2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.8K     4 

Winchester Hotel battle brews

R

rdaner

John McLeod stands before the Winchester Hotel, a Victorian landmark in Cabbagetown, and points to a salmon-coloured brick tower five storeys above the southeast corner of Parliament and Winchester Streets.

"There used to be a dome up there with a flagpole that was visible throughout the city," he said. "Apparently, the new owner has some plans to replace those."

Mr. McLeod, a Cabbagetown resident, has become the de facto leader in a movement to persuade the Winchester's owner not to go ahead with his plans for the site.

As development battles go, this might seem to be a fairly standard fight: Heritage-minded civic activists combatting a new owner bent on developing a historic landmark, in this case the Winchester, built in the 1880s by architect Thomas Kennedy.

The fight is already getting nasty. Only a week after the owner, John Bernardo, met with local heritage groups to discuss his plans, profanity-laced posters appeared on the Winchester's front door.

The new owner is mystified. Mr. Bernardo, who calls himself a small-time developer with an engineering background, isn't about to demolish the Winchester and replace it with a parking lot. He is making an effort to restore the exterior, expecting to spend more than $150,000 on the former hotel, including $10,000 to strip a layer of pink granite cladding that has masked the main floor's original bricks for decades.

He plans to install windows that are more faithful to the heritage aesthetic, and he will ask an existing business -- a Subway sandwich shop -- to change its fluorescent sign to something more in keeping with the antique vibe.

In fact, Mr. Bernardo hopes that when he is done, the building will look more or less as it did when it was new.

So why are opponents conducting e-mail writing campaigns to local politicians such as city Councillor Pam McConnell?

Activists like Mr. McLeod say they are upset with Mr. Bernardo's choice of tenant -- a Tim Hortons. The coffee shop plans to open a location in the front half of the old pub in three to four months, said Nick Javor, vice-president of corporate affairs for the company, which is owned by Wendy's International.

"Rest assured, we know it's a historic building," Mr. Javor said. "And we're working to preserve that feel. We have no desire to ruin the historic exterior. It's not going to be a typical cookie-cutter Tim Hortons as you might see in the suburbs.

"The tables won't be from the 1800s, but we'll include things like exposed brick walls and artifact displays that educate people about the building's heritage. It's not all going to be plastic veneer."

Some Cabbagetown residents object to a new Tim Hortons, which already has a kiosk in a gas station just north of the Winchester, because it will lure customers from locally owned caffeine dispensers such as neighbourhood stalwart Jet Fuel.

For others, however, the issue is more complicated.

"My opposition to what's happening with the Winchester is not a blanket opposition to Tim Hortons," Mr. McLeod said. "I like their coffee and bagels. To me, it's a question of what's the appropriate use for the most prestigious spot in the neighbourhood."

Mr. McLeod mentions the Drake, Jeff Stober's boutique hotel, which helped spark Parkdale's revitalization. "The Winchester and the Drake were built nine years apart. The Winchester is the most visible building in this area, and something like that would be a great thing to spark the rejuvenation of Parliament Street."

The root cause of the problem some Cabbagetown residents have with Mr. Bernardo's plans for the Winchester may come down to a case of Parkdale envy.

The mostly well-to-do Cabbagetowners have a contentious relationship with their strip of Parliament, a down-at-the-heels stretch that runs several blocks and contains one of the city's highest concentration of dollar stores.

Residents look at the Winchester and see the possibilities. They want an extreme makeover like the ones that brightened Parkdale, thanks to Mr. Stober and the Drake Hotel and the Zeidler family's continuing makeover of the Gladstone Hotel.

The neighbourhood generally was happy with the Laurentian Room, a nightclub on the Winchester's second floor, recently refurbished to enhance its art-deco motif. The pub attracts an eclectic mix of artists and professionals.

Residents had hoped that was the beginning of an overhaul for the building -- and the neighbourhood.

"Parliament Street is ripe for a makeover," Mr. McLeod said, "and the Winchester needs to be the linchpin in that. Unfortunately, that won't happen with Tim Hortons in there."

I'm beginning to hate Tim Hortons. They just opened one at Victoria and King and are about to open another at Victoria and Wellington. My wife and I were at Harbourfront yesterday and the only place to get a muffin was Tim Hortons. The chain is taking over.

