News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Wilshire on the Green (St. Clair E @ Warden, Norstar, 7s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Kenner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this one is going? the expected date is fall '09 but they haven't started excavation.

Anyone got the inside Scoop?

Looks like this is by Willowfield Homes, the developer of another project we know and love, Star of Downtown.

For your sake, I hope they've learned from their mistakes.

Looks like this is by Willowfield Homes, the developer of another project we know and love, Star of Downtown.

For your sake, I hope they've learned from their mistakes.

hm....i don't understand, i'm kinda new around here lol... please clarify.

Toronto Star did an article on it earlier this year:

The sales guy said that they should start construction at the end of Aug. Looks like they have sold about 110/191 or so units last time I checked.

I don't really have any more info than that. Anyone here purchase a unit?
--
ST. CLAIR AND WARDEN
Cutting out the 'fancy-schmancy' amenities
February 7, 2009
Comments on this story (0)

Amy Brown-Bowers

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

The name of Norstar's latest development, Wilshire On The Green, represents many of the condominium's selling points.

The seven-storey building contains environmentally friendly construction components, its external elevation is entirely of green-tinted glass, it's built on a ravine system and it is located directly on the Bloor-Danforth subway route.

Recently launched Phase 2 is comprised of the final 98 units in the building, which will be located northwest of St. Clair and Warden Aves. at 60 Fairfax Cres. Phase 1 includes 100 suites and was launched late spring 2008. Units range from one-bedrooms with about 530 square feet, to three-bedrooms with about 1,100 square feet and prices go from $169,900 to $350,000. Estimated occupancy for both phases is spring 2010.

"One of the keys to the success ... is the location," says Mitch Markowitz, director of sales and marketing for Norstar Development, adding, "We're the kind of builder that likes to build on the TTC with a bus at the door. And this, as Emeril Lagasse would say, kicked it up a notch because it's not just the bus, it's the subway."

The development was designed to fit aesthetically into the surrounding residential neighbourhood, hence the midrise elevation.

"We felt that we could have gotten zoned for 18 to 20 floors but the building wouldn't have fit nicely into the neighbourhood. Seven storeys is a nice fit," Markowitz says, adding, "The public who came in loved the look of the building – they loved that it wasn't a highrise."

Being located in a well-established community, "all the infrastructure is all there, the TTC is there, the churches, the schools, the shopping," Markowitz says, adding: "Everything is within a five-minute walk."

Also in the immediate area is a ravine system that extends south to the lake.

"This is one of the last bastions of green in Scarborough," Markowitz says. "There's a huge ravine just south of us and one can, if one wanted to, walk from there all the way to Lake Ontario," he adds.

Focus group research indicated that potential buyers were much more concerned with low maintenance fees than splashy amenities, hence the pared-down offerings, which will include: "a small but elegant lobby area," a party room, an exercise room and spa area with steam baths and change rooms for both men and women, and a landscaped rooftop terrace.

Cutting out "fancy-schmancy, splashy amenities" means maintenance fees will be about half of comparable projects at roughly 24 cents per square foot, Markowitz says. Unit features include imported ceramic tiles, oversized balconies, an in-suite entraphone system, and glass French dining room doors as per plans.

Toronto-Dominion Bank is offering buyers a 1 per cent discount off the standard posted mortgage and Norstar is offering a rebate equal to a 2 per cent discount on their mortgage. For a limited time, units will include a free underground parking spot and storage locker, granite countertops, flooring resembling hardwood in the living room and dining room, and stainless steel appliances.

For information, call 416-285-0555.

Kenner - why still interested so many months later?

Haven't the earlier warnings about this being a Willowfield/Norstar project, the people who brought the city The Star of Downtown been enough to warn you off? That project, which Norstar doesn't even admit to having built on their website, was so fraught with problems I don't know where to begin. All I can say is read the Star of Downtown thread, and forget about this project.

Unless of course you (6 posts only, restricted to this project and Liberty of the Park) and Bruizeman (1st time poster just above) have an interest in pushing this project. If that's the case, you two go ahead and fake your way through a conversation and try to sell a few condos to uninformed saps. Have fun!

i would hardly call the readers of THIS forum uninformed.

There is no doubt in my mind, or anyone elses here i would imagine, that the benefits from say a tridel or other more reputable developer is greater than norstar however the costs of this project is significantly lower than the others and that would be what makes people interested. Yes, you get less but you also pay less. (sales guy said $350k for 3 bdroom/2 bath 1100 sq ft unit)

having read through the entire sod thread i am aware of the potential problems, so thank you urban toronto, and any interested buyers should educate themselves accordingly.

as for my post count... well you have to start somewhere and reading doesnt require me to register and i had no reason to post until now.

it's not that i'm looking to buy, i have a friend who bought into there and i was wondering if they would be able to pull out anytime soon.

Daily Commercial News

Looks like this is ready to start construction ~ :)

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BUILDING
Proj: 9092948-4
Scarborough, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/START
Wilshire on the Green, 60 Fairfax Cres, St Clair Ave E, M1L 0E1
$40,000,000 est

Start: September, 2009

Complete: September, 2010

Note: All Sub trade pricing is secured.

Project: concrete foundation, structural steel frame, fuel fired heating system, construction of a seven storey glass-clad condominium apartment buliding with 198 units. Amenities will include a fitness centre, spa, party room and landscaped rooftop terrace.

Scope: 392,000 square feet; 7 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 198 units; parking for 230 cars; 2 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs; Recreational bldgs

First report Fri Nov 28, 2008. Last report Thu Jul 23, 2009.
This report Tue Sep 29, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=d6c740e8b0d67f80dd8763c98cdf18e0c9f30bd1&projectid=9092948&region=ontario

The location absolutely sucks. Surrounding by warehousing that has seen better days, cheap infill housing, and the subway isn't that close.

Well that's a bit harsh Maestro, the location is within walking distance of a subway station and might nicely suit someone who works in Scarborough, wants to be near family there, etc. The area is upgrading considerably, now that Warden Woods (remember them?) is gone. However, as discussed earlier, I'd be leery of this project just because of who the developer is.

BTW: 198 units on only 7 floors? Yikes!

Back