News   Jul 08, 2024
 647     3 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 474     0 

Window Coverings

JayBee

Member Bio
Reaction score
For those of you who have floor to ceiling windows a la Spire, Met, Murano, etc... What other window covering options are there besides the standard verticals which I hate?

Generally, how much would I be looking to spend to cover about 20 ft of window wall? :(

For those of you who have floor to ceiling windows a la Spire, Met, Murano, etc... What other window covering options are there besides the standard verticals which I hate?

Generally, how much would I be looking to spend to cover about 20 ft of window wall? :(

There are numerous options besides the obvious (curtains). The cost varies enormously by what you choose be it blackout blinds to automatically controlled solar shades. The possibilities are almost endless
I've always bought from Alleen's in College Park. If you have the time, drop by their College Park or St. Clair & Yonge location and check out the selection and bring your measurements to get quotes. You'll be very surprised and probably quite pleased at the variety of window coverings available. It's fun too!
Google Alleen's Window Coverings for their website.

Thanks DT

I accidentally posted in the wrong forum. Mods, feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Thanks

If you haven't already done so, check with your management office regarding colours. Many buildings require window coverings to be white or a closely similar colour.

If you don't like verticals you would probably be looking at curtains. I can say from personal experience that horizontal blinds are huge dust collectors.

I think it depends on your price range. Vertical blinds are about the same price as curtains from ikea. If you don't mind the cost, there's other options like roller shades which look really nice in office buildings. I think it would look nice in a home too but costly. The new style I've seen lately at model suites are thin curtains with clips above the ceiling so they could be pulled any distance along the window. Some mix that with verticals for more privacy.

I find I don't really like the traditional curtain rods. They don't work well in condos. You can't drill onto the wall because there isn't any. It has to be drilled onto the ceiling. Chances are you need one on both sides and one in the middle. That will limit you where you can draw the curtains. They can only be parted in the middle. The new style of drilling the slider on the ceiling and adding clips is better I think because you have a choice of where you want to light your room. However, the draw back of using clips is thin curtains. If they're thick, it might be too heavy. If you're considering colours to darken it, you might have issues with management. I think most buildings want white or off white so the windows don't stand out too much.

Things you might want to consider is being able to allow light into the room during the day. However you might want privacy at night. I notice some people even forgo curtains because it brightens their rooms during the day. The only time they need to turn on light is when the sun sets. I guess if you're high enough, some people don't really care about curtains at night. The rooms will be dark without light anyhow and you get a nice night view from the window. How many people spend time staring out their window anyhow?

Last edited:
I think it depends on your price range. Vertical blinds are about the same price as curtains from ikea. If you don't mind the cost, there's other options like roller shades which look really nice in office buildings. I think it would look nice in a home too but costly. The new style I've seen lately at model suites are thin curtains with clips above the ceiling so they could be pulled any distance along the window. Some mix that with verticals for more privacy.

I find I don't really like the traditional curtain rods. They don't work well in condos. You can't drill onto the wall because there isn't any. It has to be drilled onto the ceiling. Chances are you need one on both sides and one in the middle. That will limit you where you can draw the curtains. They can only be parted in the middle. The new style of drilling the slider on the ceiling and adding clips is better I think because you have a choice of where you want to light your room. However, the draw back of using clips is thin curtains. If they're thick, it might be too heavy. If you're considering colours to darken it, you might have issues with management. I think most buildings want white or off white so the windows don't stand out too much.

Things you might want to consider is being able to allow light into the room during the day. However you might want privacy at night. I notice some people even forgo curtains because it brightens their rooms during the day. The only time they need to turn on light is when the sun sets. I guess if you're high enough, some people don't really care about curtains at night. The rooms will be dark without light anyhow and you get a nice night view from the window. How many people spend time staring out their window anyhow?
Thanks for the insight. I was considering the roller shades at least for my bedroom, I don't really care too much for having blinds in the living room....I'm pretty high so privacy isn't really an issue. I figured roller blinds would be costly but they're nice and simple. I'm not really big on curtains either...

Speaking of blinds.. I want to get vertical blinds for my new place when it's built.. I'd like to get electronically controlled ones.. does anyone have any experience with those? How much extra do they cost and what places sell them?

Thanks..

I too would like to know specific retailers that sell these at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experiece on roller blinds? and what the going rate is?

Roller shades can be quite expensive depending on the material you want. I checked at home depot awhile back and it was around $600+ to cover the livingroom and one bedroom window. You can probably get verticals for half the price including installation.

Another Blind Inquiry

I'm glad i stumbled onto this page since I have a different window covering issue.
Anyone know of a window covering solution that starts at ground and can move up in height? My problem is I would like a bit of privacy from the top floor of the building across from me but don't want to block the light from the window completely.
I've seen bottom-up blinds but they all seem kind of "rickety" and something akin to cheap folded paper lanterns. i would like something substantial like roller blinds but again, with the capability to cover from ground up.
Tall order, I know. Hopefully someone knows of a solution!

Speaking of blinds.. I want to get vertical blinds for my new place when it's built.. I'd like to get electronically controlled ones.. does anyone have any experience with those? How much extra do they cost and what places sell them?

Thanks..

Are you speaking about electronic roller blinds? They are awesome, especially if your unit has a loft with a huge larger 18+ foot expanse of glazing running from the main level. If you have typical 8-10-foot ceilings, and your rooms are not wider than 30-foot, then the electrical may be a waste of money other than looking cool once in a while.

If your unit is not built yet, I would recommend speaking to the developer and seeing if they could put an electrical outlet at the top of your wall beside the window therefore providing electricity. I would also inquire about putting a small bulkhead running the width of the glazing to hide the rollers.

Are you speaking about electronic roller blinds? They are awesome, especially if your unit has a loft with a huge larger 18+ foot expanse of glazing running from the main level. If you have typical 8-10-foot ceilings, and your rooms are not wider than 30-foot, then the electrical may be a waste of money other than looking cool once in a while.

If your unit is not built yet, I would recommend speaking to the developer and seeing if they could put an electrical outlet at the top of your wall beside the window therefore providing electricity. I would also inquire about putting a small bulkhead running the width of the glazing to hide the rollers.

I was thinking vertical blinds actually.. automated twirl and open/close from a control panel. I'm an electrician so I can wire it myself no problem.. I just don't know how expensive it is to go electric. It's overkill for sure, but if it's not too much more money, then why the hell not?

I was thinking vertical blinds actually.. automated twirl and open/close from a control panel. I'm an electrician so I can wire it myself no problem.. I just don't know how expensive it is to go electric. It's overkill for sure, but if it's not too much more money, then why the hell not?

If you are an electrician, and they are not much more expensive, then there is no reason to not do it!

blinds

If anyone is interested feel free to email me urban realty toronto at gmail dot com

I have some good contacts for blinds, incl. electric which we used in several properties. I'm back in the city Monday.

Last edited:

Back