless.

Back