The neighbourhood will loose at the OMB if they try to decide what is "appropriate uses". This also would have a dire effect on other businesses that want to renovate and find clients. Why is Tim's worse than Starbucks. Maybe they should request an interior mock up before using profanity.

What a bunch of bellyachers... do they want to guy to leave his building empty until somebody who wants to build a hotel comes along? Or do they insist that he become a hotelier?

Maybe I'll find this Mr. McLeod's place in Cabbagetown, and begin a letter writing campaign insisting that his residence should really be a juggler's supply shop, and if he can't find a tenant, then dammit he can do it himself! It's not rocket science.

I'm with the bellyachers on this one. Open a Tims and pretty soon the area will be littered with cups and those little bags you put bagels in. There is something about the products in that place that sends receptors to the brain which say, "Don't use trash cans."

The guy they talked to in the above article seems reasonable enough - about it being the premier place in Cabbage, but putting an Anywhere/Nowhere place like a TH sort of doesn't work - and he makes the point this isn't against TH personally. I really liked the Winchester - we were hoping to hold Spacing Salons in the great back room starting this summer. Sad.

There's probably a lunatic fringe who puts obsenity laced posters up - but if that guy is in charge it seems smart and reasonable.

The Win is one in a million.

And there is a "Tim's" (including appropriate litter) 200 feet north at the GAS station.

This is Tim learning from the Seattle juggernaut... discuss.

Why is Tim's worse than Starbucks.

Remember the Starbucks vs Dooneys battle of a few years back? Been there, done that...

Personally, what bothers me most is that the guy deems the neon sign unsalvageable/not worth salvaging. All in all what makes this different from Drake/Gladstone is a touch of the "Lookit me! I'm restoring this Victorian Hotel for the Community!" dum-dum's approach...

I'm sorry but to compare the the Winchester with a Tim Hortons to the Drake as a unique boutique hotel is wrong. If Stober had done all those renos and then cheapened it by allowing a Tim Hortons to open inside you can guarantee that it would not be the draw that it is today. If the Winchester was going to be something unique then great more power to ya; but to do all of this work only to have a Tim Horton's occupy the space is like putting a new paint job on a rust old Chevy and calling it original. This guy is exactly what's wrong with most developers here in Toronto. They do not care one bit about their product. They disgust me and I am really getting sick of their half assed effort.

WHOOPS. I just reread the original post and I had it all wrong. Mr. Mcloed is on my side. Sorry! I still stand by my original rant aboutthe sad state of developers here. Errrr...go home Tim's. (long day for me:\ )

Interesting comparison is the Ryrie Building at Yonge & Shuter. A splendid, award-winning exterior restoration...but in the process, they trashed the Silver Rail, as well as (more unsung) one of the greatest old-fashioned film-noir interior rabbit-warrens of jewellers, doctors' offices, etc. On behalf of the HQ for *ahem* Context.

If "high style" and "good taste" is a villain anywhere, it's here.

Tim Horton's is taking over - but it is one of the beter chains really - they hae shown that they are willing to adapt to local architecture and standards - scuch as the Weber Street location in Kitchener. They are better corportate citizens than McDonald's (paying better than minimium wage, for example).

On the other hand, the Winchester is perfect for an independant arts/cultural gathering place like the Drake. There are enough Timmy's in the general area anyway (the mini location at Carleton and Jarvis, for example).

And yes, the TH litter is a big problem, but I see no difference between TH customers than McDonald's or anything else. Cigarette butts and wrappers annoy me more.

I was along Parliament street this weekend and noticed the petition. I guess I feel differently, if the "our neighbourhood is so precious" types were spending more time on Parliament and putting their dollars there, it might have better restaurants and better retail. Cycling through the residential streets and on Parliament itself could not present a greater contrast, and it makes me think that the owners of those $750.000 are all dining elsewhere than Parliament. If I were renovating the hotel, would I risk a high-end restaurant or bar in that area, when there is no evidence of neighbourhood support for that kind of establishment?

Fast food chains are actually on the defensive in my area (koreatown / bloor west) McDonalds closed and KFC is either rennovating their tacky box corporate aesthetic or preparing to leave.

This reminds me of a saying someone told me: "Cabbagetown does not shop on Parliament."

I think I just got it.

Walk by almost any downtown Tim Horton's. You will almost always see a panhandler in front of the doors, sometimes opening them for customers (for some reason, unlike McDonald's or elsewhere) The anti-Tim Horton's fight might be about keeping a magnet for undesirables out.

Back